Main Menu

Prog 2230 - Takin' Care Of Business

Started by NapalmKev, 01 May, 2021, 07:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Hopefully we can revisit the SJS thread and get a resolution to the fact that "SJS can do anything at any time".
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JudgeJudi

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 05 May, 2021, 09:59:43 AM
The last panel clearly implies a motive.

He now has "the chance to make good on what he came back here to do."

So he came back from Titan to do something. Now the SJS welcome wagon is out his hear, he has the chance to do it.

He wants to serve the city and work for the city again - which is why Dredd sorts him that job at the end.

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Leigh S on 05 May, 2021, 09:13:34 AMCopper just confesses and despite them pretty much knowing there's a wider conspiracy, they aren't going to do anything to get the real story?

Not even difficult to start the investigation. All they need to do is requisition SJS internal comm recordings (I'm looking at you, Roffman) for the three or four days prior to the showdown and they get Copper involving Kerubo over the radio and Kerubo delivering the line 'Okay people, we have a welcome wagon op rapidly going south on us...'

Plus you have the syringe the rookie is taking to the lab....all of which makes me think this is just the beginning of a wider 'something rotten in the state of SJS HQ' story.

JimmyNailz

I loved how Thistlebone starts with Malcolm saying, [spoiler]"Glad you could join me, I think you have the wrong idea about me" before he goes on to explain we had the EXACT right idea about him![/spoiler] Nice subversion of what I expected to be [spoiler]him making himself out to be the victim of everything[/spoiler]

Unlike a television show about police corruption I could mention, I thought Dredd landed the ending of A Penitent Man rather nicely.

Barrington Boots

My first reading of Penitent Man was also that Asher had come back to serve the city / make a difference and that he was now all sorted, but Mrs. Boots immediately said "So what is he really up to then?"

I think / hope we'll see Asher again.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Kudos to whoever came up with the "Bowel loosening" tag line on the cover. Genius, to tie in so well with the strip.
Lock up your spoons!

pauljholden

my kingdom for an intestinauts animated series...

Richard

QuoteSo he came back from Titan to do something.
In episode one he says "I swore an oath to serve this city. I still want to do that... even if it means spending the day wading through toxic sludge."
Not every character in fiction has to be on a mysterious quest or a rampage of revenge.
He might show up again one day, but he's just a Resyk driver.

Leigh S

Quite.

We know what he came back to do - we were shown in the previous episode - he is sending money to the daughter of the man he killed - he wants to make up for his past wrongs... the clue is in the title surely?

Quote from: Richard on 05 May, 2021, 03:37:49 PM
QuoteSo he came back from Titan to do something.
In episode one he says "I swore an oath to serve this city. I still want to do that... even if it means spending the day wading through toxic sludge."
Not every character in fiction has to be on a mysterious quest or a rampage of revenge.
He might show up again one day, but he's just a Resyk driver.

The Corinthian

Quote from: Leigh S on 05 May, 2021, 04:18:12 PM
Quite.

We know what he came back to do - we were shown in the previous episode - he is sending money to the daughter of the man he killed - he wants to make up for his past wrongs... the clue is in the title surely?

The circumstances of the killing have also been left hazy, so there may be more to it than we're currently led to believe.

TordelBack

Quote from: Leigh S on 05 May, 2021, 04:18:12 PM

Also the perfect cover for a darker scheme. 20 years of hell to plot: work a shite job, send money to the daughter establishing shingles a pure motive, get on Dredd's good side by drawing out the Welcome Wagon and dealing with the SJS precisely inside the boundaries of the law, and end up in the Auxiliaries positioning himself for... What? 

Not every Niemand character can be an altruist, surely?

TordelBack

Leigh S

My guess is that he is really [spoiler]PJ Maybe[/spoiler]

ianlineham@yahoo.com

Why are they not investigating?
Clearly Copper is taking the fall for someone higher up  and even Dredd and Buell aren't placed to take on the top of the SJS...yet

Leigh S

Kerubo is not really top of teh SJS though as far as I can tell - and on one page its "dont worry Dredd we will throoughly investigate" to the next page "no need, I did it all on my own Guvnor"...  is that really how the Judges operate - they arent so gullible as to accept that at face value. 

I'm not against the whole investigation being shut down and Dredd locked out of it precisely because he doesnt ahve the power to do anything else, but this just felt off. 

Still, it's a good tale all round, and at least it's got us debating, which is a feat in and of itelf!

(Asher is clearly [spoiler]PJ Maybe[/spoiler] though, it becomes clearer every second!