Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

Didn't doherty do a devlin story?

A quick search says innocence and experience the last to date waugh strip 24 pages

The Monarch

Then i remember it was in the chasing herod book

Trent

Credits imply Fetish (85 pages), Mouthful of Dust (20), Vile Bodies (12), All Hell (50) which total 167 pages and likely a Smith/Doherty Dredd such as Roadkill (20) and/or Old Wounds (21).
Don't see Strange and Darke making the cut but maybe in the fabled extension which we have probably already filled with suggestions.
Not Devlin Waugh's greatest fan although I love Colin's painted art but good to see all his tales bar the text stories collected.
Only gripe is that the extras in the first volume didn't include the Jock version of the first part of Red Tide unlike the Rebellion trade. Missed opportunity for a genuinely juicy and presumably accessible bonus feature. With 3 Waugh trades there was enough room for it somewhere. Never know.

Trent

Oh, and a gripe about Hachette.
Calhab and Young Death still not turned up. Called Hachette who bizarrely asked me if I wanted a refund and seemed surprised when I calmly but firmly stated that 45 issues into a collection I would rather have the actual books. These were apparently reissued (over a week ago) and now checking my online account my credit card payment has been reversed under the premise 'card number too long'. This is the same card they have used 22 times automatically in the past.
Gaahhh, another phone call beckons.

Michael Knight

they really are a company that needs to get act together, I have many friends that have subscribed to other partworks of theirs that have had exactly the same problems. Glad i stuck with my newsagent instead.

Trent

Just got off the phone with a sense of deja vu. Last person I spoke to apparently didn't reorder the books for me for some unknown reason but the one this time said she would.
We'll see.

moldovangerbil

Talking to Hachette just feels like a constant uphill battle akin to talking to a creationist about evolution.

I'm battling to try to get them to remove a charge for a too long card number off my account as well.  They've at least acknowledged it as an error - I just need them to net it off so that their system doesn't charge me for it.  I live in hope.

IndigoPrime

Use Facebook instead. First, you get everything in writing. Secondly, for whatever reason the Facebook people know what they are doing.

Trent

Hmm, not sure I want to join Friendface just for that.

Tony Angelino

Just finished #43, the Taxidermy one. Even though the stories were mainly by Wagner and Grant this was not one of the better collections.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Trent on 28 October, 2016, 09:30:01 AM
Oh, and a gripe about Hachette.
Calhab and Young Death still not turned up. Called Hachette who bizarrely asked me if I wanted a refund and seemed surprised when I calmly but firmly stated that 45 issues into a collection I would rather have the actual books. These were apparently reissued (over a week ago) and now checking my online account my credit card payment has been reversed under the premise 'card number too long'. This is the same card they have used 22 times automatically in the past.
Gaahhh, another phone call beckons.

I had this letter for the Millenium Falcon model. Got an email apologising that it was incorrect.

Jade Falcon

Well I read Calhab Justice and I can't say that I was overly impressed.  None of the stories really grabbed me that much and it's nothing to do with stereotypes or anything like that.  The artwork in places was okay, though I must say that the second appearance of Judge Buchan somewhat resembled some versions of a younger Judge Anderson.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 30 October, 2016, 06:24:26 PM
Well I read Calhab Justice and I can't say that I was overly impressed.  None of the stories really grabbed me that much and it's nothing to do with stereotypes or anything like that.  The artwork in places was okay, though I must say that the second appearance of Judge Buchan somewhat resembled some versions of a younger Judge Anderson.

I enjoyed most of the Calhab stories more than I was expecting to, which was a bonus. The final story False Dawn was a bit too much all over the place though.

The Judge Joyce stories that round out the volume are pretty throwaway, although the Steve Dillon one has extra poignancy due to his recent passing. RIP Steve.

IndigoPrime

I finished trudging through Calhab last night. I didn't like it the first time round, and unlike the Death stuff, I can't say my opinion of it has changed any. Some of the art is OK, and the broad explanation for the stereotyping is quite smart, but other than that I thought it was fairly awful. The highlight was the interview, with the writer talking about the shortcomings (including the then very commonplace 'the reader will figure out what I meant', rather than, you know, actual coherence on the page). And while I'm happy paying for this on subscription, god knows what I'd have felt on paying ten quid for this volume as a one-off.

abelardsnazz

The Hachette page is showing covers up to issue 53, as follows:
51: Anderson - Engram. Cover by David Roach (I think), credits Alan Grant, Arthur Ranson, Ian Gibson and Roach.
52: Banzai Battalion. Cover by?, credits John Wagner, Henry Flint, Cam Kennedy, Ian Gibson, Steve Dillon, Steve Roberts and Arthur Ranson.
53: Heavy Metal Dread. Cover by John Hicklenton, credits Wagner, Grant, John Smith,  Garth Ennis, Simon Bisley, Hicklenton, Dermatitis Power.
Contents therein?