Main Menu

Post-Horned God Sláine

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 19 January, 2024, 07:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000BC

Quote from: Max Headroom on 19 January, 2024, 07:45:56 PMI still think that overall the series deserves the 'definitive' deluxe treatment that Nemesis is undergoing at the moment.

I agree.  The Nemesis Definitive edition is an amazing book, Slaine done the same way would be great.

Quote from: paddykafka on 20 January, 2024, 03:17:10 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 January, 2024, 08:06:02 PMThat would need... an awful lot of books.
I bet that Slaine wouldn't think them too many.  ;)

Anyone want to guess how many?!

rs_jr

Agree we need the same treatment for Slaine as Nemisis got.

I really love Slaine and would love more.

Rebellion please make good with uncle Pat and give us more Slaine.

Woolly

A definitive edition series for Slaine would be most welcome, but it'd be a killer on the wallet!
I was thinking of a more curated version, just the important stories kinda thing. But... there really isn't much you can cut out without missing too much of the overall tale.
Of course, a definitive edition with healthy royalties for the creators may be a good first step in getting Pat Mills to come back and properly finish it all, but I can't ever see that happening.

Looking forward to seeing the scan/print quality of the Horned God reprint later this year.

2000BC

I did some quick research* using Barney and the Ultimate Collection Wikipedia page to add up the total number of pages of Nemesis and Slaine that have appeared in the Prog. 
Nemesis has had 715 pages of strip, 29 covers, and 7 star scans.  Adding up to 751 total pages.
Slaine has had 2159 pages of strip, 80 covers, and 8 star scans.  Adding up to 2247 total pages.
It looks like Slaine has had (almost) three times the amount of pages in the Prog so would need three times the amount of Definitive Edition books. So 15 books!

*May be incorrect.

Funt Solo

Quote from: 2000BC on 22 January, 2024, 04:54:47 PMNemesis has had 715 pages of strip, 29 covers, and 7 star scans.  Adding up to 751 total pages.

I get 912 pages of strip, 36 covers, 36 posters and about 12 feature pages.

I'm including quite a lot of content, like the Deadlock series etc. Data source.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: 2000BC on 22 January, 2024, 04:54:47 PMSlaine has had 2159 pages of strip, 80 covers, and 8 star scans.  Adding up to 2247 total pages.

My Slaine count is 2491.5. (That includes strip, posters, features and Tomb of Terror.)

Covers add another 103 pages.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Robin Low

What if they stopped at (or just before) The Horned God?

Personally, that would do me fine, even though I liked that post-HG one-off by Fabry and The Books of Invasion/Wanderer.

Regards,
Robin

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Robin Low on 22 January, 2024, 07:00:35 PMWhat if they stopped at (or just before) The Horned God?
Robin

Think I said it before, but for me the last page of the Horned God was the perfect ending - the hero's journey was complete.  Obviously, though, it wouldn't have made much financial sense for Tharg to stop the story in its tracks when it had just become an international phenomenon.

The only real loose end for me was Balor - I could have happily lived with the deliberate ambiguity of Medb's end after the battle against Feg.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

2000BC

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 22 January, 2024, 06:32:33 PM
Quote from: 2000BC on 22 January, 2024, 04:54:47 PMNemesis has had 715 pages of strip, 29 covers, and 7 star scans.  Adding up to 751 total pages.

I get 912 pages of strip, 36 covers, 36 posters and about 12 feature pages.

I'm including quite a lot of content, like the Deadlock series etc. Data source.

I was hoping you would show up with some more accurate numbers.

I used the Nemesis data from Barney and didn't include the Deadlock series etc.  I wonder if that series and the ABC Black Hole series will be included in the Definitive Edition?  I'm hoping the Black Hole is - Bisley's art at that size would be great.

rs_jr

id buy a 15 volume deluxe edition
3 volumes a year (hopefully they do wright by uncle PAT).

Le Fink

I stopped reading the prog not that long after The Horned God - caught some of the post THG Fabry and Power stuff - and only came back because of the Hachette collection. I found reading through the remaining Slaine collections a slog. The stories were repetitive (art still very good). If I was getting it weekly as part of an anthology I might have liked it better.

I prefer the earlier black and white stories, where Slaine had no responsibilities, Ukko for comic relief, and he looked like he was having fun while carving off someone's brainball. The Horned God, nice art aside, was when it got a bit too po-faced. So I'd love everything up to the tomb of terror in the definitive format. Horned God would be a bonus, mainly for the art.

IndigoPrime

I didn't find it any better at the time. It lost a lot of magic and weirdness and became mired in Mills's increasingly preachy writing style. That's why I was so disappointed with Brutania. That first book felt like a return to something fresh – a weird mythical place that had echoes of the best Sláine and hints of Mignola weirdness. The second book almost felt like it was from an entirely different writer.

My fear with such a long series would be whether it'd get completed. 2000 AD books aren't exactly known for their evergreen nature. (I see regular queries elsewhere online, asking whether certain phonebook editions are coming back into print.) However, it would perhaps be the most obvious choice after those that are already in existence as HC collections (SD and Nemesis).

It's hard to think of anything else with quite that level of pulling power. Nikolai Dante is wonderful, but sustaining an eight-to-10-volume collection across maybe five or six years would be a big ask.

Le Fink

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 January, 2024, 09:13:26 AMIt's hard to think of anything else with quite that level of pulling power.
There's Dredd of course - have we ever had a definitive type edition of, say, the Judge Child Quest? Maybe with the related Angel episodes and City of the Damned. Some choice McMahon, Bolland, Dillon and Ezquerra in there.

IndigoPrime

Sure, but I meant in the sense of a complete collection of a strip. There's no way Rebellion is mad enough to embark on a HC collection of Dredd. The HC Case Files 1 never getting a follow-up suggests it's not a viable prospect. (Cherry picking works for the Essentials. I'm half surprised those haven't had webshop HC editions, but again perhaps those don't hold enough appeal, since likely buyers will probably already have this stuff unlike, say, The Out, new Dredd, or Treasury books.)

nxylas

I'd settle for a uniform edition with numbered volumes, like the Case Files. I'd imagine that anyone wanting to read or reread the entire saga from beginning to end would find the current set of reprint volumes a tad confusing.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!