Main Menu

Prog 2172 - Alien APB

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 March, 2020, 06:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 March, 2020, 08:48:07 PM
Wow just about to start the review thread for this weeks Prog and lord above its very quiet on here?!? No one read the Prog.

Not going to the shops unless absolutely essential (I know, I know) so in progless isolation. Digital beckons for the next few months, but I haven't got me finger out yet.

norton canes

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 March, 2020, 08:51:18 AM
Digital beckons for the next few months, but I haven't got me finger out yet

It's certainly one way of keeping yourself entertained...

TordelBack

Heh!  As it happens I remembered that Big Bang in Dundrum opens onto the street, as opposed to my lreguksr haunts deep in the bowels of a West Dublin plague pit,  so I organised a drive-by prog heist. The wife kept the motor running while I waddled in in my full-cowl wetsuit, headshotted the guy breathing heavily over by the manga racks as a precaution, grabbed the Prog and full sets of Crossed and Walking Dead for research purposes, threw a handful of toilet rolls at Bruno and made it out with a box of shotgun shells and a medkit. Result.

MumboJimbo

Solid prog, with 2000 AD being very much in a "cross-fade" phase with older stories reaching their conclusion while the newbies are ramping up.

Zaucer has become a lot less whimsical and heavier with Zaucer's future grown-up daughter wanting to eradicate the timeline that leads to her own existence. Being a digital subber, I'm still waiting for its conclusion in 2173. I've enjoyed this tale, a lot though. Feels very distinct in tone and art style from other stuff in the prog, and bring back nostalgic memories of early 90s whimsy like Hewligan's Haircut.

The Dredd tale is really ratcheting up. We're thoroughly rooting for our alien visitor, and Dredd and Mega-City One bureaucracy are the antagonists.

Feels to early to really pass much judgement on Sinister Dexter and Skip Tracer. Sinister is a welcome return, Skip Tracer less so, but very much hope the new story exceeds my expectations. Looking forward to the big Sinister Dexter story mentioned in the Nerve Centre to celebrate its 25th anniversary. Like Jaegar, Sinister Dexter has been given to us in dribs and drabs lately, so a big, meaty portion would be most welcome.

Finally, Feral and Foe feels like the first episode of new story arc, which surprised me as I was assuming it, too, would be ending soon. Maybe it will end with a cliff hanger.

TordelBack

Risky run to get physical copy probably worth it (we'll see on 14 days).

Love that cover, and love Lynch's spectacular work on Dredd. I'm going to throw 50% of that appreciation at Boswell - he gives Lynch's amazing movement and design a polish and a resulting solidity that lifts it to new heights. Great pairing.

SinDex. This whole team is so smooth now, the strip practically reads itself. Great painless recap, gentle setup, and just happy it's back.

Zaucer has won me back at last. With TuTu back centrestage the story has found the missing weight it needed to anchor the oh-so pretty pictures. Perhaps knowing the stakes earlier would have helped me engage more, but I've been happy enough just enjoying the sights.

Skip Tracer. More of the same. Peaty is a good storyteller, but I've so little interest in the character or setting that his talents, and those of Marshall & Teague, are wasted on me. Aside: I only realised last week that Nolan is black, and I re-read the whole thing at Christmas.

Feral & Foe: Wow, the Elsons are burning up the page this week! So many amazingly detailed designs! This strip has hit a great rhythm, satisfying short stories in an ongoing narrative, and I hope there's loads more to come.

Despite all the great art this week, the page that stopped me in my tracks, and that I keep turning back to, was Federico Arevalo's Death. Spectacular image in the (necrotic) flesh, a very worthy winner.