Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I watched Infinity War and Endgame back-to-back and it's not clear why the second one would be regarded as so woeful compared to the first.

They were both enjoyable on about the same level for me.

No love for the money-scene?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 07 September, 2021, 10:22:56 PM

The first is better constructed, IMO. The second is all about pay-offs. If you're not invested, I can kind of see why it would fall a bit flat, but the pay-offs are impeccably set up and, for the most part, solidly earned.

I enjoyed Endgame more on a second viewing, TBH, because on the first I'd spent a year constructing how I thought the movie would play out and was kind of disappointed that it wasn't the film I'd had in my head. On the second viewing, I was able to take it on its own terms, and it delivered perfectly well.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pictsy

I watched Infinity War and Endgame back-to-back and it's not clear why the second one would be regarded as so woeful compared to the first.

I agree, I don't see why this would be the case.  I hate them both equally, but for different reasons.  Although I've never rated the franchise at being particularly remarkable to begin with.

Tiplodocus

THE IRON GIANT is pretty much class from beginning to end.

The early days CGI works a treat but the true brilliance is surely in the compact storytelling. Barely a frame wasted... there's nothing in the seconfd half that isn't set up in the first half.

Plus the four key human characters all get a bit of time to breathe and bring the character of the Iron Giant out as much as the animation. Vin Diesel put more effort into his performance here than the last three FAST AND FURIOUS movies put together.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

milstar

The King of Comedy

I was surprised to see how much of it went into Joker (I haven't seen the 1982's film in a very while). I find DeNiro miscast and unsymphatetic, but he really played his part like a true performer. I find the movie funny here and there, but the generally theme of celebrity obsession is something that didn't appeal to me much. And unfortunately, like every movie that deals with such folly matters, it fails to do a detailed psychological vivisection of what pushes regular people to go crazy weirdos.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

von Boom

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 07 September, 2021, 11:46:17 PM
THE IRON GIANT is pretty much class from beginning to end.

The early days CGI works a treat but the true brilliance is surely in the compact storytelling. Barely a frame wasted... there's nothing in the seconfd half that isn't set up in the first half.

Plus the four key human characters all get a bit of time to breathe and bring the character of the Iron Giant out as much as the animation. Vin Diesel put more effort into his performance here than the last three FAST AND FURIOUS movies put together.
I defy anyone to watch The Iron Giant and not tear up. Easily in my top three animated films of all time.

Hawkmumbler

I mean, I think its awful in MANY capacities beyond its comparisons to Infinity War (a thoroughly mediocre is enjoyable experience) due to just how thuddingly, blindingly, dreary and tiresome it is as a piece of "art"* unto itself.

*I use this term with the loosest of meanings when it comes to the house of mouse.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I'm starting to suspect ol' Hawks doesn't like them Marvel films.
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Mister Pops on 08 September, 2021, 03:01:56 PM
I'm starting to suspect ol' Hawks doesn't like them Marvel films.

I might have mentioned it a few times....

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 September, 2021, 02:53:12 PM

I mean, I think its awful in MANY capacities beyond its comparisons to Infinity War (a thoroughly mediocre is enjoyable experience) due to just how thuddingly, blindingly, dreary and tiresome it is as a piece of "art"* unto itself.

*I use this term with the loosest of meanings when it comes to the house of mouse.

I know i often use things like "More like AVENGERS: SHITGAME" as shorthand myself but these are pretty broad brush strokes. Any chance of an example of "dreary" or "tiresome"?

I mean I certainly think some of the set pieces could be trimmed for time especially if there are beats in there for characters I'm not particularly engaged with but "dreary" and "tiresome" I just don't get. Genuinely curious.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

repoman

No love for the money-scene?

I'm not a huge fan of superhero movies but I liked Infinity War and I thought the ending was pretty bold.  You could have left it there.

Endgame was too long, was trying to do too much, had too much Jeremy Renner in it.  It was just full on CGI for large parts too.  That battle was like watching a video game cutscene.  And it just felt like five hours long. 

I can forgive so much in films but I can't forgive films that bore me.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 September, 2021, 03:11:33 PM

I remain baffled as to why you keep watching them. Surely, at some point in the 25+ movie franchise you must have thought: these aren't for me...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

MCU Roulette ... just one more try ... nobody has luck this bad ...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 September, 2021, 05:39:30 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 September, 2021, 02:53:12 PM

I know i often use things like "More like AVENGERS: SHITGAME" as shorthand myself but these are pretty broad brush strokes. Any chance of an example of "dreary" or "tiresome"?

I mean I certainly think some of the set pieces could be trimmed for time especially if there are beats in there for characters I'm not particularly engaged with but "dreary" and "tiresome" I just don't get. Genuinely curious.

I can see what he means. There is an element of spectacle for spectacle's sake, and at the cost of the plot being driven forward.

BUT these are comic book adaptions. The action is therefore intrinsic to them, and I don't feel they should be criticised for it any more than you could criticise a western for having shots of a cowboy on a horse. You know what you are getting into when you sit down to watch one.

I may not be articulating that properly. It's kinda like saying a steak is too beefy. It is what it is. Don't chow down and expect something else, and definitely don't if you are a vegetarian.

I do feel, as I have said, that these movies are guilty pleasures and like a fish supper - tasty but with instant regret and a sickly feeling.

For me, I admire the technical skill in showing a photo-realistic representation of what comics and my imagination have thrown up for decades. But I also have a slightly guilty feeling that the Marvel movies cost so much, and say so little.

So, yes, I can see how they may be tiresome and dreary. They are noise and fury with nothing to say, and that can be wearing. Like watching fireworks for six hours. It's fun at the start, but soon the booms, bangs and fancy lights are... dull.
Lock up your spoons!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Funt Solo on 08 September, 2021, 07:23:57 PM
MCU Roulette ... just one more try ... nobody has luck this bad ...

'Peels off the Iron Man labels from the generic action doll, replaces it with a Dr. Strange label.'

Disney: Hey kids watch our new content.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 September, 2021, 06:47:48 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 September, 2021, 03:11:33 PM

I remain baffled as to why you keep watching them. Surely, at some point in the 25+ movie franchise you must have thought: these aren't for me...?

Alas its part of my job to know the deal with these fricking things.

I take no joy in this, I would switch places with any of the saints in their moments of agony any time.