Main Menu

God to Grud

Started by Goatilocks, 25 February, 2010, 10:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goatilocks

Reading the JD Restricted Files, a lot of the old strips have various characters uttering 'My God!' etc.

Without getting into a religious debate (Grud forbid) when was God replaced with Grud, and why ..? 

TordelBack

On a similar note, we know Jovus is the Son of Grud, but does his mother have a name?   I'm guessing Mavis.

Alski

Ah... the Virgin Mavis.

personally I like to say "Bod" istead of God, something I got from the "Nebulous" radio series.

And "Jebus" :P
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

das

if it's good enough for homer simpson it good enough for me.

JEBUS
Confusion is Better Than Sex

John Caliber

The God-Grud name change was one way of referencing a Higher Power in a non-inflmammatory way (ie. bypassing using real-world names), and also selling the notion Judge Dredd was set in the future.

I imagine that originally, MC1 was supposed to be pretty much the entire focus of the Judge Dredd strip and that Grud was a clumping together of all the world religion faiths into one neat entity.

It appears that organised religion (in the Western world at least) is in the 22nd century in a far worse state than it was in 2010, its only practitioners considered crackpots and comedy relief.

In my my RPG books I occasionally mentioned an alternate name: The Original Holy, just as vague.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Mikey

But does anyone know what a 'Greenie' is? Is it just alliteration or is it a reference to bogies?

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Goatilocks

Quote from: John Caliber on 26 February, 2010, 09:07:51 AM
The God-Grud name change was one way of referencing a Higher Power in a non-inflmammatory way (ie. bypassing using real-world names), and also selling the notion Judge Dredd was set in the future.

I imagine that originally, MC1 was supposed to be pretty much the entire focus of the Judge Dredd strip and that Grud was a clumping together of all the world religion faiths into one neat entity.

It appears that organised religion (in the Western world at least) is in the 22nd century in a far worse state than it was in 2010, its only practitioners considered crackpots and comedy relief.

In my my RPG books I occasionally mentioned an alternate name: The Original Holy, just as vague.

Had to sift through the crackpots and comedy relief to get to your reply, but thanks, John.

Alski

Quote from: Mikey on 26 February, 2010, 10:35:05 AM
But does anyone know what a 'Greenie' is? Is it just alliteration or is it a reference to bogies?

M.

I sense a short story coming up...
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Goatilocks on 26 February, 2010, 11:19:07 AM

Had to sift through the crackpots and comedy relief to get to your reply, but thanks, John.

What, all three of them? Yeah, I can see how "sifting" through that must have been quite the chore.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goatilocks

Dear Jim,

You are fucking hilarious.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Mikey on 26 February, 2010, 10:35:05 AM

Rookie related, I always thought.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 February, 2010, 10:35:50 AM
On a similar note, we know Jovus is the Son of Grud, but does his mother have a name?   I'm guessing Mavis.

Do they have Jovus witnesses in MC1 ?
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 26 February, 2010, 07:56:46 PM

Do they have Jovus witnesses in MC1 ?

Surely they'd be Jovus Witlesses?

M.I.K.

"Holy Mavis, Mother of Grud" has definitely been used before and one of the characters definitely refers to "Jovus Witnesses" in this

http://www.2000adonline.com/vault/series/armageddon/story/the_bad_man

apparently confirming that "Jovus" came about as a misinterpretation of "Jehovah's".