Main Menu

All time Top Ten Films

Started by WoD, 13 November, 2006, 08:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concrete Block 15

I'm going for crack. Crystal meth at the very least.

Floyd-the-k

if Art was too ill to get out of bed to cough over the person who gave him Blues Brothers 2000, I'd carry him over to their house to aid and abet in the coughing process. I've seen it. It's foul.

The original is one of my top ten movies, as are:

Mad Max

Bedazzled (original)

Wings of Desire

Totoro

SPirited Away

buckaroo Banzai

Newsfront

Predator

Red Heat

Gimme Shelter

Jared Katooie

10) Dawn of the dead

9) Twelve Monkeys

8) Pirates of the Carribean

7) Pulp Fiction

6) Who framed Roger Rabbit?

5) Back to the future

4) The good, the bad and the ugly

3) Batman

2) Terminator 2

And the best film ever made...

1) Robocop

Bico

Ghostbusters - it says a lot that I enjoyed the sequel purely on the goodwill generated by the first installment.

Inherit the Wind - hollywood espousing liberal values without a trace of irony or shoehorning in the opposite point of view is great to behold.  A film that actually bleeds anger at willful ignorence from every frame.  WARNING:  Product contains ham.

Night of the Demon - great spooky horror that left a lasting impression on stuff like Kolchak.  Silly in places, and the demon itself was a mistake to show onscreen.  Still good.

L' Appartement - French, but good.  You only think you know what happened in that last scene - here's the same sequence of events seen by someone else.  Several times.  Glossy, but a great example of the kind of flick that American studios should be making if they managed to get away from the Big Star/Remake mindset.

Clerks - for some reason seen as a slacker comedy par excellence, it's actually a movie about twentysomething ennui.  When Smith moves away from subjects he's got definite opinions on, he's less successful as a film-maker, but this is spot-on.  A twentysomething guy with his whole life still ahead of him is scared of being stuck in a shit dead-end job for the rest of his life because he's too scared to break out of a rut - everyone around him can see it but he can't.  The antithesis of the wish-fulfillment fantasies of the likes of the American Pie movies.

The Eye - patchy Korean horror, but some great ideas thrown in with all the guff make it worth a viewing - like the "Who's that?" bit with the once-blind bird looking through photographs.  Once all of Korea is a smoking, green glowing hole in the ground, movies like this will be a curious time-capsule.

Pusher - Aw Jesus.  One of those unaccountably horrible experiences that you enjoy.

American Werewolf in London - unquestionably dated, but still the best werewolf movie ever made.  I admit that this isn't really a recommendation, but it's got Brian Glover in it.  Plus, with the advent of dvd, you can actually pause and zoom in on bits and see the fully-functional werewolf doing his thing, even though he'd be nothing more than a tiny dot on the cinema screen.

Carry On Screaming - deliberately stupid horror that doesn't veer into the realm of deconstructionism for cheap laughs.  Also the best Carry On movie - not actually a recommendation, but there you go.

Predator - Big Arnie Sweatyknickers twats alien ass.  Riddled with corn and bad production gaffs, but so straightforward as to be hard to dislike - also the least dated of Arnie's cannon, what with it being just some blokes in a jungle.  There's a remake coming, starring John Cena from the WWE, but it's best not dwell on that.

dweezil2

Spinal Tap
Blade Runner
Taxi Driver
Apocolypse Now
Goodfellas
Alien
The Shining(Kubrick)
Dirty Harry
The Unforgiven(Eastwood)
The Silence Of The Lambs

Pretty much one film from every genre.

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Jared Katooie

"Pretty much one film from every genre."

I dont see any nunsploitation films there...

ThryllSeekyr

For the work done and it's music cast. I still think 'Blue's Brother 2000' ruins the magic of the first film.

They just don't make films like that any more or if only very rarely.

Out of the 'Lord of the Rings' Trilogy. I think 'The Two Towers' was the best movie and book also. it was more action packed than the othe two movies, showing a diffrent version of the battle between Gandalf and the Balrog.

I actualley like the whole 'Matrix trilogy', though I think the 'MAtrix Reloaded' was the best. More action ( The freeway scene)and more fight scenes ( Neo fighting a almost infinite amount of Smith's.)

I though Pirates oif the Carribean: Dead Mens Chest. The best of the two films that have ebn made so far. The villians ( Davey Jones & his demonic crew and the giant squid.) were more interesting. The action fight scenes. ( The three battle beteween Will Turner and Sparrow and the Ex-Commodore on the cannibal infested island and the chase scenes that followed. The first movie was just a warm-up for this one here.

'Return of the Jedi' was the best movie out of the trilogy and the other three prequle movies before it got revamped. At time of it's first screenimng it was the most popluar sci/fi movie of all time and the great finish to the end the build of the the first twow movies. It had the largish divercity of weird aliens, a interesting villian other than Vader and the Emperor. ( Jabba the Hutt.) Great battle and action seqences.( Luke Skywalker at the Sarlacc pitt and the floating barge battle at Tattoine. Great chase scenes. ( Speeda bikes on Endor and the Millian Falcon inside the Deathstar.) The diverce lanscapes of Tattowioneand you find out that Luke and Leia are siblings and that Darth Vader is both their real father. Luke is also a full fledged Jedi master in this movie.

I'll put down more when I think of them, as I know thterea re better films out there.

Dark Jimbo

TWO mentions for Anchorman in the 'top ten films of all time' thread?!? Has the world gone mad?

Otherwise I'd agree with most of the above (although Temple of Doom is clearly the weakest of the three Indiana Jones films). And Bear - for mentioning 'Carry on Screaming', you win my unconditional love and admiration.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mattriceten

And I don't think I caught any Spaghetti Westerns in there... or I might be just blind, of course, so apologies to anyone who DID include 'For A Few Dollars MOre', clearly the stronger of the 'three' and clearly the BEST Western ever made, pipping even 'The Wild Bunch' to the top post... So, we are agreed. The number one film is 'For A Few Dollars More'.

Jim_Campbell

"And I don't think I caught any Spaghetti Westerns in there"

Right there with you on 'A Few Dollars More'. It's just fantastic.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ming

This will be more like a top fifty than a top ten, but at least I'll limit it to ten groups, from which I'd be happy to pick any at random for a top ten...  These are all for repeated watchability, and there's definitely a lack of recent stuff, but them's the breaks.  If I can have an eleventh, it's Valley of the Gwangi!

Seven Samurai / Yojimbo / Throne of Blood / The Hidden Fortress - Akira Kurosawa with all the usual goodies, influencing (or just ripped off by) everything from Morricone's Spaghetti Westerns to George feckin' Lucas' Star Wars; don't ask me to pick one, I love 'em all!

Once Upon a Time in the West Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda, Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards, killer soundtrack - what's not to like?  From start to finish, a stone-cold classic.

Postman Blues / Monday / Drive / Unlucky Monkey / Blessing Bell / Dangan Runner - Sabu.  Although Drive is probably my favourite, all of these are great, and I'd highly recommend the lot to anyone who likes quirky Japanese film (while I'm here I'll throw in Zipang and The most terrible time in my life by Kaizo Hayashi).

Prodigal Son / On the Run / Mr Vampire / Zu Warriors / Winners and Sinners / My Lucky Stars - Most of my DVDs are old Hong Kong flicks, and these are some of my favourites; Yuen Biao, Lam Ching Ying, Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung; you can't go wrong really.  I've also got a stack of Shaw Brothers films, such as Boxer from Shantung, Buddha's Palm and The Twelve Gold Medallions - again, all great stuff.

M - Fritz Lang.  As spooky as it gets, with Peter Lorre at his best.  Does anyone remember the comic adaptation of this (Jon J. Muth, IIRC) with free flexi disc?

The Wicker Man Need I say more?

Lord of the Flies  - the Peter Brook version.  A while since I saw it, but it goes on the list.

Man With a Movie Camera - Dziga Vertov.  I have the BFI release of this with the Michael Nyman soundtrack, and it's amazing.  Reminded me of another favourite which is up next...

Koyaanisqatsi - Godrey Reggio; score by Philip Glass.  I know Philip Glass gets some stick for being so environmentally friendly (he recycles so much), but when I first saw this, it blew me away.  Still does.  If you get the chance to see this on a big screen, do!

Withnail and I - having seen this a million billion times since it's release, it's still something I'm happy to sit through at the drop of a hat.

Steve Green

Hmmm hard to be objective when I've seen them so many times.

Anyway in no particular order, and my tastes have changed over the years...

1) The Iron Giant (sniff)

2) Aliens

3) The Usual Suspects

4) Seven

5) Back to the Future

6) Raiders of the Lost Ark

7) Jaws

8) The Thing

9) Die Hard

10) Dirty Harry

And chuck in the Star Wars and LOTR trilogies if you want to kill a few days.

- Steve

dweezil2

I dont see any nunsploitation films there...

OK! How about, Nuns on the run?
;)
Dweezil.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Carlsborg Expert

Star Wars IV
Batman Begins
Big Trouble in Little China
O Brother Where Art Thou
Angel Heart
Mean Streets
Once upon a time in America
The Third Man
Dirty 'effin Harry

Art

SOme bloke did some serious SQL wrangling with the Netflix ratings and came up with some solid lists for "most loved", "most hated" and "most controversial" movies. It;s worth reading the article to see his reasoning, but the top ten are as follows:

The Shawshank Redemption
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The Green Mile  
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers  
Finding Nemo
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Forrest Gump
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring  
The Sixth Sense
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade  

Link: http://www.netflixprize.com/community/viewtopic.php?id=164" target="_blank">It's all about standard deviation...