Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

The Producers - musical version of the Mel Brooks original.  Full of gags and upbeat numbers, I didn't know that musical movies made in the 21st century were allowed to be good, so this and Hairspray have been a pleasant surprise.  It is willfully politically incorrect, but a lot of that has to do with dating terribly in the last fifteen years since it was made ("Leo - he's wearing a dress!") rather than Mel Brooks doing his thing.  It is also - despite its crudity in places - incredibly old-fashioned compared to ponderous monstrosities like Les Miserables, to the point that a lot of critics actually slated it for the actors "acting like they're in a musical".

The Last Boy - well, I certainly expected better from a post-apocalyptic thriller made for under 50k and starring Luke Goss.  Episodic and ultimately pointless, but I admit I was happy to see an apocalypse not involving zombies.

Hands Of Steel - mid-80s Italian trash originally shot and released as Vendetta dal futuro about a cyborg assassin who goes on the run from his evil industrialist creator John Saxon - or was Saxon playing an evil CIA operative?  I genuinely can't remember and it doesn't matter.  Complete horseshit, but enjoyably so, like when it just stops doing Terminator and does Over The Top instead, with all disagreements between butch men getting settled in arm wrestling matches or highway chases in big rigs.

Zootropolis was just what the doctor ordered for our interesting times.  I am a little troubled by how sexualised a lot of modern cartoon characters are, and Shakira's performance at the end of this didn't exactly help matters, but it's a small blip in an otherwise great film.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 April, 2020, 08:32:49 PM
Hands Of Steel - mid-80s Italian trash originally shot and released as Vendetta dal futuro about a cyborg assassin who goes on the run from his evil industrialist creator John Saxon - or was Saxon playing an evil CIA operative?  I genuinely can't remember and it doesn't matter.  Complete horseshit, but enjoyably so, like when it just stops doing Terminator and does Over The Top instead, with all disagreements between butch men getting settled in arm wrestling matches or highway chases in big rigs.

Any movie with George Eastmen in it is worth a moment of any ones time.

Tiplodocus

COFFEE AND KAREEM on Netflix. Not my choice.

If "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" was a buddy cop movie but utter, utter, utter shit.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Apestrife

I watched Ichi the killer the other night. Feels like a ultra brutal yakuza anime version of Clockwork Orange. Still one of the most violent and disturbing movies I've seen, but unlike other similar extreme movies I actually watch it again now and then. It's visually very striking and it has very weird and interesting characters. Especially Kakihara. His love for recieving/giving pain makes him very unpredictable and scary. Up there with Anton Chigurh and The Joker.

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmHxzsbAZZc

von Boom

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 April, 2020, 09:45:21 PM
COFFEE AND KAREEM on Netflix. Not my choice.

If "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" was a buddy cop movie but utter, utter, utter shit.
I'm not a fan an Ed Helm's and never had any intention of watching this, but it's good to hear my instincts confirmed.

Rately

Quote from: Apestrife on 10 April, 2020, 07:40:20 AM
I watched Ichi the killer the other night. Feels like a ultra brutal yakuza anime version of Clockwork Orange. Still one of the most violent and disturbing movies I've seen, but unlike other similar extreme movies I actually watch it again now and then. It's visually very striking and it has very weird and interesting characters. Especially Kakihara. His love for recieving/giving pain makes him very unpredictable and scary. Up there with Anton Chigurh and The Joker.

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmHxzsbAZZc

Long may Takashi Miike continue making such delirious, OTT, fascinating movies. Recently washed his adaptation of Blade Of The Immortal, having not read the Manga, and thought it was brilliant.

I haven't seen Ihchi The Killer in years, but I'm going to hunt down my DVD of it and give it a spin tonight.

Hawkmumbler

His most recent film, comedy yakuza come boxing drama FIRST LOVE seemed a bit divisive but I thought it a brilliant self satire of his early mob movies.

You will laugh out loud quiet a bit during it's madness.

Rately

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 April, 2020, 10:42:04 AM
His most recent film, comedy yakuza come boxing drama FIRST LOVE seemed a bit divisive but I thought it a brilliant self satire of his early mob movies.

Cheers, another one for the list.

The sheer number of movies, and the genre jumping, is staggering!

Apestrife

Watched Detective Pikachu yesterday. Didn't mind it. Quite fun now and then. Probably one of the better video game to movie adaptations?

Quote from: Rately on 11 April, 2020, 10:47:34 AM

Seconded!

I've yet to watch his audition and DOA 2 and 3. Really liked DOA1 and Deadly Outlaw: Rekka.

Rately

Quote from: Apestrife on 11 April, 2020, 12:14:25 PM
Watched Detective Pikachu yesterday. Didn't mind it. Quite fun now and then. Probably one of the better video game to movie adaptations?

Seconded!

I've yet to watch his audition and DOA 2 and 3. Really liked DOA1 and Deadly Outlaw: Rekka.

Audition. All I will say is... WOW!

Apestrife, you are in for a treat. Also moments of panic, terror and hilarity.

Hawkmumbler

I remember seeing Audition on 35MM at the Prince Charles.

You could tell when THE moment happens, who in that screening hadn't seen it before.

Sheer. Bloody. Terror.

Rately

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 April, 2020, 12:36:24 PM
I remember seeing Audition on 35MM at the Prince Charles.

You could tell when THE moment happens, who in that screening hadn't seen it before.

Sheer. Bloody. Terror.

And what a moment.

Christ. I'll never forget watching it on Film4 yonks ago, with my brother. I was literally gripping the seat by the end of it.

Speaking of Miike, I've yet to find a copy of his Masters Of Horror episode, Imprint. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth tracking down?

I vaguely remember Mike Garris saying he still couldn't bring himself to watch it from start to finish without taking a break.

Tiplodocus

UNCUT GEMS on Netflix.
So yes, Sandler (the entire cast even in the smallest roles) is fantastic and yes it is unbearably tense from the very get go with a frenetic energy in visual and sound design that just doesn't stop ( reminded me of DUNKIRK as regards the tension). And it does give you a sense of how horrible the addiction must be.

But ultimately I was left feeling "So what?". Everyone in it  is horrible. And the fact that you can't polish a turd is a truism that surely doesn't need expanding upon?

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Apestrife

Quote from: Rately on 11 April, 2020, 12:31:52 PM

Seconded!

Saw it yesterday. Sure was something! But good! As with Ichi, no doubt I'll watch it again.

Rately

Quote from: Apestrife on 13 April, 2020, 04:59:15 PM
Quote from: Rately on 11 April, 2020, 12:31:52 PM

Seconded!

Saw it yesterday. Sure was something! But good! As with Ichi, no doubt I'll watch it again.

A fabulous movie. The lurch from a movie that is shaping up to be a romantic comedy about a bereaved man to...

Wonder how many people were fed the DVD by a friend who didn't give any hint of what was to come!