Main Menu

Flying ants

Started by House of Usher, 19 July, 2010, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Spotted today in Cardiff. The air's quite thick with them out there.

I checked to see when we talked about this before, and it seems it was 6 years ago:
http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,9850.0.html
STRIKE !!!

staticgirl

Yes it appears to be Flying Ant Day. I am sequestered indoors but many of my mates on Twitter have been moaning about them.  :D

Zarjazzer

I for one welcome our new ant overlords and pledge them my fealty.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Radbacker

you guys probably have namby pamby gay little flying ants over there.  In Oz when the flyng ants are out in force a warning goes on the radio to keep all small dogs and cats indoors as they've been known to be carried off by the blighters!

Cu Radbacker

House of Usher

I am interested to see if there are any further occurrences this summer. Ants lose their wings very soon after hatching, and typically only get one day's flight out of them. The fliers from different colonies all emerging at the same time maximizes the chances of mating and brings together the biggest gene pool.

I saw a few that had emerged early and possibly prematurely on Sunday. I'm wondering how many I'll see today, if any at all.
STRIKE !!!

Stuzzle

Oh didn't know it was a national epidemic, thought it was just a random occurrence on my back doorstep. A whole swarm of the winged and non-winged mothertruckers!! Got the ant powder straight all over that posse  ;)
I don't draw so good and I don't know the artists off by heart. I eat more than I probably should and don't yet know the stories from the start. I like films and can't speak Spanish, but DAMMIT I can Twitter

House of Usher

Pouring down, so no flying ants today! That may well be it for the year, at least in south Wales. The ants have sent out their breeders, they've taken wing, mated and returned to the nest or founded new colonies for themselves. There may well be no more where they came from.

One thing I miss seeing is swallows making the most of the feeding opportunity like they did every year when I was growing up in Brighton.
STRIKE !!!

Jared Katooie

No-one likes the ants then?

I was quite moved by their heroic quest to start new colonies the last time I witnessed it.

Admittedly, their quest seemed more noble once I was indoors...

vzzbux

Squadrons of them today. Like the battle of Britain. Spits, Messies , Hurries, the lot.
Powdered the bastards that came from my garden and have a tin full of prisoners which will be interrogated tomorrow.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

IAMTHESYSTEM

We'll have to carry Ant spray guns every time we leave the house. Or flamethrowers.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Jared Katooie

Stuzzle

Tomorrow's Sun headline

"Flying Ant Seduced My Wife"
I don't draw so good and I don't know the artists off by heart. I eat more than I probably should and don't yet know the stories from the start. I like films and can't speak Spanish, but DAMMIT I can Twitter

House of Usher

Necropost! One year on...

I saw a single dead flying ant yesterday, and winged ants swarming out of a drain cover today. So far I've seen hardly any on the wing, and only from that one nest.

Looks like the ants are mating a week later this year than last year, at least in south Wales.

Anyone else seen breeder ants flying yet this year?
STRIKE !!!

JOE SOAP

I encountered swarms of them 2 weeks ago in Dublin. Cycling home they kept flyin' at me, I happened to look down and a queen was on my sleeve. Vile creatures and such bad flyers.