Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Having waited to even start reading the other Tour of Duty volumes, I went to buy the third one from the Forbidden Planet website this morning.

It was sold out already!!!!

Thankfully Hatchette still had stock.

teckno viking

With the likes of "Tour of Duty" for instant, another reason Hatchett need add an INDEX volume with Issue 90.

A quick n easy look at where whats what in the MEGA COLLECTION.

TordelBack

Wow that Mutants in Mega City 1 volume is an absolute joy.  It was a long wait, but well worth it. 

Again I'm forced to reflect that Colin MacNeil is THE artist of this collection, and never moreso than here.  Such clarity, such solidity, such a believable world.  Perfect storytelling. I hope the exposure that his ubiquity (and diversity) in the Mega Collection has given him translates into an appropriate upgrading of his perceived status as one of the key droids in the history of Dredd (and his wider world). 

Magnetica

Yes for me there is no doubt that Colin MacNeil is right up there as true 2000AD legend.

His best stuff is just about as good as it gets. I know it is common for Bisley to be lauded for the Horned God but for me MacNeil's painted work (e.g America book 1 and Mechanimo book 1) is just as good.

The grey scale work on Insurrection books 1 and 2 is about as good black and white art as I have seen. I class it along side Bolland's Judge Death Lives and Fabry's Slaine The King as the best ever from the house of Tharg.

But, but....given how good his best is, I am always slightly disappointed when he merely does line work, whether it's the coloured stuff we have been getting on Dredd these last few years or the black and white stuff on Insurrection book 3.

But I know, I know...the painted  and grey scale stuff takes too long. So better to get far more of the line work style I guess.

Jamie1000013

Quote from: Magnetica on 29 September, 2017, 12:49:35 PM
Yes for me there is no doubt that Colin MacNeil is right up there as true 2000AD legend.

His best stuff is just about as good as it gets. I know it is common for Bisley to be lauded for the Horned God but for me MacNeil's painted work (e.g America book 1 and Mechanimo book 1) is just as good.

The grey scale work on Insurrection books 1 and 2 is about as good black and white art as I have seen. I class it along side Bolland's Judge Death Lives and Fabry's Slaine The King as the best ever from the house of Tharg.

But, but....given how good his best is, I am always slightly disappointed when he merely does line work, whether it's the coloured stuff we have been getting on Dredd these last few years or the black and white stuff on Insurrection book 3.

But I know, I know...the painted  and grey scale stuff takes too long. So better to get far more of the line work style I guess.

Yeah his art is stunning but the stand out artist for me was Carlos. Seeing that Apocalypse war story for the first time was nuts the art was out of this world. That double splash page with the war in full swing was just mental must have took him ages with all that detail. Necropolis was insane as well, I think both of those stories without Carlos wouldn't be the same. Insurrection by Macneil is a close second though. Mike Mcmahon's cursed earth in a close third as well. This whole collection has had some stunning art.

abelardsnazz

Mutants in Mega City One is a great volume, with incredibly significant stories in Dredd continuity and some great art, including the already highlighted Mr MacNeil.

I'll add my vote for an index volume, as although the Wikipedia page is useful it doesn't list prog numbers, year or creators. An answer has been given on the Facebook page in the negative, but hopefully if there are enough votes this decision can be changed.

Davgardo

Anyone know what the 'Krysler's Mark' volume on the Wikipedia page might be?

As they're are extending this series by 10 volumes and presumably hoping that everyone stays on board, I hope that at some stage soon they're going to announce what the extended volumes might include.
More Mad City type Volumes please and no more scooping up the dregs from the Megazine: the forthcoming Independent Operators looks pretty uninspiring. Harmony Krieg and O'Rork for Drokk's sake?

Tomwe

Quote from: Davgardo on 04 October, 2017, 02:49:46 PM
Anyone know what the 'Krysler's Mark' volume on the Wikipedia page might be?

As they're are extending this series by 10 volumes and presumably hoping that everyone stays on board, I hope that at some stage soon they're going to announce what the extended volumes might include.
More Mad City type Volumes please and no more scooping up the dregs from the Megazine: the forthcoming Independent Operators looks pretty uninspiring. Harmony Krieg and O'Rork for Drokk's sake?
That volume was always listed as "City of the Damned" until the Judge Child volume dropped and Matt Smith called it "Krysler's Mark" in his introduction.

The Monarch

i think the name changed since its got all the other judge child stuff and fink in it as well

robert_ellis

The announcement in prog 2051 that Angelic is Vol 27 (January) of the MegaCollection is good news. Is there enough for a full book?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: robert_ellis on 04 October, 2017, 07:11:48 PM
The announcement in prog 2051 that Angelic is Vol 27 (January) of the MegaCollection is good news. Is there enough for a full book?

You could chuck in Spurrier's Angel Gang stuff, too...?
@jamesfeistdraws

Mattofthespurs

Am I the only one that finds it amazing that a company wants to sell you something but wont tell you what it is?
Personally I find this an affront.

IndigoPrime

Not really. These books are closer in nature to a magazine than a set of graphic novels, in the way they are marketed. When you take out a subscription to 2000 AD, you're not told what you'll be getting a year down the line. That said, I'm not sure what they'd have to lose by at least outlining a few of the upcoming strips, if not entire books.

Dr Feeley Good

Has Death of a Legend been reprinted yet ? Looked on the Wikipedia index and didn't notice it...

Apestrife

Quote from: Dr Feeley Good on 08 October, 2017, 06:10:12 PM
Has Death of a Legend been reprinted yet ? Looked on the Wikipedia index and didn't notice it...

Haven't seen it. Was really hoping it'd show up in Wilderlands or The hunting party. Perhaps they could fit in some thematic volume. Strange if it was nowhere to be found. Great little story.