Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheechFU

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa  :o

Theblazeuk

QuoteEquilibrium

A film with a long list of flaws.  It's watchable and entertaining to a degree.

Gun-karate is silly/awesome though. And really that's more what the movie ends up being about, at least in my memory.

pictsy

It was certainly well choreographed for a small production. 

John Carter

The trailer really made me disinterested in this film, but it's no where near as what the trailer makes it appear to be.  It was entertaining but predictable and obvious.  Still, I can live with the latter because of the former.  I do wonder how many liberties the film makers took in regards to the source material.

Recrewt

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 02 December, 2013, 10:52:07 AM
QuoteEquilibrium

A film with a long list of flaws.  It's watchable and entertaining to a degree.

Gun-karate is silly/awesome though. And really that's more what the movie ends up being about, at least in my memory.

I've got a lot of time for Equilibrium.  Yeah, it's not terribly original and is a mish-mash of other movies but it is executed well.  I think it comes down to whether you can get past the gun-fu idea.  Some folks I know just thought that was lame and got hung up on it.  If you can get past that then there are some great action scenes.

Theblazeuk

Oh it's totally worth getting with, however daft it is.

pictsy

I wasn't actually too bothered by the gun martial arts thing.  I can easily get passed it.  It's still a mess of a film if you do.  An entertaining mess.  Plus it's got Sean Bean.

strongm

Last film I watched was "2 Guns" .
A DEA agent and a naval intelligence officer find themselves on the run after a botched attempt to infiltrate a drug cartel. While fleeing, they learn the secret of their shaky alliance: Neither knew that the other was an undercover agent.

pictsy

Dune

Why do I enjoy Dune?  I think it's the set designs and costumes.  They are very lush.  There is a certain amount of nostalgia.  I watched this tucked up in bed when I was a lot younger than my current youthful self and I thoroughly enjoyed it mainly because I had not seen quite it's like before.  It also got me interested in reading the book, which is a great read.  I can see problems with the film and the second half doesn't incorporate nearly enough from the book for a satisfactory adaptation.  I don't know the background in the production but the film clearly needs a longer run time (which isn't something often said about a film).  I do enjoy watching it, though.

von Boom

I am 100% with you pictsy. I do enjoy Dune for all the reason you state and more. I even watch the Smithee version so I can get all the extra footage I can.

Yeah, the film isn't close enough to the books for purists like me (which is odd since Frank Herbert supposedly oversaw the script and filming), but it's still a grand film with some spectacular visuals.

The first time I saw it in the cinema I was reading the book and listening to To Tame a Land from Iron Maiden on my Wallkman (the two lls are intentional) as I sat in auditorium waiting for the film to start.

pictsy

There are different versions?  I did not know this (although it doesn't surprise me).  I have the Lynch version, how much more is in the Smithee version?

The bit that does surprise is that the version Lynch puts his name to cuts away footage given what I said about a longer running time.

von Boom

The Smithee version is 182 minutes, 52 minutes longer than the Lynch theatrical release.

£11.87 at amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dune-Blu-ray-Region-Free-US/dp/B00371QQ0M/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1386099066&sr=1-2&keywords=dune+extended+edition

Lynch felt the extended edition as a step too far and didn't want his name associated with it so it's the Alan Smithee version.

I, Cosh

Isn't the original,  unseen cut about five hours or something?
We never really die.

von Boom

There is no 6 hour version. Lynch filmed 5 hours with the intention of the film being 3+ hours, but the release was only 2 hours 17.

Pretty hard to do Dune justice in that amount of time.

I'd like to see Dune done like Lord of the Rings with a film for each book.

pictsy

52 more minutes!  That is certainly worth a watch.  I might see if I can get my hands on a copy for the weekend perhaps (although watching Dune, even a different cut, in close succession might be a bit much).

When was it released.  I've read it's a television cut and I'm wondering if it's one I saw as a teenager.  I have always thought it seems shorter but have always put that down to watching it late at night in bed (which could still be a perfectly reasonable explanation).

von Boom

There was a television version that was 176 minutes long that was also credited to Smithee, so that might be the one you saw. The DVD Smithee version was released in 2006 and as far as I know was never aired on television.