Main Menu

Random Non-Dredd Questions

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 20 March, 2023, 03:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

I've always referred to the tyrannosaur rhyming with satanic.  Mills must have said the name out aloud in an interview somewhere?

Blue Cactus

Quote from: JWare on 31 May, 2023, 08:13:46 AMI'm sure hair must have been pulled and angry tears shed over this sometime in the past, but what was the verdict?
Is it Satanus – emphasis on on first syllable, as in Satan?
or:
Satanus – emphasis on on second syllable, as in satanic?

Stop whatever it was you were doing. This is important.

Second one for me.

nxylas

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 31 May, 2023, 09:17:23 AM
Quote from: JWare on 31 May, 2023, 08:13:46 AMI'm sure hair must have been pulled and angry tears shed over this sometime in the past, but what was the verdict?
Is it Satanus – emphasis on on first syllable, as in Satan?
or:
Satanus – emphasis on on second syllable, as in satanic?

Stop whatever it was you were doing. This is important.

Second one for me.
I've always imagined it as the first. Satan with an "us" on the end.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 31 May, 2023, 08:48:06 AMI've always referred to the tyrannosaur rhyming with satanic.  Mills must have said the name out aloud in an interview somewhere?

He has, though Grud knows which podcast I listened to it on.  Most likely ECBT 2000ad.  I always pronounced it like you do, but he doesn't - it's 'SAY-tanus' for Pat.

I remember he had a fairly major mickeyfit at Gordon Rennie for 'helping himself' to the character for his own script.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

nxylas

Also in the Millsverse, I never knew what "nogeee" meant in the Terra-Meks, and I still don't. One of the titular Terra-Meks had it as its catchphrase, as I recall.

AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

Quote from: nxylas on 31 May, 2023, 03:14:07 PMSatanus – emphasis on on second syllable, as in satanic?

That's how I say it. Sat, like the word "sat". Then anus, but not like the word "anus". So, more like "an", then "us". If it was more like anus, that'd be a dinosaur with a whole different sort of threat.

---

Quote from: nxylas on 31 May, 2023, 05:35:54 PMI never knew what "nogeee" meant in the Terra-Meks, and I still don't.

This me also. Was he just mental?

---

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 May, 2023, 03:23:26 PMI remember he had a fairly major mickeyfit at Gordon Rennie for 'helping himself' to the character for his own script.

Richard Rodgers was absolutely livid about Pat's appropriation of his name for the character of Ro-Jaws. Let's face it - it probably shortened his life! (And Pat's wanton use of t-rex's without their permission was a direct cause of the demise of the entire dinosaur race.) Inspiration costs lives, people!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 May, 2023, 03:23:26 PMI always pronounced it like you do, but he doesn't - it's 'SAY-tanus' for Pat.

Surely, it's Satan-us, because we're the real villains of the story ... man.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 May, 2023, 06:48:27 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 May, 2023, 03:23:26 PMI always pronounced it like you do, but he doesn't - it's 'SAY-tanus' for Pat.

Surely, it's Satan-us, because we're the real villains of the story ... man.

I think old Pat could get a decade of stories out of that premise.  The 90s, specifically.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Being a country bumpkin of the Lancastrian variety, I always pronounced it Sa (with a flat "a" like a stereotypical Hammer northern yokel bit-player would pronounce it, or the sound Granville makes when Arkwright drags him by the ear) than-us (to rhyme with "tha' Knows"). But with fewer consonants, if you can imagine such a thing. Sommat like, Sattanus, tha' knows. But not quite that.

If you say it like I do three times while looking at the back of your own head through at least two mirrors, legend has it that you'll scare yourself sh*tless within 24 hours.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Blue Cactus

Quote from: nxylas on 31 May, 2023, 05:35:54 PMAlso in the Millsverse, I never knew what "nogeee" meant in the Terra-Meks, and I still don't. One of the titular Terra-Meks had it as its catchphrase, as I recall.

Absolutely. Never had any idea if this meant anything or was just an insane Terra-Mek thing.

AlexF

Is it true that 'Old One Eye' was Pat's nickname for his penis?

The Legendary Shark

No, I think he calls it "The Man."

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Lawman of the Present

Quote from: Tyranno-Mek on 31 May, 2023, 06:46:09 PMThat's how I say it. Sat, like the word "sat". Then anus, but not like the word "anus". So, more like "an", then "us". If it was more like anus, that'd be a dinosaur with a whole different sort of threat.

A Tyranno-Sore-Arse Rex, as it were.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Oh, well played, sir.

Quote from: AlexF on 05 June, 2023, 05:31:21 PMIs it true that 'Old One Eye' was Pat's nickname for his penis?

Think it may have been Blood-Prow.