Main Menu

Side-side-vote - The golden goose-stepper

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 25 June, 2022, 11:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

he should die. for real. not hersheyied. and his death should be understated and unsignposted. it just is. and then we should have the citizens' pov, the reality of life under a brutal police state and all the damage done by this conceited, dysfunctional, dreddful man.

oh. and mcmahon.

AlexF

Option 1 & 4, but definitely up for Option 9 to be the final Mega Epic before his brain goes into a re-juved body and THEN gets killed unceremoniously before Rico and co take over, Taggart style.

GoGilesGo

I'm torn between 4 & 6

4.  The Taggart solution - He should die, and an ensemble of supporting characters should take over.
6.  The Stront - he dies, then we just dip into past cases here and there.  (But he isn't resurrected).

Both sound like they have legs. However, 6 basically does what the Regened issues are doing at the moment, and what Douglas Wolk did a while back with Mega City Two : City of Courts. Neither quiet delivered on their promise.

The Taggart Solution sounds like the best bet, if writers are careful not to stray into Strontium Dogs territory.

sheridan

Dredd needs to go in to suspended animation to be revived in a late 22nd century Soviet city*.

* see Red Razors for further details.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 27 June, 2022, 12:20:06 PM
Dredd needs to go in to suspended animation to be revived in a late 22nd century Soviet city*.

* see Red Razors for further details.

While in sus an the supporting cast of Fargo bloodline clones can carry the strip.

credo

Option 3 (Chief Judge), with heavy leaning into Option 4 of ensemble piece (with lots of episodes not including him), followed by Option 2.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there the suggestion that Robo-Hunter was in the same universe as Dredd (ish)? Couldn't we go with the whole unshielded faster-than-light de-ageing a-la Verdus, which could be done behind his back? I'd imagine there's mileage in Dredd being robbed of his one chance at posthumous peace.

Richard

I think that just came from both series mentioning a city called Brit-Cit, that's all.

The Legendary Shark

Dredd fatally injured, put into cryo moments before death. Justice Department tries to cover it up, representing Rico as Dredd. The secret gets out. Rico leads a coup to tidy up the Department but becomes a tyrant. The only one who can stop him, Dredd, is resurrected and fixed. Dredd kills Rico and everything goes back to normal(ish).

It seems to me that the whole Dredd run can be subtitled "The Decline and fall of Mega City One" so Dredd should die when the City does.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richard

They sounds pretty similar to what already happened in Necropolis.

sheridan

Quote from: credo on 27 June, 2022, 12:27:15 PM
Option 3 (Chief Judge), with heavy leaning into Option 4 of ensemble piece (with lots of episodes not including him), followed by Option 2.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there the suggestion that Robo-Hunter was in the same universe as Dredd (ish)? Couldn't we go with the whole unshielded faster-than-light de-ageing a-la Verdus, which could be done behind his back? I'd imagine there's mileage in Dredd being robbed of his one chance at posthumous peace.

There's a few similar themes but too many contradictions as well.

Early Robo-Hunter mentioned Mega-City One in one narration box.
Slade took a zoom to Brit-Cit (both terms used in Judge Dredd) at the end of Day of the Droids.

The year that Slade went to Verdus was 2140, which was the Dredd year in stories published in 2018.  The New York depicted in Robo-Hunter doesn't match up that shown in Dredd (people like Slade running around with weapons, etc).

To top it all, the Pacfic Ocean shown in a 2198 map (after Slade has died in 2147, been resurrected*, then naturally aged 51 years, then gets taken on a hunt for the Island of Doctor Droid) has a whole bunch of cities we've not seen in the Dreddverse, plus no sign of the damage from multiple wars.

Also there's the matter of two international Robot Wars which we haven't seen in Dredd.

* it's complicated.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

How about: Rico disappears from the strip for ages, Dredd gets very banged up in one episode and has to have surgery. Then a year of normal Dredd stories before it's revealed he had the body/ brain swop a year or so ago, Rico is gone for good, and Dredd has just accepted it and moved on. No fuss.

SBT

Dash Decent

Or:

An epic story where Dredd is killed in the line of duty early on, but then the Chief Justice reveals (in the last panel of that week's prog) that the moment has been prepared for.

In the next instalment he explains to the Council (and the readers) that the Dredd we have been following for years isn't the real Dredd we started with in prog 1 but has already been swapped somewhere along the line for a back-up clone.

We know Justice dept has multiple Dredd clones on the streets.  Now we learn they put one aside when they realised how useful it was just having the perps know there was a 'Dredd' out there, somewhere, AND ALSO already used the option.  They swapped the real Dredd out when he was injured in (some story we can make into a subtle off-ramp).  The Justice dept then bring the real Dredd out of cryo, where he's been for 15+ years and is thus 15 or more years younger.

Thus instead of 2000AD having to solve the problem of an old, aged Dredd, and how to legitimise his successor, we "actually" get the real, younger, "legitimate" Dredd.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Dash Decent on 28 June, 2022, 12:36:54 AM
In the next instalment he explains to the Council (and the readers) that the Dredd we have been following for years isn't the real Dredd we started with in prog 1 but has already been swapped somewhere along the line for a back-up clone.

See, now - if that had been the plot of The Citadel...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Kill the City, not Dredd. Slowly strip everything away until only Dredd is left; the Last Judge, all alone in the lifeless ruins where justice, finally, prevails.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Dash Decent on 28 June, 2022, 12:36:54 AM
Or:

An epic story where Dredd is killed in the line of duty early on, but then the Chief Justice reveals (in the last panel of that week's prog) that the moment has been prepared for.

And the story in which the switchover ocurred would have been The Confeshuns of PJ Maybe, because the starscan that prog featured a barefoot Dredd which (for reasons I don't understand) 'proves' that a member of a group died and was replaced.