Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannbradfc

i've too much to read but lucky i now have two weeks off. At one time all i got was the 2000 progs and meg. But i wanted more and mistake or not i began to search. Been a late comer to comics really i had to research but the first thing i started collecting other than 2000 was animal man. I struck gold really and i've still got a few of them to read needing only four from  the 89 vol.2 run. Consequently i've got into doom patrol and justice league europe which is great fun, all dc you may have noticed. Prob is having to work out all the multiverse's is a bit mental. And sadly i've recently dropped buying the megazine. This is in part to finding other 'new' to me stuff to read. The tank girl thing was pap, and together with the citi defence dinosaur thing it just was'nt worth the time or money. The progs are still superb though and bought every week

Indeed my voyage into other comics has proved to me the value of the prog 32 pages LITTLE OR NO ADVERTS, BIGGER PICTURES AND A POUND CHEAPER THAN SOME COMICS. The american market needs to wake up as pretty soon no-one will be buying the monthlies and only getting trade paperbacks as its cheaper and less hassle.

anyone any other suggestions of what to buy bulk wise from the bargain bins, i've been recomeneded Starman and the question

House of Usher

I finally joined the library today. I've had no time even to read library books since leaving Leicester in 1995, so there was little point my joining sooner, despite the library's very good opening hours and the library being on my route about 3 days of the week; but at the moment I'm buying so few comics I'm all out of bedtime reading.

On my first borrowing:

Civil War
Constantine/Hellblazer: The Devil You Know, Black Flowers and Reasons to be Cheerful
Superman, True Brit

Deborah borrowed Nemesis vol.1, Caballistics Inc. 'Creepshow', Lemore 'Wedgies.'
STRIKE !!!

dannbradfc

Quote from: House of Usher on 17 August, 2009, 06:24:34 PM
I finally joined the library today. I've had no time even to read library books since leaving Leicester in 1995, so there was little point my joining sooner, despite the library's very good opening hours and the library being on my route about 3 days of the week; but at the moment I'm buying so few comics I'm all out of bedtime reading.

On my first borrowing:

Civil War
Constantine/Hellblazer: The Devil You Know, Black Flowers and Reasons to be Cheerful
Superman, True Brit

Deborah borrowed Nemesis vol.1, Caballistics Inc. 'Creepshow', Lemore 'Wedgies.'

dannbradfc

my library is sooo far out of date and its stock is just kiddie stuff i nthe main

Tjm86

Quote from: dannbradfc on 17 August, 2009, 06:05:06 PM

anyone any other suggestions of what to buy bulk wise from the bargain bins, i've been recomeneded Starman and the question

Don't know if you'll find them in the Bargain bins but 100 bullets and Y the last Man would be ones I would recommend.  The other stuff worth looking into is Edginton / Disraeli's War of The Worlds adaptations and Sequels [ Scarlet Traces / Great Game ].  Scarlet Traces was reprinted in the Meg a few years back and Dark Horse has done some very nice hardback editions of all three that are insanely reasonably priced [ £11 for Great Game ].  I must also confess an affection for The Alien Legion not to mention The Last American.

Dandontdare

On my first borrowing:

Civil War
Superman, True Brit

Manchester Libraries have a great graphic novel collection and add to it regularly. I can usually find at least half a dozen to get out every couple of weeks, mainly stuff I haven't read, occasionally an old favourite like Preacher or a Dredd GN.

They do seem oddly distributed though - half by the SF section and half in the kiddies/young adult section, often with very little discernment. I occasionally point out stuff by Garth Ennis or Grant Morrison to the staff, just so that they get the message and I don't have to browse in the kiddie area, with all the odd glances that causes!

Oh and True Brit is a bit shit I'm afraid. Co-written by John Cleese about 20 years after he had his last funny idea. I bought it (in hardback no less) on a surge of optimism following the excellent Superman:Red Son. Should've known better!

Daveycandlish

Quote from: House of Usher on 15 August, 2009, 11:38:46 AM
I'm currently reading the Roderick series of books for children. I had a good chuckle reading "Roderick Shoots a Spaniard." It took me ages to track down a copy of "Roderick Stalks an Eskimo" from an antiquarian bookseller, and frankly it wasn't worth the expense, but it's nice to have the set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUn5rwnROY&feature=PlayList&p=C1B51B4CAAAAFD44&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19

Roderick shoots a Spaniard?
Roderick Stalks an Eskimo?

I ain't not never heard of none of 'em!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Roger Godpleton

On my first borrowing:

Civil War
Superman, True Brit

You're welcome.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 17 August, 2009, 08:38:59 PM
You're welcome.

Cheers, I do remember you suggesting it. It's been on my 'to do' list for a long time. In fact, I joined the library in the town where I worked a year and a half ago, but it's taken me 8 years to join the one round the corner from where I live!
STRIKE !!!

SmallBlueThing

A big pile of late eighties Eagles, liberated from my local second hand bookshop at 50p each (minus a hefty discount). All splendid stuff, blah blah, Doomlord, Survival, Ortiz, Death Wish vs Dracula, blah blah.

However, what caused the biggest chortle was some of the letters pages- you wouldn't get the like of these in comics these days. An impassioned plea to ban fox hunting, an astonishing two-paragrapher waxing lyrical about the benefits of pasteurised milk and the following joke: "What has twenty two yellow legs and two wings?" (answer: The Chinese football team!). All splendid stuff, Tharg should take note.

Steev
Off to write to 2000AD about the benefits of lard.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 August, 2009, 09:48:17 AM
QuoteAs for what I'm reading at the moment, I'm finishing up Matter by Iain Banks - one of his Culture novels and very diverting.

Really a great read, one of his best and pretty deep in places.  Be interested to know what you thought of the ending when you get there.

Heh! Me too!

The new book's out in a month or two, and I've discovered to my delight that I, as a mod over on the Banks forum, have a proof copy of it winging it's way towards me as we speak..!

Emperor

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 18 August, 2009, 04:42:18 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 17 August, 2009, 09:48:17 AM
QuoteAs for what I'm reading at the moment, I'm finishing up Matter by Iain Banks - one of his Culture novels and very diverting.

Really a great read, one of his best and pretty deep in places.  Be interested to know what you thought of the ending when you get there.

Heh! Me too!

The new book's out in a month or two, and I've discovered to my delight that I, as a mod over on the Banks forum, have a proof copy of it winging it's way towards me as we speak..!

Ooo nice. Let us know what you think - I'll probably put that one on my list for Santa.

I just found the time to get racking through some books I've had for a while Matter was up first and I thought it worked well. I was slightly annoyed by the ending (getting a Grant Morrison vibe from the whole thing - a wild wave of stunning ideas getting wrapped up awkwardly at the end) but then I realised there was more after the appendix and was satisfied with it. ;)

I'm currently half-way through The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds and it is progressing nicely (as always!!). I'll then crack on with the Viriconium omnibus edition.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Kerrin

New M.Banks? WOO-HOO!

I wasn't too sure about "Matter", I enjoyed it but, I dunno, it just seemed a bit, off target somehow. Is the new one a Culture novel?

I'm going to definitely give those "Viriconium books" a look Emp'and I thought "The Prefect" was excellent.

Odd_Bloke

Currently reading 'Marvel Platinum: The Definitive Incredible Hulk'.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Odd_Bloke on 18 August, 2009, 07:38:42 PM
Currently reading 'Marvel Platinum: The Definitive Incredible Hulk'.
oooh, I bought that a few weeks ago. It's a pretty good selection, but I would have liked to see it extend to Planet Hulk / World War Hulk. I didn't remember those 'Maestro' stories at all, but I now know how to torture the Hulk - just break his neck and then force him to have quadraplegic sex with half a dozen Betty clones. Simple!