Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 12 November, 2016, 03:19:53 PM
There had been bickering within the Council Of Five, but the first hint I can remember of factions plotting within the Department was Grice's [1] failed plot to scupper the referendum after Necropolis [2].

Arguably this type of story goes right back to DtLD, and the flashback sections of Oz.

IndigoPrime

I just started Into the Undercity, and I'll take back what I said about Creep. I'm not sure why it didn't click with me at the time, but it certainly has something about it. The colour tale was perhaps one too far, but the b+w one were suitably horrific and, well, creepy.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 November, 2016, 02:33:12 AM
Quote from: abelardsnazz on 12 November, 2016, 02:04:24 PM
Really enjoyed Wilderlands ... the political machinations back in the city an indication of things to come in later stories - was this the first time they'd appeared to such a degree?

There had been bickering within the Council Of Five, but the first hint I can remember of factions plotting within the Department was Grice's [1] failed plot to scupper the referendum after Necropolis [2].

Arguably this type of story goes right back to DtLD, and the flashback sections of Oz.

I thought about The Day The Law Died, but describing pickling as 'political machinations' seems a bit of a stretch*. Nice work on Judd though - that didn't occur to me at all.

* Cal seems straight out of the invisible Ninja academy

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Frank on 13 November, 2016, 02:47:28 PM
Cal seems straight out of the invisible Ninja academy...

I actually find Cal more believable than the many ninja judge departments, as a bloke who simply flipped his lid (in an admittedly big way) the moment he achieved absolute power. By contrast, Smiley, and Carroll's 'Section Zero' especially, require a silly amount of logic- and continuity-straining hoops to jump through to make them work.
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 13 November, 2016, 03:51:17 PM

I actually find Cal more believable than the many ninja judge departments ... Smiley, and Carroll's 'Section Zero' especially, require a silly amount of logic- and continuity-straining hoops to jump through

That's very true, with the caveat that Williams is making Smiley's two decades of inaction slightly more credible by changing his motivation from that of night watchman to villain.

Sector Zero lost me when it revealed the sinister mastermind was The Badger.

Davgardo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 November, 2016, 01:51:09 PM
I just started Into the Undercity, and I'll take back what I said about Creep. I'm not sure why it didn't click with me at the time, but it certainly has something about it. The colour tale was perhaps one too far, but the b+w one were suitably horrific and, well, creepy.

Pleasantly surprised by Creep too. Has a 1920's horror movie vibe. Shame the character never had a resolution.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 November, 2016, 02:33:12 AM
Quote from: abelardsnazz on 12 November, 2016, 02:04:24 PM
Really enjoyed Wilderlands ... the political machinations back in the city an indication of things to come in later stories - was this the first time they'd appeared to such a degree?

I thought about The Day The Law Died, but describing pickling as 'political machinations' seems a bit of a stretch*. Nice work on Judd though - that didn't occur to me at all.

* Cal seems straight out of the invisible Ninja academy

If you think in it, other signs of disagreement within the Council followed soon after when Dredd decided not to bring back the Judge Child.  Interestingly enough it was McGruder who was one of the main dissenters over Griffin.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

I, Cosh

Quote from: Frank on 13 November, 2016, 05:20:38 PM
I actually find Cal more believable than the many ninja judge departments ... Smiley, and Carroll's 'Section Zero' especially, require a silly amount of logic- and continuity-straining hoops to jump through
That's very true, with the caveat that Williams is making Smiley's two decades of inaction slightly more credible by changing his motivation from that of night watchman to villain.

Sector Zero lost me when it revealed the sinister mastermind was The Badger.
Too right. If you're going to name your villain after a Tour de France hero, why not The Cannibal or The Eagle of Toledo?
We never really die.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Frank on 13 November, 2016, 05:20:38 PM

Reeeeally must try and catch up on this year's progs...!
@jamesfeistdraws

Davgardo

Finished Into the Undercity. After the disastrous Calhab volume I wasn't looking forward to this at all, but I was pleasantly surprised - some great stuff in there, and The Creep proved much better than I'd remembered both in story and artwork.
My only criticism concerns the running order - it's very odd going with Creep as the lead strip. Surely it would have been better to have used it later in the volume to break up some of the Dredd strips which can be a bit samey: perp escapes into the underworld/Judges follow.

Other than that, very pleased with it.

robert_ellis

I think in the Mighty One book by Steve MacManus he always said the prog story order was decided in a set way - best strip first and end with the second best. I think Creep was the most memorable strip of note in there but I thought ending on a generic Dredd vs Alligators was poor - although always nice to see a colour double spread. Real shame to miss out the Werewolf strip but I guess there' ll be a book of Vampires & supernatural beasties.

The Monarch

Leigh S

I actually find Cal more believable than the many ninja judge departments, as a bloke who simply flipped his lid (in an admittedly big way) the moment he achieved absolute power. By contrast, Smiley, and Carroll's 'Section Zero' especially, require a silly amount of logic- and continuity-straining hoops to jump through to make them work.

I have always been a  bit downhearted by any story that tries the "corruption in the heart of Justice Dept" angle - the first one I can recall was a Hershey story form the Meg, and I don't think any since have hit teh mark - as you say, there is a difference between a power struggle as to the direction of the Dept and multiple secretly funded "ninja" depts, which are on the whole vaguely ludicrous  -the Judges dont need a maximum deniability squad operating on their own turf - they do what they like to who they like!

teckno viking

Well taken a fair few weeks but Finally got it sorted (via FB page than phone call due to comments here) to catch up on BACK ORDERS :D

So 14 days or so will be getting a Nice package of 42 through to 48 to bring me upto date then subscription will then pick up from 49.

Honestly NO idea why it has been such a chew on to be able to get  back orders or maybe that was due to particular staff, No idea but Happy to see after one Up front payment for the back orders I am sorted :D

Now do the Back orders in the next 14 days get here before ThreeA Dredd release is the Next question LOL

Trent

My missing original Calhab and Young Death just turned up after 7 weeks in the postal wilderness.
Got the replacement ones a couple of weeks ago so these are surplus. Of course you could make a case for all copies of Calhab being surplus but I digress.
Not really set up or technologically savvy to pass them on to another squaxx and given they are mostly Black and white I thought I might use them as colouring books. Interested to see Frazers art in colour.