Main Menu

Wagners Double Whammy

Started by Matt, 06 June, 2002, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Once again, John Wagner proves he is the undisputed master at crafting plotlines that take you in one direction before spinning your head 360 degrees and smacking you in the face. Judging by the hype Sin City was always going to be a good Dredd story, but how did Tharg manage to keep the lid on Orloks involvement????? What an unexpected twist that was. In one page Wagner has lifted the story from simply being great to being fantastic. With Orloks appearance we know this is going to be no ordinary Dredd. Can't wait to see what happens when the two meet up this time, and with Anderson out of the way whose gonna stop them from killing each other?

Speaking of Anderson, what about Death? I wondered how wagner could wrap this one in the final episode & I wasn't disappointed. Like the idea of Death wandering the Cursed Earth. Would be nice to see him meet Preacher Cain. Mind you, Wagner will have already plotted his future out. I recall seeing a piece of cover artwork with Dredd & Death in Deadworld, I expected to see it used in this series, so who knows???

Oddboy

I was thinking Death looked pretty Missionery Man like at the end.  Bloomin' marvellous stuff!  Judge Death takes The Long Walk, who'd've guessed that one?!  Wagner is truely a mastermind of the highest degree.
Better set your phaser to stun.

DavidXBrunt

And the lesson of the day is don't open posts until you've read the prog. Orloks back?

Oddboy

The subject was SPOILERS.

But we're lying.
Orlok isn't back.
No no.

It'll still be a surprise.

Thread Zero

Orloks back?

Quite sun tanned. A bit burnt on the neck but what do you expect if you sit in the Mediterranean Free State sun for so long...

scojo sssss

paulvonscott

Yeah, Thrills AND Chillsss from Wagner this week, what a marvellous two pronged prog it has been (I have yet to inspect the green manalishi) Sin City really stepped up a notch and the end of Death was genuinely great.  I thought he looked very much like Dredd as the Dead Man.  I felt rather a nice chill going through me at the end.

The cover of 2000AD was really good this week, reminded me of the older style cover.  More of it I say!

Berty

ok - time for another stupid new boy question...

Who's Orloks?
Is it good or bad that he's back?

paulvonscott

Orlok was a Sov-Block agent who intrpduced the Block mania virus into Mega City, destabilising it as a prelude to a full invasion by East Meg One.

He killed the original Judge Giant (Noooooo...) and has cropped up numerous times.  Dredd hates him probably as much as anyone else he's come across.

Orlok hates Dredd, because Dredd happened to destroy East Meg 1, was part of the destruction of East Meg 2 and the sinking of the last Sov-Block city island (the reconstructed one seen here this week).

Anderson and Orlok have a sort of one/off romance going.

Anyway, last time Dredd and Orlok met they had a big punch up.

Oh and yes, Orlok is as hard as drokk.

Sparks will fly...

Oddboy

He was a Russian spy from Sov Block 1 (AKA East-Meg 1) who poisoned the water supplies many years ago with a drug causing violent behaviour.  This lead to the 'Block Mania' civil war, during which the Sov's invaded MC1, turning the whole situation into the Apocalypse War.
He crops up every now & then causing more havoc (even becoming a friend of Cassandra Anderson for a bit).
I don't remember how his last story ended - I thought Dredd killed him?

Oddboy

Matt

Dredd was gonna drown him but Anderson saved him by bundling Dredd off onto a Britcit rescue ship thingy. I think that's right.

Oddboy

Silly judge!
Letting her unjudicial feelings get in the way of actually letting Dredd do his job...
How many times has she saved his life?  I make that 3.

Richard

paulvonscott

Wasn't it knackered in Judgement Day?  The only reason I say this is that I still refuse to read it.  If East Meg 2 isn't destroyed, why is the sov-block stuck in a floating piece of trash?

Believe me I'm still pretty vague about the period.

Thread Zero

If my memory's still in working order, East Meg 1 was nuked by Dredd's Apocalypse squad. East Meg 2 decided war against Mega City 1 wasn't such a good idea. In fact I believe they are quite friendly. See Anderson's Shamballa story for more.

I don't think East Meg 2 was destroyed in Judgement Day.

99% sure it wasn't!

Anyway, the med free state is comprised of EM 1 survivors. One being War Marshal Kazan's daughter. I think she is stll alive. Must re-read Doomsday to check! Was she killed? Can't remember off hand.

I think that's it.

scojo