Main Menu

Hivemind query - anyone recognise this story?

Started by Dash Decent, 26 June, 2022, 04:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

This was posted on Reddit.  I thought someone here might be able to help:

"I started reading 2000ad and Judge Dredd as a kid in around 1990, when a friend at school brought along a couple of progs and an annual from '86 (I think). Immediately fell in love with it. In one of the progs there was a short story where Dredd went into a block where a bunch of mutants had taken over a gymnasium. After taking care of most of them, Dredd comes face to face with the biggest of the mutants, who seems to be impervious to the shots from his lawmaker. So of course, he proceeds to drive to the end of the swimming pool, revs up his lawmaster, and ramps over the diving board, igniting the booster rockets (yes), and impales the mutant with the bike, diving of the bike at the last minute into the pool. The art was epic, and the story was brutal and to the point, classic Dredd. Can anyone please help me find the story / prog? Cheers!"

He's since said his timing is probably wrong but that he strongly remembers Dredd using his bike to spear the big EOLM baddy.

I thought even if it's actually from some non Dredd thing someone might know.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

NapalmKev

My hazy memory is telling me that it was a story drawn by Carlos Ezquerra and the character in question had a metal plate on his head (not Mean Machine). Maybe a Sov super-soldier?

Not much help I'm afraid!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dash Decent on 26 June, 2022, 04:42:38 AM
He's since said his timing is probably wrong but that he strongly remembers Dredd using his bike to spear the big EOLM baddy.

Isn't that the single episode 'Firepower' by Ennis and MacNeil?

(Prog 736, Case Files 16, according to Google.)

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 June, 2022, 08:27:46 AM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 26 June, 2022, 04:42:38 AM

Isn't that the single episode 'Firepower' by Ennis and MacNeil?

Yep, definitely.
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

That was my first thought too.  The only story where the Lawmaster gets sarky with Dredd.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paddykafka

And that's not the only time that Dredd has used his Lawmaster to take out a perp.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-k54BzlItSVA/VmmkzHNWMEI/AAAAAAAADus/CggOrnS3HrI/s1600/forward%2Band%2Breverse.jpg

Makes me wonder if it forms part of the curriculum in the Academy of Law.  :D

GoGilesGo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 June, 2022, 09:19:47 AM
That was my first thought too.  The only story where the Lawmaster gets sarky with Dredd.

The ONLY story?

JayzusB.Christ

Ah, fair enough. Thought it was a bit of an odd concept fit Garth Ennis to introduce out of nowhere.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

GoGilesGo

There's also that fun moment early in The Judge Child Quest when Dredd is working a pincer movement against the brotherhood of trash: him on the inside of the camp, his bike on the outside.

The lawmaster approaches the front gate, guarded by two monks who start taking the piss:

Monk 1 : HALT! Heck, that sounds dumb. How do ya threaten a machine?
Monk 2: Maybe we outta speak to it in bike...PHUT! PHUT! PHUT! That means STOP!
Monk 1 : ha ha. VROOM! VROOM! That means scram or we fire!

the bike puts a bullet in each monk, accompanied by a lovely Tom Frame BLAM! BLAM!

Lawmaster : That means DROP DEAD. Thank you.

JayzusB.Christ

Classic! Never knew your standard Lawmaster was a bit of a comedian.  More of this kind of thing!

The Legendary Shark

Wasn't there one where Dredd jumped off his Lawmaster mid-turbo-boost, leaving the bike to plummet to destruction, and the bike says something like "Thanks a bunch!" Or did I dream it?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 June, 2022, 06:32:14 PM

Wasn't there one where Dredd jumped off his Lawmaster mid-turbo-boost, leaving the bike to plummet to destruction, and the bike says something like "Thanks a bunch!" Or did I dream it?

Same story, I think.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

This has made me realize that Lawmaster on the Loose (prog 202) is like a precursor to Mechanismo. It has the same sort of dialogue ("Bleeding on the public highway is an offence against the litter act!") and the plot is similar ("Gorman's Lawmaster does not respond to computer cut-out signal!").

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 June, 2022, 07:23:07 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 June, 2022, 06:32:14 PM

Same story, I think.

Holy heck - you're right. How come I can remember this and not my own 'phone number?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dash Decent

Thanks everyone.

"Seb Coe Sportsplex" - that's got to be it!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.