Main Menu

Prog 2367; A New Direction

Started by Tjm86, 27 January, 2024, 09:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

This prog actually feels like Regened done right. I wouldn't go so far as to call it an all-ages takeover, but Thistlebone aside, I thought it felt "younger" than the prog has done in a long time, in a good way.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Barrington Boots

That's a good shout: take Thistlebone out, and the other non-Dredd stories felt much more like something my nephew and niece would enjoy in a sci-fi comic. That fits more my definition of 'all ages'.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

nxylas

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 01 February, 2024, 08:55:24 AMThat's a good shout: take Thistlebone out, and the other non-Dredd stories felt much more like something my nephew and niece would enjoy in a sci-fi comic. That fits more my definition of 'all ages'.
I think even the Dredd story is in the spirit of the Democracy saga, which began when 2000AD wis still aimed at a primarily YA audience.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JayzusB.Christ

I thought the Democracy storyline was boring and rubbish when it first appeared - I was 10 and I wanted Monsteroso M16, Judge Death and Stan Lee, not normal people talking about politics. Fortunately I saw the error of my ways 3 or 4 years later.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

norton canes

Quote from: A.Cow on 30 January, 2024, 10:35:13 PM
Quote from: Grush on 30 January, 2024, 07:59:33 AMI would guess it's a Dr Who reference, given who the script droid is (has the Cornell droid worked for Tharg before?). See also the scientist at the British Experimental Space Programme called Elizabeth Shore (the scientific advisor to UNIT in Pertwee's first series was Liz Shaw).

Hmmm... a quick Google also reveals that:
  • Ladbroke Grove was a location for Remembrance of the Daleks.
  • Doctor Who took a two-week break in late 1977.
  • Doctor Who took a long break (from regular broadcast) between 1989 and 2005.
  • Doctor Who took a year-long break during 2016.
  • And the story is about someone travelling in time.

Interesting. 1989 and 2005 are obviously significant Who dates, marking the end of the old series and the start of the nu. That break in 1977 was just a couple of weeks off for Christmas though and apart from that there was a new producer, but it looks like it was pretty much business as usual for Tom Baker (pub-studio-pub-repeat). Is "our future starts to shut down completely" supposed to be a reference to the start of Jodie Whittaker's tenure in the following year? If so, sounds a bit mean-spirited. Perhaps things will become clearer in subsequent instalments of The English Astronaut.   

Elsewhere it's a delight to see the return of Full Tilt Boogie (with, yes, some proper recaps!), 'A Better World' shapes up to be a classic and Thistlebone is literally on fire. Plus, I had a proper read of Enemy Earth for the first time in a few weeks and now feel a bit guilty for not giving it enough attention, so I'll be back for a full read-through when this chapter reaches its conclusion.

Magnetica

So this should be a better Prog, now Devil's Railroad has ended (hopefully never to return).

But we've also lost Feral and Foe, so may be not.

This was a weaker episode of Dreddfor me; possibly because I can't remember anything about Major Domo.

The English Astronaut and FTB look great. With the former I'm not sure about the story so far, with the latter the recap just highlighted how much I'd forgotten about it. I'd like to do a re-read of the first series, but my back Progs aren't to hand.

I can't wait for Enemy Earth to wrap up. And not because I'm intrigued to find out what happens.

The best thing in the Prog is Thistlebone which really seems to getting to it. Which for what is mainly a talkie strip, is saying something.

Funt Solo

This prog entirely worth it just on the strength of Thistlebone.  :o
++ A-Z ++  coma ++