Main Menu

Sam Worthington To Play "Dan Dare"?

Started by Goatilocks, 12 March, 2010, 09:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goatilocks

Mardroid

That's understandable really as Dan Dare didn't start with 2000 AD*. If they'd mentioned any comic it probably should have been Eagle.

This irritated me a bit:
Quoteand though he's not quite a super hero (he's got no super powers),

Powers give em and edge, but that's never been the definition from what I've seen.

*Incidentally, I've never read any 2000 AD Dare, wasn't that character actually depicted rather differently?

ThryllSeekyr

HOO-HAA

A yank Dan Dare? Outrageous!

I remember Dan from the early 80s' reincarnation of Eagle. I loved those stories and didn't know, until recently, that 2000AD took Dare over since Eagle's second demise. How different is the 2000AD Dare? Are the stories collected?

Goatilocks

I enjoyed 2000AD Dare - mind you, Gibbon's art had a lot to do wth it.

Strontium Jimmy

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 13 March, 2010, 08:56:28 AM

Actually Sam Worthington is an Aussie. He's from Perth WA- the same neck of the woods I hail from (I think he may have actually been born in England but grew up in Australia).

James Stacey

I remember Dan from the early 80s' reincarnation of Eagle. I loved those stories and didn't know, until recently, that 2000AD took Dare over since Eagle's second demise. How different is the 2000AD Dare? Are the stories collected?

think 2000ad Dare was actually in between Eagles. I'm sure the eagle relaunch was around 85.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: James S on 13 March, 2010, 10:27:50 AM

think 2000ad Dare was actually in between Eagles. I'm sure the eagle relaunch was around 85.

I think it was more like 82 or 83. Wikipedia would most likely settle this for us...

But, wow... so the 2000AD Dare came before Eagle's relaunch?

The Eagle relaunch Dare was, of course, meant to be the (great?) grandson of the original Dan Dare. Likewise with the Digby character. 

Mike Carroll

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 13 March, 2010, 10:58:15 AM
But, wow... so the 2000AD Dare came before Eagle's relaunch?

Yep. Dan Dare was the key character for 2000 AD's launch in 1977. The story received the colour centre-spread pages (back in those days, young fella, we only had colour on the covers and the centre pages) and was heavily featured in all the publicity. The idea was that the name "Dan Dare" would be familiar to all the dads who grew up reading Eagle. And it worked, too: I remember articles about the comic in the national newspapers (wish I'd kept them!) and mentions on the radio, and they all pretty much began with "Remember Dan Dare?"

The 2000 AD incarnation of Dare bore little resemblance to the original, especially for the first two "sagas", but I loved it anyway. Loved it even more when he underwent the first of his 2000 AD revamps and was drawn by Dave Gibbons (and, sometimes, Garry Leach). I even loved the second re-vamp when he more or less became a superhero.

Because 2000 AD doesn't own the rights to the character, the stories have never been reprinted, which really is a shame because it was cracking stuff with some of the best artwork 2000 AD has ever seen.

-- Mike

HOO-HAA

Indeed, 1982 was Eagle's relaunch.

From wikipedia:

'The Eagle was re-launched by IPC (later Fleetway) on March 27, 1982, aiming for the same quality end of the comic-reading market.[citation needed] The marketplace had matured considerably over the intervening years since the first Eagle, with readers seen as disenchanted by a largely stagnant boy's comic industry. John Purdie had recently revitalised photo stories (photographic-based strips) in Fleetway's girls comics, and this tactic was extended to create the relaunched Eagle's unique selling point; most of the early strips were produced in photographic form, extending the medium to include science fiction, football and westerns.

This second volume ran from March 1982 until January 1994, with several relaunches/incarnations, however the comic had become a monthly anthology by this point with little new material.'

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 13 March, 2010, 11:23:24 AM
The idea was that the name "Dan Dare" would be familiar to all the dads who grew up reading Eagle.

It certainly did work - my dad got me into Eagle when it was relaunched. Until then, little HOO-HAA was on a diet of exclusively US comics (Marvel and DC). I was introduced to 2000AD around the same time, as it happens. 

IAMTHESYSTEM

Dave Gibbons depiction of Dan Dare was one of my favourites in Tharg's hankerchief (otherwise known as 2000AD). Good news to see that a second 2000AD related story has been picked up for the cinema.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

bluemeanie

Unless there is a Living Axe that talks like Basil Brush I aint interested

ThryllSeekyr

As far as I know Sam Worthington is no yank.

He's Australian, the few local films I've seen him in were.....

Gettin Square

Bootmen,

Dirty Deeds,

Thunderstruck.

I've yet to see him in Avatar and the rehash of Clash of the Titans.

Just looking at his face, maybe there is a hint of thiis original comic book character's notable profile. Though my firt imprsion of Sam Wothington when I heard the news is that he just doesn't have the chin for it.

If he can play that part that great. As pretending to be somebody your not is what actors are supposed to do.

If they were going to use a American Actor, I would have chosen Cary Elwes most wel known for his role as the men dressed in black in The Princess Bride I think he faked the english accent very well & there's something of a aviator about him. Maybe, I think of his role in the Nation Lampoon movies. Was he in
Memphis Bell.

As for British. I 'm not sure, burt if Hugh Laurie was a younger man he might be perfect for the role. He typified bristch accent manner would server the role well. Just his work in BlackAdder Goes Forth.

Otherwise theres always the duo from Littlle Britian Don't know their names, but the tall one could be Dan and the shorter one would make fine Digby.

James Stacey

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 16 March, 2010, 12:02:41 AM
If they were going to use a American Actor, I would have chosen Cary Elwes most wel known for his role as the men dressed in black in The Princess Bride I think he faked the english accent very well & there's something of a aviator about him.
Good call ... only Cary Elwes is British and grew up in London. He fakes an american accent well, his british accent is his own.