Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Falcon

Can't say I was overawed with Heavy Metal Dredd, though I did like the last couple of stories which if I'm guessing the era right would be poking fun at the Stock, Aitken, Waterman Hits Factory era, though it can also apply to the present "X" got Talent, X Factor and so on.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Link Prime

Anyone have a full listing for the Heavy Metal Dredd volume?
I'm interested to know if both versions of 'Joe Dredd's Blues' are included.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 January, 2017, 08:48:21 AM
Anyone have a full listing for the Heavy Metal Dredd volume?
I'm interested to know if both versions of 'Joe Dredd's Blues' are included.

Listed against issue 53 here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Dredd:_The_Mega_Collection

Neither Joe Dredd's Blues appears though.

abelardsnazz

It was asked on the Facebook page whether Pirates of the Black Atlantic would be included, and the answer was negative. A real shame as it's such a pivotal story.

Taking solace that there's more Ron to come in The Judge Child, City of the Damned, and presumably the Mean Machine volume will include Dredd Angel.

By my reckoning there are still 6 unknown issues, so maybe there'll be some in those too.

sheridan

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 28 January, 2017, 10:19:16 AM
It was asked on the Facebook page whether Pirates of the Black Atlantic would be included, and the answer was negative. A real shame as it's such a pivotal story.
And the cover of Prog 199 as well!

moly

Not to have black Atlantic and sob story included would be a massive omission from the collection

moly

Just had cursed earth carnage and the chief judges man delivered

moly

Chief judges man has
Chief judge man
On the chief judges service
Revenge of the chief judges man
Psyco block
Bad manners
Flippers
Rotten manners

Cursed earth carnage has
The helltrekkers
Cit def field trip
Sleeze n Ryder

Trent

Mine just turned up too. Bit disappointed with Chief Judges Man extra stories when we could have had The Falucci Tapes or Death of a Judge etc. Never mind, as long as we get the other Edgar stories somewhere I'll be happy.
Note that Matt's intro states vol 53 is Brothers of the Blood - no surprise but nice to have it confirmed.

Cursed Earth Carnage is poor stuff. Helltrekkers is fun and lovely to see all the colour pages restored as well as the starscan showing all the cast list and which radwagon is which. Pleasingly complete and far better than the Meg reprint.
Other stories are drivel and not worth discussing further. Big shame.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Trent on 28 January, 2017, 11:09:44 AM
Mine just turned up too. Bit disappointed with Chief Judges Man extra stories when we could have had The Falucci Tapes or Death of a Judge etc.

Two unrelated solo stories from a completely different era of the comic, or a trilogy contemporary to the Chief Judge's Man stories and by one of the same artists to boot? I know which I think works better!

That's how you end up with the likes of the Heavy Mob/Klegg Hai...!
@jamesfeistdraws

Trent

To be fair, I am very happy to have the Manners trilogy but hoped that beyond that we might get some other 'judges gone bad' stories from an earlier era. Psycho Block doesn't do much for me other than Colin's art so that is where I would have swapped out the stories.

seanharry

They have included some real crap in this collection, yet they are omitting Pirates of the Black Atlantic?

WTF?

Trent

Perhaps if the fabled extension went ahead they could do an Apocalypse War companion volume including stories that led to it as well as some of the (many) post war stories.
Probably too much classic Dredd for their tastes ironically.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: seanharry on 29 January, 2017, 02:25:38 AM
They have included some real crap in this collection, yet they are omitting Pirates of the Black Atlantic?
My guess: colour content is being prioritised. Note that in some mixed volumes where it would have made sense to lead with older/b+w material for continuity's sense, they didn't.

Fungus

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 January, 2017, 10:28:30 AM
Quote from: seanharry on 29 January, 2017, 02:25:38 AM
My guess: colour content is being prioritised. Note that in some mixed volumes where it would have made sense to lead with older/b+w material for continuity's sense, they didn't.

It does feel that way.