Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Brigand Doom vs. Shadows Round 3 Heat 8

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 May, 2022, 06:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well a very significant week in the tournament as we enter Round 3 after the seemingly unending Round two. We're down to the last 128 thrills and from here the quality will step up,  but the choices start to get harder. But the lovely thing about this round is there is still plenty of room for mis-matches...

Final tie of the week is a gift for these intros. Brigand Doom came out of David D'Antiquis lush, deep Shadows to see off Disaster 1990 and then proved Kelly's Eye wasn't immortal in Round 2. Shadows bring un doom to Bonjo and under-rated sports classic Second City Blues...

...look I said a gift not one you'd want!

Brigand Doom - more info

Vs

Shadows - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 15th May and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

davidbishop

The art of Dave is doing a lot of heavy lifting [along with some lucky draws] to carry Brigand Doom into round 4.

abelardsnazz

IndigoPrime

Brigand Doom: great style, but no substance. It didn't know what it wanted to be, so although it looks great, it reads like a dud. Shadows is no 2000 AD classic, but it has that substance. Also, given where we are today, it seems quite prescient. So: Shadows.

AlexF

Brigand Doom was a great series with stellar art, but remained in search of more than one actually well-conceived plot. Shadows was a very interesting one-off tale with charming art. I guess both are attempting to comment on how unfair it is that there will always be rich people who care not a jot for the plight of the poor. I wish Doom had been better than it actually was, because the bits where the large occiasonally zombified man in 18th century garb delivers poetic justice were neat, but in this team up it's the psychedelic cyber-tramps who win for me. Maybe, if McKenzie had pulled off a Mulholland Drive thing where Investigator Nine turned out to be Doom all along, but in a dream world, I'd give it more credit - but the story never quite got there.

Shadows.

credo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 May, 2022, 08:28:06 AM
Brigand Doom: great style, but no substance. It didn't know what it wanted to be, so although it looks great, it reads like a dud. Shadows is no 2000 AD classic, but it has that substance. Also, given where we are today, it seems quite prescient. So: Shadows.

This, so Shadows for me.

Doom was a good idea searching for an execution. Unfortunately, that idea was V for Vendetta already.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 May, 2022, 08:28:06 AM

This sums it up for me too. Another vote for Shadows here please Colin.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Blue Cactus

Tharg. Reprint Shadows in the next few days so I can vote here please. Thanks bud.

Proudhuff

Quote from: davidbishop on 12 May, 2022, 07:20:11 AM
The art of Dave is doing a lot of heavy lifting [along with some lucky draws] to carry Brigand Doom into round 4.

This for me ^^^^
DDT did a job on me

Huey2