Main Menu

New Poll: Who has been the greatest Mayor of Mega City 1 to date?

Started by 2000AD Online, 25 February, 2008, 10:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rio De Fideldo

Varney the veggie talking dog-vulture created by Robbie Morrison and Colin Wilson in the Relentless storyline 1237-1239.

I believe Dredd hints that he may eat him on his walk back to the Meg if he runs out of rations.

Rio De Fideldo

Just reread Ryan's Revenge Dan Dare Annual 1979 which featured Mayor Amalfi and it really is a curio piece which has Dredd acting out of character.

I'd be interested in hearing what others think of it particularly the last four panels. To begin with I think Kev O'Neill must have decided to do his own thing as regards following the script.

1 Ryan falls into the Mega-Aquarium and is then seen bursting through the wall and diving back into Mega-City Bay.

2 Whilst at the same time Amalfi falls on to a passing Synthi-Fruit truck the weight of said fall buckling the front wheels

3 Back at Justice HQ Chief Judge Goodman checks Dredd's report against what he just told him. Dredd claims that Ryan and Amalfi fell out of the window at the same time (why does he lie?) yet the report filed states that Amalfi hit the ground two minutes later

4 Dredd puts this down to the fact that sooner or later every politician must fac Wind Resistance!

For this to make sense Dredd must have meddled with a lot of the evidence. Surely this can't be Dredd? (Obviously I'm discounting the simple fact its an early Dredd tale written by an unknown who didn't get Dredd because there where still not that many examples of Dredd to get)

I think the explanation for this is relatively easy and can be found in the strip Father Earth. Set in 2101 this states that Mayor Jim Grubb had ruled Mega City 1 for the past eight years. Therefore Ryans Revenge would had to have been set no later than 2093 to make sense. Taking this to the next step perhaps Ryan's Revenge was a tale from as far back as 2079 and featured Rico impersonating Joe. This would explain why he was so hostile to Amalfi and why he watched him fall to his death and why he faked reports etc etc.

And before anyone (anyone?) says a thing the robot "Dredd" is leaning on is Walter but he is still only a servo-droid for the Chief Judge.  

paulvonscott

Congratulashuns all who voted in the pole, its very comforting to know that Mayor Ambrose can count on sutch grate support.

It's understandabble that many would vote for Dave, the public harbers grate affectshun for him, he was qwuite a monkey.

Just be aware you'll have to live with your decishun, or not, as the case Maybe.

Lets start with the D's!

Leigh S

Henry Ford actually had two Daily Star outings:  

The Gibson Drawn "The Cursed Earth" (reprinted in Megs 3.52 and 3.53) and the Mike Collins drawn (and my personal favourite) "Sheriff of Festering Hole", which has never been reprinted.

TordelBack

Taking this to the next step perhaps Ryan's Revenge was a tale from as far back as 2079 and featured Rico impersonating Joe.  

Rio, you think too much.  I like it!

Any chance of a scan?  I've never seen this one.  Complete Casefiles me arse.

dweezil2

"The Cursed Earth" reprint in The Meg I faintly recall reading and enjoying-there was some real gems in those Daily Star Dredds
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

philt

Ignatzmonster

I was weirded out by how shocked I was when I read of his murder. No man over thirty should say outloud, "Oh, don't kill Dave!"

Dark Jimbo

So many annual and special Dredds that I've never read. Can we please have a few case-files stylee volumes for 'em?
@jamesfeistdraws