Main Menu

Comics Britannia

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 06 September, 2007, 04:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wils

It's not as if it's on the top shelf

You'd be surprised, actually. I've seen it a few WHSmiths sandwiched between Viz and Gay Times.

Peter Wolf

The Daily Mirror !!??!!    Lazy Journalism ?   Thats one way of describing the Daily Mirror .There are many others too.They string sentences together but not much else.

The Daily Mirror shouldnt be on any shelf.

I hadnt noticed any swearing myself in 2000ad.

Prog 1553 fully scanned.Definatly no swearing in there.And its not like i dont know my swearing either.

Just what the Hell are the Daily Mirror talking about?

What you need is for the Daily Mirror to be given a  Retards rating.

Rebellion need to have a word with the shelf stackers as well.Luckily my branch stacks the comics next to the other comics.Well done to them.Give them a Banana.If its not there i dont automatically assume it is in the *gay* section.Its not the first place i would look or a place i would ever go exploring .

2000ad has been in the same place in the same section on the same shelf for 3 or 4 weeks now.

Are they finally learning something?

Rant over for now ..................
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

paulvonscott

"Rant over for now .................."

Just in time for the show, Peter!

Buddy

Stuck in work. Will have to catch up online (if possible??)

Peter Wolf

I have the same problem.There are problems with the set top box remote.It wont accept the tv.There is a teccy from virgin calling round thursday so until then no comics Brittania here. I think there are repeats so its not a problem.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Wils

Ump: Here are the times according to my telly book that it's being repeated (up until Friday, anyway). All are on BBC4.

Tonight: 2.50am

Wednesday: 11.30pm & 2.25am

Friday: 11.00pm & 3.20am

paulvonscott

Yeah, I enjoyed that.  Nice to see Gravett, Baxendale, O'Neill and Roach on there.

Dissapointed that they didn't quite put together all of their points to lead to the ultimate conclusion.

That great comics are the work of great individuals, not name brands, marketing and trademarked properties.

And when comics are challenged by other forms of entertainment, if they are just churning out product, and there's no genius in there, they've had it.

Comics treated the people that made them very badly, and they paid the price.  Look at the Beano and Dandy coasting along leaching off the success of fifty-seventy year old strips.  That's not any measure of fitness.

I was really surprised to see how exciting Dennis the Menace (I hate Dennis the Menace) really was when it started.  And just how cynically produced those IPC humour titles of the seventies were.  Though Pat Mills once said the same thing.

Anyway, roll on the next one.

paulvonscott

"When I read about Dandy Xtreme, I feel like Victor Meldrew, sighing while a robot prepares his dinner."  Charlie Brooker

Yeah...

Buttonman

"I hadnt noticed any swearing myself in 2000ad."

There was a shit in this weeks prog, but that may be down to Grandpa.

I quite enjoyed the show, seemed a bit padded for an hour and the current state of play was barely addressed. I never knew that Wizzer & Chips was always one comic, I thought it was like Eagle & Tiger or 2000ad&Tornado. I can rest easy now.

johnnystress

I expect they'll go into the current state of the industry in next week, or maybe the last episode. always end on a low note eh?

Dudley Watkins, Ken Reid and Leo Baxendale were something else. What a workload!

Comic artists these days don't know they're born

judge dreddd

I missed most of it but sure i saw a comic strip that i have read, how freaky, to think, shelves of comics for kids, oh, how times change !

Buddy

Cheers Wils, 11:30 Wednesday sounds about the only time I'll get to see it.

Goosegash

Well, there was plenty of good things about this programme. I think it accurately summed up what was great about the comics I was brought up on, and will hopefully bring some much deserved recognition to some of our unsung comic heroes.

HOWEVER! I think they took a few too many shortcuts in the narrative. It was implied no one that came after Watkins, Law, Reid & Baxendale was any good, which I don't think is true at all. And the dismissal of every IPC comic as a lame corporate knockoff was also slightly unfair(some good material was produced for these comics, such as Reid's "Faceache"). I was also disappointed they pretty much skimmed over the state of humour comics as they are now, especially considering the Dandy's recent ill-advised relaunch.

And they didn't even mention Calamity James! Tsk.

Interesting fact which I'm surprised wasn't mentioned - apparently Dudley D. Watkins literally worked until he dropped. He was found one morning collapsed on his desk, having passed away mid-job. Now that's dedication!

philt

++Look at the Beano and Dandy coasting along leaching off the success of fifty-seventy year old strips. That's not any measure of fitness.++

That could equally apply to 2000ad.

Funt Solo

::"That could equally apply to 2000ad."

Reading TPO just now, I think it certainly did apply to 2000AD in the lamentable McKoonzie/Myllar/Flooscher years.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++