Main Menu

Green Lantern

Started by chilipenguin, 04 June, 2011, 08:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chilipenguin

Not 2000ad related, but can anyone suggest a reading list of the more recent Green Lantern stories? I've never read many of the comics, but I have a rough idea of the character. With the film imminent, I want to do a bit of background.

I've heard that Rebirth is a good jumping off point.

bluemeanie

Yeah, rebirth is very good. Cant think of anything I'd recommend over that to be honest. Unless you wanna take the shortcut and check out the animated movie they did a year or so back.

Only downside to Rebirth that was it was SO well received they let Geoff (Jeff) Johns do the same with the Flash which really didnt work and wasnt needed.

Green Lantern really has been on a high the last few years. Definately one of the better DC books

The Monarch

yeah rebirth and everything after it GL wise is brilliant

Emperor

Quote from: chilipenguin on 04 June, 2011, 08:53:10 PM
Not 2000ad related, but can anyone suggest a reading list of the more recent Green Lantern stories? I've never read many of the comics, but I have a rough idea of the character. With the film imminent, I want to do a bit of background.

I've heard that Rebirth is a good jumping off point.

Or a jumping on point ;)

You'll want to nose through this thread too:
www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,25048.0.html

Basically you could start with Rebirth, skip to Sinestro Corps War and then Blackest Night. Or you could go for the complete run of stories in between, depending on you budget and the amount of time you want to spend on it (if you are catching up on the film then the Secret Origins volume might be one to get too if you aren't going for the full run, if you want the original stories then there are good Showcase Presents volumes). There are lists here, scroll down to Hal Jordan's return with Rebirth and Green Lantern (vol. 4) respectively:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Jordan#Collected_editions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lantern_%28comic_book%29#Collected_editions
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Emperor on 05 June, 2011, 01:02:22 AM
if you want the original stories then there are good Showcase Presents volumes).

Yeah if you enjoy the new stuff might be worth checking out Showcase Green Lantern Volume 5 for one of Green Lantern's historical highs from the 70s. Not related to the movie (I assume) but contains black and white reprints of one of the all time classic runs in comics. Denny O'Neill and Neil Adams' Green Lantern Green Arrow. Seminal stuff.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Showcase-Presents-Green-Lantern-Vol/dp/0857682245/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307255472&sr=8-1

link to Amazon.com as well as it has two good reviews to place this stuff into context.

http://www.amazon.com/Showcase-Presents-Green-Lantern-Vol/dp/1401230237/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307255520&sr=8-1

chilipenguin

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll wait till payday. Saying that, with this universe wide reboot coming, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

PreacherCain

I liked most of the stuff right up until Sinestro Corps War ends, the it gets a bit crap. Actually, if you have the money and inclination, I'd recommend the first two or three Green Lantern Corps trades too (with Dave Gibbons on script/some art duties)as I thought they were actually better.

The while GL line is pretty terrible now. Don't be tempted by Blackest Night; it's awful.

Emperor

Quote from: chilipenguin on 07 June, 2011, 10:55:39 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll wait till payday. Saying that, with this universe wide reboot coming, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

As Geoff Johns is one of the leading writers at DC, the stories have been selling well, he is the one behind Flashpoint and he has been planning it for years, then it is likely that the Green Lantern titles aren't going to be heavily rebooted and, even if they are, you'll see that Blackest Night and Brightest Day have been part of the set-up for this relaunch, so they might be made more important not less.

Also the stories are still good ones that give you a solid introductions to the characters, whether or not they still "count" following the relaunch.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+