Main Menu

FLASH GORDON remake

Started by Goatilocks, 22 February, 2010, 07:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goatilocks

No matter what they do with this it'll NEVER be as good as the 1980 film:

Director Breck Eisner promises that his upcoming new Flash Gordon movie won't be a remake of the campy 1980 version or even the Buster Crabbe serials from the 1930s—and he promises it will be in 3-D.

"It's a movie that is in no way a remake or a re-imagining or a reboot of the '80s version or the serial version," Eisner told SCI FI Wire. "No Queen [music]. It is not camp in any way. We're going back to the original Alex Raymond [comic strip] scripts and imagining if he were living today, what would those strips be like?"

Eisner is moving forward on his new movie version of the classic sci-fi story. "Flash Gordon is a movie I've been pursuing for years, and I finally was able to orchestrate it going to Sony from Hearst," Eisner said while promoting his new sci-fi horror movie, The Crazies.

Eisner added: "We hired writers a year ago. I've been breaking story with them since I wrapped post on [The Crazies]. We've got an awesome, very long-form outline that they're now executing a script off of, which I should have in two months or so to the studio." It's unclear as of yet whether Flash Gordon will be Eisner's next movie.

Eisner is a longtime Flash Gordon fan with a strong vision of how Gordon should be brought into modern times.

Gordon will also enter the third dimension this time out: "It will definitely be in 3-D, unless they come out with 4-D before then," Eisner says with a laugh. The director adds that he is even testing a new binaural German 3-D sound system that could be employed for the film. "It's supposed to push 3-D to the next level," he says.

Cost is the primary obstacle the space hero will have to overcome. "It's a very expensive movie," admits Eisner. "Do they have and do they want to spend the kind of money it's going to take to pull this thing off?"

For now, Eisner is simply intent on developing the best filmic version of Flash Gordon possible. "It's one that I will be passionate enough about forever and will hope to be able to make," says Eisner. "It's action, it's adventure, it's intense, it's dynamic. It's a strong central character who goes on a dynamic journey. It should be a really amazing movie if we can get it made."

Eisner decided to go to space instead of the murky lagoons: He had originally been attached to a remake of the 1950s monster movie The Creature From the Black Lagoon. Eisner's The Crazies hits screens on Feb. 26.

Lady Festina

No Queen music???

Not camp in any way???

Well, what the bloody hell's the point of that? Eisner, prepare to quit. You've misjudged the mood of the moviegoing public. We will not stand by and let you ruin a legend.

Poor old Peter Duncan will be crying into his bitter shandy this very minute....

HdE

...thus proving that there really are NO original ideas in Hollywood.

Is it just me, or are the Hollywood boffins excelling lately at optioning movies that have 'INSTANT PASS' written all over them?
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

HOO-HAA

I didn't catch the (new) TV series, although I remember enjoying the old chapter serials as a lad.

The 80s film had it all - dramatic OTT music, campy sets and costumes, cheesy one-liners and Brian Blessed.

Going to be hard to beat that!  :D

JamesC

The 80's version is one of my all time faves and the Queen soundtrack is fantastic.
The 80's version celebrated the campness of the original strips brilliantly - it's a joy to watch from start to finish.
I really don't know how he plans to make it not camp - the main character's name is 'Flash' for god's sake! Not to mention Ming from Mongo or the Hawkmen. It's a real shame that 'camp' adventure stories are seen by some as inferior to the more serious kind. It's often the other way around.

Leigh S

Quote from: Goatilocks on 22 February, 2010, 07:19:07 PM
"No Queen [music]. It is not camp in any way. We're going back to the original Alex Raymond [comic strip] scripts and imagining if he were living today, what would those strips be like?"

without prejudging this, that is the most stupid statement ive read in a long time - if Alx Raymond was creating the strip now it wouldnt be even 1% of the Flash Gordon he created then -The things that make Flash Gordon unique (and cool) are not things you'd contemplate puting in a "modern" story - the derring do, the damsels, the animal men, the naive science and the cruel dictatorship of Ming are all firmly products of their times.  I'm happy to be corrected on this, but updating Flash Gordon seems to me would require excising just about the entire thing and replacing it with something you may as well call your own.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quite right HdE. It's much easier to remake something that's made money in the past or something that is so well known with the general public (Tarzan, Robin Hood, Chainsaw chicks V's Godzilla) that you don't need to introduce new characters.  

The Director for Flash Gordon certainly gives the impression of knowing what he wants. Who'd you pick to  direct the Dredd movie? Now there's a puzzle.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

HOO-HAA

Quote from: HdE on 22 February, 2010, 08:18:35 PM
...thus proving that there really are NO original ideas in Hollywood.

Is it just me, or are the Hollywood boffins excelling lately at optioning movies that have 'INSTANT PASS' written all over them?

Yeah, they've exhausted the Asian-remake-of-a-perfectly-good-film market, and are now going for shoddy remakes of anything going.

I recently heard that The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is to be remade. The gaddam Swedish film hasn't even been shown over here and they're bloody remaking it already?!

Literally... give us an effin' break, like!  

Goaty

oh that's so funny as today at work we get tape of Flash Gordon to making Signed Verison of it this week! hehehe brilliant film but camp, cos it fun!

Goatilocks

Lord Running Clam

They'll probably just end up casting Megan Fox or some other cookie cutter Hollywood IT girl.

I can't say I'm looking that forward to the film if it's going to be nothing like the 80's one.
Also I could care less if it's in 3D or not.

HOO-HAA

I'm old enough to remember 3D the first time around, whenever TV Times gave those little green and red glasses away and there was a programme with cannonballs slamming out of the TV at you.

I was six or seven years old then, of course, and it seemed like the best thing in the world...

... for all of ten minutes. 

IAMTHESYSTEM

3D TV is clearly ancient -er, I meant there's nothing new in Rock and Roll.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

I, Cosh

Quote from: Goatilocks on 22 February, 2010, 08:51:29 PM
No Ornella Muti ...  :'(

I was just scrolling down before I posted my "No Ornella Muti. No Thanks." slogan. I'm glad to see somebody else appreciates the classics.
We never really die.

Professor Bear

So if I have this right, he's pimping his next big project by crapping on a beloved previous iteration? That plan has certainly never backfired.
He's basically begging people to look upon him as a pompous arse and shit all over the movie before one second of it is even filmed.  If you sow bad feeling, that's what you'll reap.

Plus I will bet actual honest to fuck money that no matter what they film, it will never be as awesome as this at precisely 2:17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnTHypbLlkE
I'm not even joking about it in a 'so bad it's great' kind of way - it's an all-ages movie where Hawkmen fight laser-toting cyborgs on the wings of a war rocket inside a stormcloud while Brian Blessed shakes his fist to Queen's 'The Hero'.  It doesn't matter how cheap it looks, that is ballsy high concept action that no amount of CGI can replace.