Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Trent

My Mike McMahon print turned up, lovely thing, wish it was bigger. Don't know why McDonalds got upset, as it's quite clearly MacDonalds who were being lampooned.
Just need my copy of the book to turn up now; probably in a Southern postal sorting office having fallen foul of my postal redirect (although the poster made it).

Trent

Bah, idiot. Meant to post this in Cursed Earth thread.

James Stacey

Quote from: Trent on 11 July, 2016, 03:59:03 PM
My Mike McMahon print turned up, lovely thing, wish it was bigger. Don't know why McDonalds got upset, as it's quite clearly MacDonalds who were being lampooned.
Just need my copy of the book to turn up now; probably in a Southern postal sorting office having fallen foul of my postal redirect (although the poster made it).
I don't think MacDonalds were upset. Green Giant were. They just removed them all from circulation to be safe. Unless I mis-remember.

Anzati

Quote from: robert_ellis on 07 July, 2016, 06:59:27 PM
Let's cut to the chance and ask Patrick Goddard & Dylan Teague if there's more spine artwork!

Good idea; I'm sure there is ;)

Tjm86

Quote from: James Stacey on 12 July, 2016, 08:55:31 AM

I don't think MacDonalds were upset. Green Giant were. They just removed them all from circulation to be safe. Unless I mis-remember.

TPO has Green Giant making the complaint and IPC lawyers making the decision not to reprint again.  (p47)

Jade Falcon

So what's the next book then?  So far I've been lucky in getting a lot of stuff I've either not read before, or don't have in any form or haven't read for a long time.  I can't remember when I stopped reading 2000AD but it was after the last of the old style Rogue Trooper stories where it was left on a cliffhanger after the screwed up peace treaty.

Dredd wise, the last stories I remember were during McGruders tenure as Chief Judge the first time.  And it was when the vast majority of the strip bar the centre spread was still black and white.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Trent

If that's the case the next 2 books will be a mixed blessing.
Horror Stories is a mixture of thematically linked stories some of which you may have seen.
Then up is The Day the Law Died which I would guess you have read. It's bundled with mini epic Helter Skelter (12 parts) which is well drawn drivel that reads like fan fiction.

The Monarch

So the day the law died does not have necropolis in it? ;)

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Trent on 13 July, 2016, 11:38:03 PM
If that's the case the next 2 books will be a mixed blessing.
Horror Stories is a mixture of thematically linked stories some of which you may have seen.
Then up is The Day the Law Died which I would guess you have read. It's bundled with mini epic Helter Skelter (12 parts) which is well drawn drivel that reads like fan fiction.
A somewhat logical if not entirely brilliant decision. Like you i'm no fan of Helter Skelter beyond the art (superb!) and seeing as i'm shamelessly in love with The Day the Law Died it seem's a real downer after one of the defining epics of early Dredd.

bedlamvr

Not quite as much as a downer as the Galen stories at the end of the Simping Detective book. - well probably. But like then i guess the two stories are pretty much related  (kinda) .

Given the epics that have been and gone in the collection though, the only one I can see that remain include tour of duty, Luna 1 Wilderlands and the Judge Child. ( althoguht there are some related stories like the city of the dammed and of course In the Year 2120 .

I am a little concerned we are promised 3 volumes of Armatidge - I thought he was an interesting but kind of limited character when i fisrt saw him in the meagzine . - Se seem to have more supporting cast and anthologies to come which seems a little disappointing...

Trent

I thought there were 2 Armitage volumes coming - has something else been indicated?
I get the impression that only a portion of the Luna1 stories will be included so not really presented as an epic.
I suspect Vol 41 will feature The Hunting Party but otherwise all epics have been accounted for.
I do agree that there are more volumes focussing on ancilliarycharacters than I would like but I am willing to accept Armitage, Heavy Mob, Shimura etc in order to get complete Low Life, Koburn and 3 volumes of Missionary Man. So horses for courses I guess.
I still hope for an extension when I think about how much top notch Dredd material will be excluded. Maybe a continuation of the deluxe Case Files is in order.

BPP

Quote from: Trent on 15 July, 2016, 10:11:27 PM
I thought there were 2 Armitage volumes coming - has something else been indicated?
I get the impression that only a portion of the Luna1 stories will be included so not really presented as an epic.
I suspect Vol 41 will feature The Hunting Party but otherwise all epics have been accounted for.
I do agree that there are more volumes focussing on ancilliarycharacters than I would like but I am willing to accept Armitage, Heavy Mob, Shimura etc in order to get complete Low Life, Koburn and 3 volumes of Missionary Man. So horses for courses I guess.
I still hope for an extension when I think about how much top notch Dredd material will be excluded. Maybe a continuation of the deluxe Case Files is in order.

I've zero complaints about the collection but what is clear is that what we are getting is material that has already been processed for 2000ADs own GN line (with the odd exception). There is a mass of fantastic Dredd material from the last 15 years that falls between the casefiles and what has come out in GN. Its a shame lots of this will be lost to the series but from a cost point of view its easy to see and to understand what is going on. So on those grounds I'd be against any extension and once my volumes are done I'm oot regardless of any extensions.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Mattofthespurs

The Monarch

I am curious whats in vol 77

But yeah i think theres a decent mix of unreprinted stuff so far i am genuinly happy to have the missionary man collection despite its baffling vol number

Luna 1 has its own collection in vol 80