Main Menu

Meg 405 - The Fear Factor

Started by Richard, 16 February, 2019, 05:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

The highlight this issue is The Torture Garden, which has an unexpected development. I won't spoil it here, but it's a great idea. I have no idea how this will end, but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

There's the first episode of a new Judge Dredd story, which is a page-turner. Got through it pretty fast and want to see more.

Lawless carrieson where last issue left off, so it looks like last episode's events really happened and weren't just some sort of Zhind-induced hallucination or something. We finally get confirmation that [spoiler]Lawson is Zia Freely from Insurrection.[/spoiler]

Storm Warning is okay. I've given up on Blunt.

There's a four page obituary for Ron Smith.

Freddychopper

Quote from: Richard on 16 February, 2019, 05:15:21 PM
The highlight this issue is The Torture Garden, which has an unexpected development. I won't spoil it here, but it's a great idea. I have no idea how this will end, but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Yeah, great episode of The Torture Garden and I didn't see that coming! Excellent throughout and awesome Fear cover by Percival.

Magnetica

Quote from: Richard on 16 February, 2019, 05:15:21 PM
Lawless carrieson where last issue left off, so it looks like last episode's events really happened and weren't just some sort of Zhind-induced hallucination or something. We finally get confirmation that [spoiler]Lawson is Zia Freely from Insurrection.[/spoiler]

Yes [spoiler]finally we get confirmation; I was expecting it at some point, so it is good to see it.[/spoiler]
As to whether the events in the last episode are real or not, yes it seems they were, but that doesn't mean they can't be undone - [spoiler]note the line at the end - "The Only Chance to stop this was years ago, when our kinds first met." I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of temporal jiggery-pokery to take us back to to the battle for Backrock, but this time with another outcome.[/spoiler]

Richard

I hope you're wrong, because that's the last thing I'd want to read!

Magnetica

I can see why you say that. I guess [spoiler]I would like more stories where Lawson is still young and trust Dan Abnett to find a way to do it that still maintains the integrity of the strip. [/spoiler]

dweezil2

Anyone still waiting for their sub copy?
I usually get my copy the Saturday before the street date?  :-*
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Geoff

Ents in Mega City One! Not keen and whilst I know many like it, I'm not a fan of the the art either. Seems rather unsophisticated...the eyeballs popping out for example. 

Often I rely on the standard Dredd tale to make up for the other strips, so rather a bare cupboard for me this week

There's always Lawless though which was peerless as usual.

Magnetica

I have just given up on Blunt. I haven't a clue who half the characters are, what they are up to or why. Makes it a real chore to read it, I'm afraid.

broodblik

Where to start with Lawless brilliant, awesome, spectacular. It is not only the script but double wow on how Phil Winslade's art complements the story (just look at the 4th page, a story in a story). [spoiler]All our suspicions and speculations about Lawless past and who she is, is confirmed and there is a clear link back to the Insurrection story line.[/spoiler]

The Torture Garden continues to deliver the goods. Love Nick Percival's take on the Dark Judges.

The floppy continues the WWII theme. This is great idea to add something new and different to the floppies. Operation Overlord is a winner and any Battle fan will love this.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

CalHab

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 February, 2019, 09:28:52 PM
I have just given up on Blunt. I haven't a clue who half the characters are, what they are up to or why. Makes it a real chore to read it, I'm afraid.

It's not just you. I'm completely lost as well. Maybe Blunt would work better appearing weekly in the prog, if its going to continue?

Magnetica

Quote from: CalHab on 20 February, 2019, 03:46:49 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 19 February, 2019, 09:28:52 PM

It's not just you. I'm completely lost as well. Maybe Blunt would work better appearing weekly in the prog, if its going to continue?

Nooooo please....just let it end. In fact if they didn't even bother printing the rest I'd be fine with that...just leave it hanging Dan Dare style.  :lol:

Bet there will be fewer people asking when it's coming back twenty years from now.🤔

broodblik

I feel very much the same about Blunt. Hang on this only have 2 more episodes left. I did feel that at least this episode had a little more direction and purpose. 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Well nothing is going to Lawless is it. Its just magnificent. The thing with it is I have no idea what I want to happen for the best. I the current flash forward to be a fake out to be stripped away so I can immerse myself once again in the battle and learn more about its eventual aftermath. Or I want this to be the story we have and for it to remain as in two majestic episodes I'm so invested in this status quo. I want the story to continue and I want the story to end.

Basically I'm so invested in the beautiful world that Dabnett and Pwinslade have created I don't care what they do I just want it and I trust them to give me what I need as what I want is not to be trusted.

Elsewhere Dredd doesn't hang around does it. It bursts into life and grips you out the gate. Great start, I hope the the viewtubers have more of a role as there's legs there.

This Storm Warning story just isn't grabbing me unlike the last... I just not sure what I'm meant to be getting from it...

...and the same is true Blunt the key difference is I'm invested enough to really want to know. Like many I'm a bit lost now, unlike those that have said this here I'm really looking forward to reading it as one as I think its a great strip and worth the effort of digging into it.

Torture Garden continues to entertain but as I've said before is better when the Dark Judges themselves are sent to be background. This works well here and it gets the balance just about right.

There's some excellent text pieces, most notably a noce tribute to the might Ron Smith.

The floppie well its good... nothing more. Operation Overlord is a good, informative and as far as I know accurate read. Its just so solid. I think its trying to do too much. The story would be stronger if it concentrated on one aspect. I wanted to know more about the fear and tension felt by the German forces on the beach, but this was diluted by stories no less worthy but there wasn't room for it all to be done justice.Still its a solid read, one najor irriation aside. Why not translate some if the German text and have just some of it left to be translated in caption boxes when the vast majority was within the word balloons. Kinda broke me out the story.

Anyway overall a good read and one I'm happy to have in the floppie.

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 February, 2019, 08:56:20 PM
...and the same is true Blunt the key difference is I'm invested enough to really want to know. Like many I'm a bit lost now, unlike those that have said this here I'm really looking forward to reading it as one as I think its a great strip and worth the effort of digging into it.

Is it a great strip? For me part of what makes a strip great is that it flows easily and engages the reader. All of my favourite strips do that and none feel hard to read. That doesn't mean there isn't lot going on in them, but they are written and drawn in a way that enables the story to flow.

Blunt hasn't given me enough to make me go back and re-read it and I have so much else to read at this point that it's just not a priority for me. So that leaves me with a strip I am not engaged with and no longer following. I will still read it as I never skip anything, but I can't say I am looking forward to it.