Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Slamming a professor as 'partisan' because she isn't Brexity enough. Now trying to scare the shit out of a law firm for having the audacity to hold the government to account. We're in full-on banana republic territory now, aren't we? But a very British take.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 January, 2021, 05:14:21 PM
We're in full-on banana republic territory now, aren't we?

More bad news: you're not even a republic.

shaolin_monkey

They're using our money to stop us finding out how much of our money they've wasted!!!

AAARGGH!!

IndigoPrime

JayzusB.Christ

The Daily (NY Times' podcast) was an interesting listen today.  Focussed on how QAnon followers dealt with the situation when their promised moment - all the Democrats' paedophile-ring conspiracy crimes being exposed during the Biden inauguration - didn't happen. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

I'm going to assume that it's like quite a lot of cults and went something like this:

"Instead of abandoning their beliefs when the flood and the flying saucer failed to materialise, most cult members actually consolidated their beliefs and increased their attachment to the group."

That's from the Gruniad's "It's not the end of the world when doomsday prophets get it wrong".

The short story is that it's a lot easier to add more bullshit to the original bullshit than it is for someone to admit (or face the fact) that they've been fooled by a bunch of bullshit.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Mister Pops on 29 January, 2021, 09:57:45 PM
This video by the Internet Historian is sort of relevant.

Am really enjoying a bunch of Internet Historian videos now. Thanks.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Quote from: Funt Solo on 29 January, 2021, 11:42:27 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 29 January, 2021, 09:57:45 PM
This video by the Internet Historian is sort of relevant.

Am really enjoying a bunch of Internet Historian videos now. Thanks.

His No Man's Sky video was not what I was expecting at all, and probably his best work.

shaolin_monkey

"Hardcore Gangster Rapturist"

Yeah, I stopped there.

Professor Bear

Funt Solo

Blimey - there's been no politics at all for over a month!

I enjoyed this story: Piers Morgan leaves ITV's Good Morning Britain after row over Meghan remarks.

Mainly because I've always thought Piers was a complete [Khonsu]*.

*Admin. note: your expletive has been automatically replaced with a random deity.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Piers Morgan will never refuse an opportunity to act like a dick. I don't think he realises he blew his chance at a knighthood when he hacked that dead wee girl's phone.

I liked the Irish times take on things

QuoteHaving a monarchy next door is a little like having a neighbour who's really into clowns and has daubed their house with clown murals, displays clown dolls in each window and has an insatiable desire to hear about and discuss clown-related news stories. More specifically, for the Irish, it's like having a neighbour who's really into clowns and, also, your grandfather was murdered by a clown.

Beyond this, it's the stuff of children's stories. Having a queen as head of state is like having a pirate or a mermaid or Ewok as head of state. What's the logic? Bees have queens, but the queen bee lays all of the eggs in the hive. The queen of the Britons has laid just four British eggs, and one of those is the sweatless creep Prince Andrew, so it's hardly deserving of applause.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 09 March, 2021, 09:24:32 PM
Blimey - there's been no politics at all for over a month!

I enjoyed this story: Piers Morgan leaves ITV's Good Morning Britain after row over Meghan remarks.

Mainly because I've always thought Piers was a complete [Khonsu]*.

*Admin. note: your expletive has been automatically replaced with a random deity.

I've occasionally enjoyed him putting Tories on the spot and ripping them a new one for botching the pandemic so much.  For a few seconds I think, 'Nice one, Piers!'... but then I remember: he's Piers cocking Morgan.  Good riddance.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

The frothing over the Markle interview (with Harry sat there as a lovely adornment ...), especially over at the Fail, would be amusing if it were not actually so disturbing for what it says about their priorities.

I mean, we've got over 100k officially dead due to the pandemic.  We've got public services not just on the point of collapse  but now so far over it is terrifying.  This government has channelled millions into dubious contracts for goods and services, including a 'test and trace' service that can't even keep track of its own staff.  The government has just approved a six figure payout over allegations of bullying conducted by a member of the cabinet.

Yet what is the singularly most important issue of the day?  An American actresses claims of racism and bullying against a bunch of benefits scroungers that do nothing for the country except siphon off money and property.

The UK is definitely a "potato republic"  (like a banana republic with all the corruption, cronyism and crap ... just also with weather that's really only good for growing tubers in the ground!)