Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

Quote from: Big_Dave on 30 August, 2015, 01:27:24 PMits the boring middle film like empire strikes back

WTF is this madness?

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

shaolin_monkey

I watched The World's End again. It definitely gets better each rewatch. I did think it was the weakest of the three, but now I'm thinking maybe it's actually the best one. It's definitely a grower.

I watched Super8 with the kids the other day. It was okay - a different kind of ET film basically, where the creature is bigger and pissed off. I would probably have enjoyed it more if there had been less bloody lens flare! i had no idea this was a JJ Abrams film until at about 30 mins the lens flare got so ridiculous I had to check IMDB to see if my suspicions were correct. Yup - Abrams.  He'd better not fuck up the new Star Wars film with this shit.

Big_Dave

Quote from: Satanist on 31 August, 2015, 11:42:21 AM
Quote from: Big_Dave on 30 August, 2015, 01:27:24 PMits the boring middle film like empire strikes back

WTF is this madness?

nothing explodes at teh end and theres lots of running away + waiting around in swamps and floating guest rooms to get captured instead of fighting
the good guys dont do much - just hangning around waitning until the bad guys capture them to set up 3rd film where stuff does happen

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Big_Dave on 31 August, 2015, 01:22:25 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 31 August, 2015, 11:42:21 AM

WTF is this madness?

nothing explodes at teh end and theres lots of running away + waiting around in swamps and floating guest rooms to get captured instead of fighting
the good guys dont do much - just hangning around waitning until the bad guys capture them to set up 3rd film where stuff does happen

Blimey! Obviously it's horses for courses etc, but re lack of action what about:
The Wampa
The AT-ATs
The Millenium Falcon chase
The asteroid field
The space slug
Han flying at a Star Destroyer
Luke's 'vision' in the swamp
C3PO being blown to bits
Chewie's clash with the Ugnaughts
Vader coming to dinner
Chewie going nuts in the carbon freeze facility
Lando's escape plan
And last but not least - the most epic of lightsaber battles between Luke and Vader!

Not enough action?!

Plus the pathos of the whole thing! The rebels get a massive kicking! Yoda's teachings entering popular culture! Luke and his Dad! Han and Leia! Chewie losing his best buddy!

It's an awesome film. Please re-consider.

(Though I appreciate its your opinion)

Professor Bear

I saw Jedi before I saw Empire, and I honestly found Empire a bit underwhelming at the time as a movie experience, even though it had the AT-ATs in it.

Satanist

plus "I am your father" and Boba-Fett. In my house its the best one.

Goaty

Satanist

Quote from: Goaty on 31 August, 2015, 03:27:16 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 31 August, 2015, 02:36:20 PM
"I am your father"

You what?  :o :o

Sorry I should have spoilered that. For those raised in a cave that haven't seen Empire it reveals that [spoiler]Yoda[/spoiler] is [spoiler]Hans[/spoiler] father!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Satanist on 31 August, 2015, 04:00:31 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 31 August, 2015, 03:27:16 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 31 August, 2015, 02:36:20 PM
"I am your father"

You what?  :o :o

Sorry I should have spoilered that. For those raised in a cave that haven't seen Empire it reveals that [spoiler]Yoda[/spoiler] is [spoiler]Hans[/spoiler] father!

That explains Hans' little green tadger
DDT did a job on me

Big_Dave

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 31 August, 2015, 02:21:12 PM
Quote from: Big_Dave on 30 August, 2015, 01:27:24 PM
theres lots of running away + waiting around to get captured instead of fighting

re lack of action what about:
The Wampa
The AT-ATs
The Millenium Falcon chase
The asteroid field
The space slug
Han flying at a Star Destroyer
Luke's 'vision' in the swamp
C3PO being blown to bits
Chewie's clash with the Ugnaughts
Vader coming to dinner
Chewie going nuts in the carbon freeze facility
Lando's escape plan
And last but not least - the most epic of lightsaber battles between Luke and Vader!

Not enough action?!It's an awesome film.

high, Mokney - i like empire srtikes back + i love all teh scenes u listed -
but they are all examples of teh good guys hiding waiting getting captured + then runnring away instead of fighting  :)

hide on hoth get attacked then run away
hide on aestoroid - wait around a bit - then run away
hide on destroyer - wait around a bit - then run away
hide on Bespin - wait around a bit - get captured then run away
FIGHT vader then run away to avoid getting captured
flim ends with the good guys running away instead of fighting

not saying any of that is bad - flims like great escape + shawshank about captured good guys hiding then running away but good guys are ACTIVE
good guys in empire are PASSIVE - not necesessaarily bad but does effect mood tone + energy of flim

TordelBack

Nothing Luke does in the film is passive, until right at the very end when he is utterly broken. Indeed he is repeatedly criticised for his inability to be calm and focus on the here and now.

radiator

Watched John Wick last night.

It's a likable little movie - refreshingly violent and stylish with some truly great action scenes (that, like The Raid, had me whooping and cackling with delight). Keanu, who I've always liked, is on fine form and a bratty Theon Greyjoy makes for an admirably hateable villain. Impressive too what they were able to achieve on a reported budget of $20m - I assumed all these kind of films were shot on the cheap in Eastern Europe, but this seemed to have been shot on location in New York and New Jersey. I liked the tone too - so stylised that it at times borders on the fantastical, with lots of mythos/world-building stuff going on.

Imo it does kind of wane somewhat after the superbly taut and economical first hour (which climaxes in the tremendous first big action set-piece), as the initially dead-simple plot gets a little too convoluted, and successive action scenes started to stretch my suspension of disbelief a little too far. It's far more successful when dialogue and plot is kept to an absolute minimum, as the longer dialogue scenes towards the end of the movie get very ripe and corny.

Still, if you're looking for a 'aging Hollywood star in violent revenge thriller' type movie, you could do a lot worse. Apparently the studio are keen to turn this into a franchise, and I can't help but root for it.

A high 3/5.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: GordonR on 25 August, 2015, 01:13:42 PM
I don't really like Shaun in Shaun of the Dead, either.  He's a selfish man-child whose terrible decisions and ineptitude gets just about everyone else killed, and who doesn't seem to have learned a thing at the film's end.  (And yet is rewarded for it with domestic bliss with his gf.)

Clearly, though, you are supposed to like him. So what's the difference between him and selfish man-child Gary King from World's End?

Having just this minute rewatched The World's End.
Shaun is indeed a selfish man-child, totally self centred and unaware of the consequences of his actions.

Gary King has been through years of AA meetings and therapy, and is all too painfully aware of just how self centered and selfish a prick he is.

Big_Dave

Quote from: Tordelback on 31 August, 2015, 07:13:52 PM
Nothing Luke does in the film is passive

1st act gets attacked/ unconcsious/ gets rescued/ unconscious/ waits to get better so he can run away

2nd act meditates/ does what hes told by midget OAP he carries on back/fails to do what tiny OAP tells him

3rd act gets ass handed to him by Vader/runs away to avoid bieng captured/ has to be rescued

i like the flim but the good guys are iether hiding/waiting/having stuff done to them/ running away

Goaty

Empire got shitloads of Star Destroyers.

Yep smart move to run away and attack later!