Main Menu

Prog 2181 - Reporting for duty

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 May, 2020, 08:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

And why wouldn't they? His Dredd run has so far been superb. There's a slightly old-school sense of heart (to the strips — not Dredd) and silliness, along with the hard-edge of the Meg and Dredd. It all works really well.

broodblik

It looks like Niemand will be used as the main Dredd writer since the start of the year he has written most of the Dredd stories. I would not mind him being the regular writer.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: paddykafka on 13 May, 2020, 10:23:49 AM
I'm just seeing all the writer droids in the command module standing up, one after another, and declaring, a-la-Spartacus: "I'm Neimand!" ... "I'm Neimand!" .... "I'm Neimand!"...

I'M TIGER WOODS*

*This only makes sense if you used to go to Glastonbury back in the (my) day. If you did this is hilarious I'm sure...

Judge Olde

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 May, 2020, 12:57:51 PM
Oh my gosh Bolt you could just be right. I'd completely missed that... I wonder...

As much as I'd [spoiler]love that to be the case, I think that he's got the wrong eye missing.[/spoiler]

TordelBack

Quote from: Judge Olde on 13 May, 2020, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 May, 2020, 12:57:51 PM
Oh my gosh Bolt you could just be right. I'd completely missed that... I wonder...

As much as I'd [spoiler]love that to be the case, I think that he's got the wrong eye missing.[/spoiler]

Yeah, but it's Simon Fraser - the man has previous!

Richard

I would hate that to be the case. [spoiler]Dead characters coming back to life or not really being dead is a rubbish comics cliche which 2000AD generally avoids; doing it twice in the same story would just take the piss.[/spoiler]

Richard

I would be delighted if Kenneth Niemand became the main Dredd writer in Wagner's absence. He really "gets" Dredd, and his story-telling is superb.

DrJomster

"Any part of that perp description sound like I need back-up, control?"

Some very nice dialogue in this week's Dredd.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

A.Cow

Quote from: Richard on 13 May, 2020, 10:44:20 PM
I would hate that to be the case. [spoiler]Dead characters coming back to life or not really being dead is a rubbish comics cliche which 2000AD generally avoids; doing it twice in the same story would just take the piss.[/spoiler]

Agreed.
Has anybody considered that it might be [spoiler]Dolman[/spoiler]?  Would also fit her comment.

Bolt-01

That is an interesting idea.

As for giving Niemand the keys to drive Dredd - I'd just hold on there. The man has written some cracking strips so far, but beware of putting too much pressure onto the man.

I think TMO has a good balance at the mo, Dredd needs a good pool of writers.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 13 May, 2020, 10:44:20 PM

Fairly significant fan-favourite character [spoiler]'dies' off-panel after being badly injured always flags the possibility that they're not really dead, surely? In this case, it would fit the thrust of the series, since Hershey faked her own death to provide an angle of attack on the power structures Smiley had built — having other 'believed dead' characters on her side would make sense.[/spoiler] I'm certainly not suggesting you have to like it, only that it would make sense in context.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

I've said this before elsewhere, but I think the idea that 2000AD generally avoids resurrecting the dead is actually less true than we'd like it to be – the fact is, Tharg brings people back to life with, if not quite the regularity of the Big Two, less hesitation than we might ascribe to him. That said, he also tends to do it with less hype.

Characters who have been killed off only to return anew include Ace Garp, Chopper, Johnny Alpha (twice!), Wulf (as a zombie), Torquemada, Nemesis, Hershey, chunks of Nikolai Dante's supporting cast (many of them were clearly always planned to return, but I'm betting Viktor was a swerve), Kano, Thrax, Danny Franks (effectively), Mad Tommy, Flytrap, the Angel Gang, Tyranny Rex, Rogue Trooper, Winwood and Cord, Claw Carver... and so on.

I'm not saying all these resurrections were necessarily bad – though I think some were definitely a mistake – but they're not as uncommon as we imagine.

Richard

That's a fair point. But when did Rogue come back from the dead? Or do you just mean we've had stories about him since he was killed, set before that happened?

Winwood and Cord didn't actually die. Or, being Indigo Prime operatives, they were dead already.

Greg M.

Rogue's implied to be dead at the end of the Winter Special story that concludes The Hit. He returns with the regened chips and Venus and gets killed. He's then resurrected, after a fashion, as Tor Cyan.

You're right about Winwood and Cord - their resurrection doesn't hugely bother me given the nature of Indigo Prime but I certainly read them as close to a more permanent end at the conclusion of Killing Time.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richard on 14 May, 2020, 01:17:54 PM
Winwood and Cord didn't actually die. Or, being Indigo Prime operatives, they were dead already.

True, but much like Chopper in Song of the Surfer, the end of Killing Time is infinitely better if they do, as they appear to, Cease to Be.