Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Buttonman on 24 August, 2015, 11:23:12 PM
Quote from: TotalHack on 24 August, 2015, 11:06:55 PM
THE World's End. Holy sheet, what a great movie. I think I loved every frame. Why it's taken me this long to watch, when I adore the first two, I have no idea, but man did I enjoy it.

Not getting caught out like that!

I think these films got progressively better with 'The World's End' the pick of the litter. So in touch with my generation - apart from the robots. Lots of good hidden gags - check out the IMDb trivia page.

The soundtrack is awesome. I listened to nothing but Sisters of Mercy for about a week after I watched it.
You may quote me on that.

Tiplodocus

Same for me with Oblivion.

Assumed it was dud even with Cruise on board but really enjoyed it. Some clichéd and dumb stuff happens but really liked the premise and the look of the movie.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Heh, even as I typed the name I knew there was something wrong - couldn't work out why I didn't remember BM's review.

So much good stuff in THE World's End (just remembering the Yeowell/Culbard animated statue, the character's surnames, the Primal Scream dialogue), so much cleverness and sheer joy in filmmaking. Best summed up by my missus' reaction at the end: 'we should watch that again tomorrow'.

Theblazeuk

Nick Frost & Simon Pegg's finest acting. A lot of criticism seemed to just be people didn't like Simon Pegg and didn't quite get that you're not supposed to.

Richmond Clements

QuoteA lot of criticism seemed to just be people didn't like Simon Pegg and didn't quite get that you're not supposed to.

The number of times I've tried to explain this to people...

GordonR

I don't really like Shaun in Shaun of the Dead, either.  He's a selfish man-child whose terrible decisions and ineptitude gets just about everyone else killed, and who doesn't seem to have learned a thing at the film's end.  (And yet is rewarded for it with domestic bliss with his gf.)

Clearly, though, you are supposed to like him. So what's the difference between him and selfish man-child Gary King from World's End?

TordelBack

I suppose Shaun works better as a feckless everyman, a sort of 'what would YOU do in a zombie apocalypse?', whereas with Gary the dangerous selfish monomania is harder to identify with, and thus like.

Much as I love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, I suspect this is the better film (and I agree, Frost and Pegg have never been better) - but it'll need many repeat viewings to be sure.

Buttonman

Unappetising Mexican cannibal horror We Are What We Are .

Goaty

zombemybabynow

Jurassic world kicked butt - no speilberg shmaltz - total godzilla-esque mayhem and [spoiler]even the extras bought it, ala pterodactyl-luncheon[/spoiler]
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Mardroid

Horsemen

Good film. Interesting, dark twisted mystery.  I guessed a couple of twists, including the identity of the last horseman.

Genuinely disturbing in places. Brrr.

Buttonman

Tjm86

The RailwayMan.  Well, about half of it.  Absolutely cracking film.  Great acting from Mr Firth.  Harrowing would be a mild word to describe it.  Not a film to watch if you find yourself associating on any level with the central character though.

ThryllSeekyr

I caught the later half of Wolf Creek Two early this morning before drooping off to sleep a few hours afterward.

Firstly, I would advice any one from the U.K. against watching this for fears that they might get offended by the Protagonist victim being, a young British bloke, being harassed by the Antagonist pig-shooter, a local Australian, outbacker and Spoilerjust about killed.[/spoiler]

This would give extreme pause before entering any foreign territory overseas or even just out of state. yet partically further inland within the less populated outback. Without sufficient preparation, and other stuff like.

Even my last trip over border down south, I was told to stick to a exact route that was worked out before hand and to reach a certain destination within each day. According to what my folks had worked out.

These days, I wouldn't bother with that stuff and just throw caution to the wind and go where I like. How I like. Surely, nothing is bad as it seemed in the film.

Myself, I not like that or even close to thinking about wanting to murder foreigners unless the wrong buttons are pushed when meeting some body. I don't even have access to a firearm.

One part of this film that kind of horrified me was when he shot couple local homesteaders. After the man of the house. A fellow clearly way past his prime and into his last years, shot the guy, telling him to get off his property and being shot in the back by the same guy after returning to the rifle cabinent inside and finding it had been looted. I saw him walk away just before, and no idea how he got back into the house. Strange.,...

Now, I wan to see the full film.

GordonR

QuoteMyself, I not like that or even close to thinking about wanting to murder foreigners unless the wrong buttons are pushed when meeting some body..

It's reassuring to know you wouldn't even think about wanting to rape and murder a group of backpackers "unless the wrong buttons are pushed."

QuoteI don't even have access to a firearm.

Yes, but didn't you say recently that you were thinking of getting one?  Which, given your anger management issues and frequent stories about non-existent peope sneaking into your house to mess with your stuff, sounds like a really terrible idea.