Main Menu

Rogue Trooper: IDW #4

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 21 May, 2014, 04:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

And now the end is here.............but let's hope not! The series ends with part four and so becomes one of IDW's mini-series by default :'(

Regular Cover:- Glenn Fabry with digital painting by Ryan Brown
Subscription Cover:- James Stokoe

Writer - Brian Ruckley
Artist - Alberto Ponticelli
Colourist - Stephen Downer
Letterer - Tom B Long

We start this off with Rogue being injected with Medication, Plasma, Nutrients, Stimulants and Nanites by Bagman, through his Automated Intravenous System (the bits that hold him onto Rogue). After calling for smoke, Rogue quickly fights his way out of the strongpoint and destroys the MP's vehicle as he does.

During the next few pages the biochips interact with each other and manage to slag off Rogue at the same time. During this the MP's are salvaging kit from their vehicle and head off in pursuit, only to have a Gundog in the way! The problem being that the Nort SAWP (Semi Autonomous Weapons Platform) Control Unit have just managed to get this one back online and it's given the ream a target reading.

The MP's try to take it out but members of the team either die in this assault or become casualties and Rogue decides to help them, even though the biochips don't want to. He takes it out after seeing a hole in its flank and then makes his escape. Unluckily for him he takes a hit from the remaining MP through his right shoulder.

After catching up with Rogue, he gets taken out by a single shot from off page. This has come from Breaker who then tells Rogue that he's off to rejoin his squad.

Rogue gets patched up and Angel contacts him to tell him to head to Abada to meet up with the patched up remains of the Seventh Kashan Divison and we end with Rogue running the 300 Klicks to that location.

All in all an interesting start to what could hopefully be an ongoing series but if not, then so be it! A great introduction to the world of Rogue and nothing was rammed down our necks to help us understand anything, which shows how well written it was.

I only have a couple of niggles with the art this issue and they are as follows. When the MP is taken out from off page, the shot comes from below but when Breaker is revealed he's high up. The other mistake is when the MP's are following Rogue, we get a 'Saving Private Ryan' incident. There are five MP's following him but in one shot, we see six. Minor points in an otherwise fun read.

Link Prime

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 21 May, 2014, 04:41:07 PM

All in all an interesting start to what could hopefully be an ongoing series but if not, then so be it! A great introduction to the world of Rogue and nothing was rammed down our necks to help us understand anything, which shows how well written it was.

As mooted on another thread, the possibility of this been continued in the Prog is eyebrow raising.
At the very least, I'd definitely be interested in seeing Brian Ruckley make 'official' Droid status.

GordonR

I'm meeting Brian for a drink tomorrow. (Since we both live in Edinburgh.) Maybe I'll find out what his post-RT comic writing plans are.

dweezil2

Quote from: GordonR on 21 May, 2014, 06:10:23 PM
I'm meeting Brian for a drink tomorrow. (Since we both live in Edinburgh.) Maybe I'll find out what his post-RT comic writing plans are.

That would be cool to know Gordon!
Please let Brian know how much fans enjoyed the series.
As also mentioned on another thread, one of the editors from IDW has suggested that if the sales of the collected graphic novel sell well, they may reconsider the cancellation and continue the series.
So you know what to do, the collected GN is up for pre-order on Amazon UK now! 
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Frank

I'm meeting Brian for a drink tomorrow. (Since we both live in Edinburgh.) Maybe I'll find out what his post-RT comic writing plans are

Ask him how his version of Old Blue Balls tied in with Friday, Tor Cyan, and the original Rogue Trooper, because you have to do that if you're writing a RT reboot, and all fans desperately need that kind of pointless polyfilla-ing of narrative.

COMMANDO FORCES

It niggled me all night (well, not really all night, more like on and off) about the panel when the MP is taken out and I've finally been able to check it again. The shot has to come from behind but the angle is all wrong and the impact sound is on the exit side, which looks like a laser type weapon has hit him. It's just the way it's been drawn that makes it look as though the shot comes from the front.

Anyway, it's still a good read, so buy the trade ;)

SmallBlueThing

Enjoyed the final issue- and yes, a real shame any future adventures will be dependent on trade sales. I'd just like to have seen the writer given a free hand to continue as he sees fit, without the shadow of worrying about the sales and popularity for a while. Still, that's the business I guess, and it was nice while it lasted. I will buy the trade for my eldest, as he likes Rogue a lot and hasn't read any of this one yet- thereby fulfilling my part in trying to get another run and not having to double-up on the shelf.

SBT

dweezil2

Nice one SBT!
I shall do likewise!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Bat King

Tell him that he pleased some of us... bloomin grouchy whiney needful things that we are.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Albion

Good stuff indeed. I'm sad to see it finish.
For me, it was the best 2000AD based thing that IDW have produced so far.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

SKD

Sorry to see this series end, as I much prefer IDWs efforts on Rogue to their attempt at re-writing Dredd. The art may not have always been my cup of tea, though it has had its moments, but the script has been superb, combining enough familiarity with an injection of fresh ideas. Hopefully this will not be the last we see of this incarnation of our favourite GI.

Stew.

BPP

Issue four was really strong and nicely twisty and mean. Great that it concluded the arc to make a full small story as well. Strong storytelling, nice workd building (the use of disabled soilders especially) and a meaty solid conclusion. The art was middling and didn't add much in terms of dramatic layouts and composition but solid enough. Sub-2000ad standards.

Sad to see it off the pull list, it's been a treat.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Fungus

Just read #4, loved this series (especially the earlier parts - which managed to be interesting and combat-based at the same time). You can see the writer cared about getting things right.
[Except that jarring shot at the end which I agree was sloppy. Got me wondering if the writing or art bore the blame there...].

It was mentioned (podcast?) that this series was effectively cancelled early on (possibly before issue 1?) due to the vagaries of comic shops ordering (or not) in advance? If so, that's grim. Meanwhile the Spidery Avenging X-books roll on...

Bat King

Grim but perfectly normal the way US comic sales are done.

Comics & TV series live and die by early reactions. For comics it can be very quick... In this case the decision appears to have been made on those pre-orders of Issue 1. IDW always do 4 or 5 issue arcs so the chop as predestined at issue 4.

Shame. But if sales pick up now all 4 are out & if a trade sells well... If...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

mimikeke

I randomly added this comic to my pull list at my store in Cali and ended up buying the Tales of Nu Earth vols after reading a couple issues  :'(  I even did a bit of fanart of Rogue and his equipment (posted in the doodle thread) and am screenprinting a rogue tee for myself haha.  Really lame they are stopping the series.