Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Three films that would make Einstein blush  (Read 742 times)

Goatilocks

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
Three films that would make Einstein blush
« on: 23 February, 2010, 05:06:32 PM »
An American physicist is calling for Hollywood producers to tone down the fanciful science in movies - and restrict themselves to just one scientific flaw per film. But which are the worst offenders when it comes to bad science films?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8530405.stm

Cthulouis

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
    • L.R.G. Carter
Re: Three films that would make Einstein blush
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2010, 05:25:28 PM »
The writer seems to miss the point of Deep Blue Sea. Surely it was intentionally sending up films of this nature, as demonstrated by the jack-in-the-box-shark-attack after the rousing “we’ll get out of here alive” speech, and the way the love story gets literally ripped apart, leaving the survivor to make do with the chef.

I mean, it works as an example, but it’s a bit like picking Monty Python’s Holy Grail as an example of films with historical anachronisms.

Mardroid

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2010, 05:35:32 PM »
I agree about films being internally consistent.

I don't mind stretching the rest though, as long as it doesn't get too silly. That's part of what the imagination is all about.

Proudhuff

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Lorne; it's a square thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2010, 05:36:45 PM »
Your asking the pedants here to list things wrong with films...
This thread will never end!  :D

Big things I can ignore: explosions and smoke in space etc, but it's the tiny things that ruin belief

The day after tommorow... it's minus 140 and you're hanging off a ship's hull by your  bare hands...goodbye flesh? no, you don't even need gloves.  >:(

Titanic, your running around in that Artic-type water below decks for how long? Three minutes with a modern survival suit but hours in camisoles!
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2010, 05:43:38 PM »
I mean, it works as an example, but it’s a bit like picking Monty Python’s Holy Grail as an example of films with historical anachronisms.

Precisely what I was thinking.  As if visibly-firing shark neurons were the worst offenders against reality in that (rather wonderful) film!   I get fired up over movie bollocks as much as if not more than the next man, but there is no point complaining about physics in a silly 'splodey movie - it's a fun fantasy.  Should we be preventing Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and The Transporter from playing loose with gravity and momentum?  Bollocks we should.  Restricting movies to 'one breach of the laws of physics' sounds good, but if your breach is (say) fireballs not going around corners, you're left with no exploding cars, heroes who go down after being shot once,  guards who you can't knock out with a single punch, and definitely no Macbooks interfacing with alien spaceships.  Sounds boring as hell.  Now if a film presents itself in a serious realistic fashion, by all means have a go - history, physics, language, whatever - a bit of research never killed anyone.  Even with SF films that go for a 'hard' SF approach, deviating from internal consistency is worth a slap.  But the goal of the cited films is not modeling reality, and it says so fairly clearly on the tin.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:18:01 AM »
He thinks their science is bad. He wants to check on their history!