Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

As others have said, it may be elsewhere in the collection.

robert_ellis

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 July, 2016, 08:24:35 PM

I hadn't thought of that. I'd love to hear Matt Smith's thinking behind his selections - Desert Island Dredd style!

Apestrife

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 July, 2016, 08:24:35 PM

In the light of such, wasn't there some talks about a MC1-citizens collection?

Fingers crossed it's included one way or another.

Oh, and also. Portrait of a Politician. Gotta have that one as well :D

robert_ellis

Trent

There is a clear common thread to these posts. Rebellion need to publish a deluxe hardback (with colour centrespreads) of Ron Smith's stories from the era of classic Dredd.
Get to it Molcher and co!

Fungus

The Shakespeare family are a favourite feature of Dredd's (first, if you insist) Golden Era. While we're talking themes, a collection on the Meg's crazy citizenry sounds like a nice package. Unamerican Graffiti, Citizen Snork, a Ron Smith-heavy vilume or two would work perfectly.

PS. Gareth Bale's chin would do nicely for any Dredd telly series.

Edit: or, what Trent said, I suppose.

abelardsnazz

The Stupid Gun, Bob & Carol & Ted & Ringo, The Graveyard Shift....so many classic Ron stories. Good to see some included in the recent Missionary Man volume. More please.

Apestrife

Got a PM from the MC on FB regarding UnAmerican Graffiti. Says they're thinking of including it in a later book.

Fingers crossed :)

moly

robert_ellis

Let's cut to the chance and ask Patrick Goddard & Dylan Teague if there's more spine artwork!

abelardsnazz

Purgatory reads like an unmade Arnie/Sly 80s action film, rejected for being too over the top. Inferno turns it down a bit but Grice is still a pantomime villain. Best to view as a Big Mac and fries compared to the majority of the rest of the collection's multi-course gourmet banquet and move on.

Looking forward to Horror Stories, full contents as yet unknown....

Jade Falcon

I enjoyed this book funnily enough.  I know it's not held in high regard here, and I agree that Grice is a bit of a pantomime villain.  Nothing much was ever said about the ultimate fate of DuGaulle, even the old A-Z Judge Dredd book just says she was left behind by Grice and his crew.  I suppose she was killed in the explosion.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 07 July, 2016, 08:34:30 PM
I enjoyed this book funnily enough.  I know it's not held in high regard here, and I agree that Grice is a bit of a pantomime villain. 

Which to me is one of its worse crimes, and it has many, but when he was first in Dredd he was a great character.

Rately

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 July, 2016, 09:14:33 PM
Quote from: Jade Falcon on 07 July, 2016, 08:34:30 PM
I enjoyed this book funnily enough.  I know it's not held in high regard here, and I agree that Grice is a bit of a pantomime villain. 

Which to me is one of its worse crimes, and it has many, but when he was first in Dredd he was a great character.

If i recall correctly, when Grice first appeared in a few stories he was more than a match for Dredd. The referendum stories were some of the first Dredd i followed chronologically, and in light of the layers to the character, it was a bit disappointing to see how he was later portrayed.

His death, especially.

Hawkmumbler

Grice's death is a note worthy 'Not-Dredd' moment. A classic example of a writer not getting what the character stands for.