Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

After reading up on some of the extended cuts I am less certain it is the version I saw and I probably did see the theatrical version.  The second half probably seemed longer because I would have inevitably got more and more tired at that point.

Also it seems like a less exciting prospect from what I've read.  It is certainly a curiosity, like Apocalypse Now Redux even if it might end up being a disappointment.  I'll try and remember it for the future.

I was going to watch Enemy Mine tonight, but it's too fresh in my mind that I don't feel up to it.  Nevertheless it is worth mentioning that that's a great film too and another late night in bed memory for me (before I hit my adult years, this was how I saw some of the best films I had seen up to that point).

pictsy

You take Neon Evangelion, tenderise it and add a couple of kilos of melted cheese and you will have end up with

Pacific Rim

Finally watched it and it was OK.  Not Del Toro's best film by a long way, but it was OK.  I stopped giving it my undivided attention about a quarter of the way through and started doing sketches (I got a new mechanical pencil I wanted to try out!) and it was good to have on in the background.  Infact, I still managed to follow the story easily and know what was going on.  I have no idea if that's a positive.  It was entertaining as background noise.

Theblazeuk

Yeah I think that's how it must be on the small screen. On the big screen it was BOOM BOOM RAAAAAAAR yes! STOMP CRASH SMASH wooo! BANG

pictsy

lol

There was plenty of that (especially towards the end when the lady became noticeably quieter as the guy shouted and grunted).  I sometimes had the feeling that I should look up from my sketch pad and appreciate the (no doubt) very expensive effects.

Recrewt

Just going back to the discussion about Dune.

I do quite like the movie but it is dark and moody isn't it?  Everyone seems to be dirty, covered in boils or sweaty.  The whole colour pallette is murky, even on the desert planet, and this all contributes to the general 'unpleasantness' of the movie.  Then we have Mr Lynch's special additions, such as the bald cat that needs milking for anti-poison, really - wtf?

Beyond that, the movie does try to fit a lot in and it's easy for the viewer to miss things and get confused.  Also, some of the special effects are poor - yeah we're not going to get fancy cgi with a film of this age but still some of them were not up to the standards of the time.

So, its not surprising that many people came away without fondness for it.  I have never read the books but I'm not sure that Dune sounds like something that would be well converted into a movie(s) - it is often compared to something like Lord of the Rings but lets be honest - the LOTR movies had mainstream success not because of the complex world, variety of creatures and interesting exchanges between them but because it had big trolls, wizards, dragons and gollum.   

pictsy

Dune is an amazingly flawed film.

A treat for the eyes, though.

von Boom

I consider the Dune film to be Dune adjacent. It's not really Dune, but they are trying.

I never had any problems with the effects, it was the alterations to the story that were too jarring for me. One thing it did get right was the overall atmosphere of the book. It has that in spades.

Dune is a wonderful, glorious mess of a film, but I still manage to enjoy it.

Hawkmumbler

Dune is one of those books that just shouldn't be addapted. Like The Island of Doctor Moreau it just doesn't transcribe to the screen very well, instead being adapted into a number of different variations of varieng accuracy all decent in their own right.

Theblazeuk

I thought the 2-part adaptation that I watched on the SciFi channel way back when was good enough.

Ghost MacRoth

Trance

Danny Boyle is usually a good bet for an enjoyable film, and again, he does provide.  Great performances, stylishly shot, nice pace and all that.....but something was lacking I thought.  Not sure what....but not one of his best films.  Still better than 'sunshine' though!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

JamesC

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 05 December, 2013, 05:08:50 PM
Trance

..but something was lacking I thought.

Rosario Dawson's knickers from what I heard.

Ghost MacRoth

Yep, and her pubes too.....
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Ancient Otter

Quote from: strongm on 03 December, 2013, 12:14:23 PM
Last film I watched was "2 Guns" .
A DEA agent and a naval intelligence officer find themselves on the run after a botched attempt to infiltrate a drug cartel. While fleeing, they learn the secret of their shaky alliance: Neither knew that the other was an undercover agent.

I saw this too, it's alright. Was fond of the comic when it came out.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: pictsy on 03 December, 2013, 06:08:45 PM
Dune

Why do I enjoy Dune?  I think it's the set designs and costumes.  They are very lush.  There is a certain amount of nostalgia.  I watched this tucked up in bed when I was a lot younger than my current youthful self and I thoroughly enjoyed it mainly because I had not seen quite it's like before.  It also got me interested in reading the book, which is a great read.  I can see problems with the film and the second half doesn't incorporate nearly enough from the book for a satisfactory adaptation.  I don't know the background in the production but the film clearly needs a longer run time (which isn't something often said about a film).  I do enjoy watching it, though.

What is the soundtrack like, it was composed by Toto, right?

pictsy

Soundtrack is OK.  Orchestras and electric guitars and Brian Eno providing a track.