Main Menu

worst comic purchase

Started by Dandontdare, 10 May, 2008, 11:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Two words: QUADRO GANGhttp://image.bayimg.com/pajonaabj.jpg">

Dark Jimbo

My first ever proper comic purchase (of a graphic novel, anyway) was Frank Miller's Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Not a good idea, considering I knew nothing of any DC characters beyond Batman himself, and hadn't even read the first Dark Knight. I found the whole thing utterly baffling as meaningless character after meaningless character was namedropped for seemingly no particular reason every few pages, and the entire story seemed built around other comics I hadn't read.

Didn't really warm to his art at first, either. And the coluring was atrocious.
@jamesfeistdraws

scutfink

Hah, my first ever proper Graphic Novel purchases were Killing Joke and DKR, back in the day...

And, though my knowledge of the DCU has expanded somewhat in the intervening 20 odd years, I still agree wholeheartedly with your review of DKSA there Jimbo...

chris_askham

The Robin II slipcase edition. Came with every single cover varient. So even though the limited series was only 4 issues long, I ended up with about 16+ pointless comics or thereabouts. And although I remember absolutely nothing about the story now, I'm pretty sure it was shit. Offloaded it soon after buying it. Ah, the 1990's....

starscape

ThryllSeekyr, I was pleasantly surprised by Doomlord myself.  Thought it was great fun.

Camelot 3000.  Now that was AWFUL.  Also, Knights of Pendragon vol.2 - especially when vol.1 (same creative team too!) was one of my favourites to date.

Banners

There was a Lobo box-set which contained a couple of trade paperbacks you could get separately and also the exclusive "The Wisdom of Lobo". The addition of this third title meant the set cost more than simply buying the two other books.

However, rather than the Bisleyfest I was (somewhat naively) hoping for, the 'special' "Wisdom..." title turned out to be a completely blank bunch of pages.

Thanks, DC.

M@

M@

opaque

True Brit sounded good, and if it had followed the same path that Red Son did it would have been.
But it was a piece of crap. Mad odds that the pages I flicked through weren't the crapiest ones!

Bongo Jack

Scott Pilgrim is an appalling comic - like a Simpsons parody of what a hip and happening comic book would be, or at the very least, it's what a mid-life crisis would be like if 13 year-old children could have mid-life crises:  Twentysomething rock star-wannabe Scott Pilgrim courts Amazon (Canada) courier Ramona Flowers, much to the chagrin of his 16 year-old Asian ex-girlfriend Knives Chung and Ramona's seven kung-fu master ex-boyfriends.  There's some fights and stuff, but it really is jaw-droppingly bad stuff - like someone read Strangers in Paradise with one eye on the tv as Dragonball Z was on, and thought SiP needed a bit more kung fu, less chicks, and not so much characterisation and plot.  We even get whole pages of lyrics from Scott's band over panel after panel of girls gazing in wonderment.

Ultimates Vol 3 is quite shocking, too.  I don't know where to begin with this.  You need to read it to know its knuckle-whitening badness, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone, not even the man who wrote it - who's apparantly being given the task of writing every book in the Marvel Ultimate line this summer.  Read Ultimates 3 and you may very well wonder why.
Live forever or die trying

Rio De Fideldo

Scott Pilgrim is being turned into a film by Edgar Wright. Its set to star Michael Cera.

Bongo Jack

They're making it into a fucking film?

They'll just ruin it if they do...
Live forever or die trying

scutfink

The comic? Or the medium of cinema?

Floyd-the-k

Hush,for reasons already mentioned. To be fair, 2000ad had done worse, but never all at the same time. There have been stories worse than Hush, but they've always shared the comic with something better

Radbacker

Ultimates 3 sucks :( sad to hear as the whole Ultimate line was better than the classic line IMHO so now this guys gonna ruin em all :(

still wont be able to help myself and get the Ultimates 3 TPB when it comes out

CU Radbacker

Dandontdare

I've also heard bad things about ultimates 3, but I will also probably buy it as 1 and 2 were so good.

Nostalgia is a killer - a fondly remembered comic can turn out to be crap when bought years later - I can't believe that I actually enjoyed Marvel Secret Wars in the 80's, or that I paid £15 for it recently!
oh, the shame

JimBob

Ladies and Gentlemen, please allow me to introduce the worst comic in the world, those who are weak of stomach may wish to look away now, before my tale of woe. Now the worst wouldn't be some crap you just picked up (I'm looking at you Leifield, it'ld have o be something you looked forward to.
 A year or 2 ago I went travelling and my friendly comicbook guy agreed to keep up on my orders and anything he thought i'ld like (within reason). On that very expensive trip imagine my delight in finding a new mini-series of one of my favourite comics of all time, the mighty Top Ten. Then imagine my suprise in noticeing that none of the awesome talent from the previous run was involved. And then I read it. Never has a great comic been so horrendously trashed so quickly. Truly ABCs very own Ultimates 3.Oh and Albion sucked.
 And anyone dissing Doomlord deserves disitegrtion at Vek's mighty hand.