Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD 0 delayed

Started by Goatilocks, 17 February, 2010, 09:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

There was some cracking stories in the specials which need to be included as the stories carried on in the prog later on. Without the specials Banzai Battalion wouldn't have come into fruition.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: vzzbux on 17 February, 2010, 08:33:40 PM
Lets not forget the Ezquerra movie adaption (Ron Smith version as well) and the heavy metal dredds.
For the completest the DC Dredds.
There's no completist who deserves to have the DC Dredds foisted on them as reward for their long-standing service.  No need to include the Heavy Metal Dredd stuff, it's just been collected.

Quote from: emceehamster on 17 February, 2010, 08:44:35 PM
So what is this? just annuals/specials stories? if so then it should be quite missable.
Given the creators involved, I think not.

Quote from: vzzbux on 17 February, 2010, 08:59:30 PM
There was some cracking stories in the specials which need to be included as the stories carried on in the prog later on. Without the specials Banzai Battalion wouldn't have come into fruition.

Agreed.  Also Garth Ennis DID write some nice Dredds, his story "A Magic Place" (I think) being the intermediary between the Annual/special story and Banzais.  There are plenty of others, but I'd say a reasonable proportion of this stuff is worthwhile. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Art

Hmm, got a Book Depository email today telling me that they've received notice of publicationa and will be sending it in the next few days... rather alarmingly they called it "Judge Dredd: v. 1".

James Stacey

Same here, but as I ordered it when it was called vol 0 I assume they will get it right. :)

Mike Gloady

They're clearly (but worryingly) left out the "Restricted Files" part of the title.  Morons. 

New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

starfish

Quote from: CraveNoir on 17 February, 2010, 04:23:44 PM
As best I can determine from that image, the credits read as follows:

John Wagner
Alan Grant
Steve Mooore

Carlos Ezquerra
Mike McMahon
Kevin O'Neil
Ian Gibson
Brian Bolland
Steve Dillon
Brett Ewins
Brendan McCarthy
Cliff Robinson
John Byrne

No Jose Casanovas, Robin Smith or David Jackson, at least on the cover, so it appears to take us up to the '84 special, and the 2k '83 annual (published in '82). It's difficult to determine how far into the Dredd annuals it goes with just those names.

Maybe Bolland's one page Walter stories will be included, The Alien Zoo from the '82 JD annnual, or just a pin-up or two.

I know the image is pretty low-res, but I'm sure that says it covers up to 2106 (which in real terms is, what, 1984?)

Art

Volume 1 of the Casefiles seems to have some (but not all?) of the Bolland one page Walter stories.

CraveNoir

I hestitated before exposing this level of geekiness, however...

The book is listed at running 320 pages, and as starfish says it goes up to 2106 (1984).

The purely Dredd strips from the 1977-1984 2000ad Specials, 1978-1984 2000ad Annuals, and 1981-1984 Judge Dredd Annuals amounts to 269 pages.

Anderson, Walter, Max Normal, Mean Machine strips amount to 49 pages.

So that could be what's being included.

Beyond that, there's around 100 pages of features, character data files and pin-ups from those publications. Text stories amount to another 25 pages.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the Anderson and/or Mean strips passed over for some other stuff as they could be reprinted elsewhere, but I think it'd be a shame to miss out the strip/feature which introduced Sladek and the Knee-Pad Kid. We shall see soon enough.

TordelBack

Quote...it'd be a shame to miss out the strip/feature which introduced Sladek and the Knee-Pad Kid.

Yeah, The Fallucci Tape itself is a great story, and it'd be a shame to miss out on the original text piece - a rare slice of Cits-Eye-View on the city and its ways.  

Gotta say, I'm really excited for this now.

starfish

Just got a dispatch confirmation from amazon. Looks like these are shipping now, and that the delay wasn't anything too serious. Whew!

John Caliber

I got my copy this morning. Dok! WHAT A COLLECTION!

It's a relatively slim volume, but it is heavy so I knew it had to feature gloss paper, which means colour content. There is a surprisingly huge selection of stories inside, all one-shots from various early annuals, Sci-Fi Specials (and even the John Byrne 'Block Out' future sport story). The sub-heading on the front cover reads: "2000AD Annuals & Specials, Year: 2099 -2106"

Reproduction is generally good. Oddly, some of the reprints seem to be heavy on the black ink, but the text in the speech balloons looks sharp.

I have 90% of the stories already, but this compendium does away with the need for digging out the odd anuual or tatty Sci-Fi Special from a moutain of yellow progs.

9/10!
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

TordelBack

Arsom, John - thanks for the preview!  Any sign of the Kneepad Kid in there?

John Caliber

I don't think so ... what story did he feature in?
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

TordelBack

If I'm not misremembering it's a text piece in the '84 Dredd Annual, with art from (IIRC) Robin Smith, intoducing Herman Sherman, aka the Kneepad Kid, who goes on to blackmail Judge Sladek (he had a 'tache - Titan was his destiny).

Grant Goggans

Just tell me Fear That Made Milwaukee Famous is in there, friend.