Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Quote from: Cyber-Matt on 09 September, 2016, 01:30:43 PM
Quote from: Tordelback on 09 September, 2016, 09:48:19 AM

I imagine even Tharg has to play the game to get Eaglemoss on board.

Or Hachette, even.

Oh, I love that!  You do realise that from now on, every time I read a post by Cyber-Matt, I'm going to imagine you talk like Snagglepuss, right?

M Molcher: "Time to leave, boss.  It's finishing time!"
M Smith: "Exit, stage left even!"

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Mattofthespurs

I do believe that the cover is issue 44 (volume 80) is by far my favourite of the series thus far.
Beautiful stuff and issue 45 (volume 47) isn't so shabby either.
Got them both this morning.

IndigoPrime

*opens box*
*looks at crushed corners and spines*
*sighs wearily at this happening yet again*
*wonders how much a bit of bubble wrap would have cost*
*looks forward to reading nonetheless*

IndigoPrime

Is it me, or is vol 80 especially chunky? Seems heftier than most.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 September, 2016, 11:22:45 AM
*opens box*
*looks at crushed corners and spines*
*sighs wearily at this happening yet again*
*wonders how much a bit of bubble wrap would have cost*
*looks forward to reading nonetheless*

I'd beat up the postman. Mine have all be absolutely mint since I took his dog hostage

abelardsnazz

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 10 September, 2016, 11:33:43 AMI'd beat up the postman. Mine have all be absolutely mint since I took his dog hostage
Our local depot is dreadful, but it also showcases that the packaging isn't fully fit for purpose. it's notable that replacements Ie ordered in the early days when the damage was more severe came in far better protection. (More recently, that wasn't the case, though – my replacement Total War looked like it had been used as a football.)

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 10 September, 2016, 11:50:30 AMIs Darkside in volume 80?
It's the first strip, curiously. (I say curiously on the basis that there's Bolland in this collection, and so I'm surprised it doesn't lead with that.)

The full contents are:

Darkside
Breathing Space
Land Race
The First Luna Olympics
Luna War
The Face-Change Crimes
The Oxygen Board
Full Earth Crimes
Global Psycho
Killer Elite
+ some covers and a four-page Molcher essay with an embedded RW interview.

I imagine collectors will be pleased to know the old Dredd strips seem to have good repro and colour spreads.

TordelBack

Don't believe I've read Killer Elite. Is that the first Bachman story (or alternatively a games spinoff strip smuggled in by those Kingsleys)? Intriguelling.

Dark Jimbo

I think it's the GRennie story with Paul Marshall on art that saw the return of the 'Global Psycho' character (hence the inclusion of Global Psycho)!
@jamesfeistdraws

Trent

Given the work done for Casefiles Deluxe Vol1 there are decent copies of the Bolland tales readily accessible. Still pleased they used these and include the colour.
Please, please a deluxe Judge Child.
What's in Tour of Duty and is it the middle volume?

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 September, 2016, 12:10:24 PM
It's the first strip, curiously. (I say curiously on the basis that there's Bolland in this collection, and so I'm surprised it doesn't lead with that.)

The full contents are:

Darkside
Breathing Space
Land Race
The First Luna Olympics
Luna War
The Face-Change Crimes
The Oxygen Board
Full Earth Crimes
Global Psycho
Killer Elite
+ some covers and a four-page Molcher essay with an embedded RW interview.
I'm surprised that within each collection they're not in chronological order myself.

robert_ellis

Dark Side of the Moon might be one of my favourite volumes yet. It's a great use of this series thematic emphasis and blood looks great in low gravity. I guess any volume that reprints Bolland with the centre spreads in glorious colour is worth the cash.Breathing Space is a near miss of a masterpiece. I couldn't always follow what was going on but the atmosphere is fantastic - and any narrative confusion may be deliberate in a Jacob's Ladder way. Killer elite is a high concept, high bodycount action movie - the kind that succeeds without lapsing into parody. There's also a splash of Ian Gibson colour art on Global Psycho. Overall this is the kind of carefully selected eccentric mashup of stories from decades apart that I'd hoped for. Top marks.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tordelback on 10 September, 2016, 03:21:50 PM
Don't believe I've read Killer Elite. Is that the first Bachman story (or alternatively a games spinoff strip smuggled in by those Kingsleys)? Intriguelling.
First appearance of Bachman was in the meg story THE FAMILY MAN with E-wing Leigh Gallagher.

GordonR

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 September, 2016, 09:09:55 AM
First appearance of Bachman was in the meg story THE FAMILY MAN with E-wing Leigh Gallagher.

I wrote Killer Elite.  No idea at all who or what Bachman is.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: GordonR on 12 September, 2016, 09:43:05 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 September, 2016, 09:09:55 AM

I wrote Killer Elite.  No idea at all who or what Bachman is.
Ah ha! Appears we're at and odd crossroads, I was referring to Judge Bachmann (sic) as appeared in Trifecta and The Family Man before it, and assumed this was the character in question Tordels! My mistake! In contrast I don't believe i've read your Killer Elite story. :lol: