Main Menu

Apple to 'Cintiq' iPad?

Started by Kerrin, 06 February, 2011, 09:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrin

This via Dave Gibbons on twitter. Apple have taken out a patent for a stylus to turn the iPad into a Wacom challenger.

Fastcompany.com Link

pauljholden

YES PLEASE

(Also: Damn you apple!)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Kerrin on 06 February, 2011, 09:42:16 AM
This via Dave Gibbons on twitter. Apple have taken out a patent for a stylus to turn the iPad into a Wacom challenger.

I've thought that this was a relatively easy and technically obvious step although I hadn't realized that Apple would need to increase the number of capacative sensors to quite such a degree.

Instant sale for me, if they do this.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pauljholden

I suspect we're looking at a couple of revisions down the line (if it ever comes to pass)

As an aside, now that I've had an iPhone 4 for a little while I find ALL my computer screens (monitor/ipad/laptops) to look horrible and a bit smushy. I don't think I'd ever want to buy anything that isn't 'retina' resolution again. Which means no new hardware for me for some time anyways...

-pj

Pete Wells

Yup, it'd be a definite buy for me too.

Talking of Cintiqs, my beloved A3 Cintiq from my previous job is now simply being used as part of a dual monitor setup by my ex-boss. It's criminal!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Pete Wells on 06 February, 2011, 10:43:07 AM
It's criminal!

Particularly since you haven't been able to get a 21" Cintiq for love or money since the middle of last year...

Cheers

Jim

Kerrin

Quote from: pauljholden on 06 February, 2011, 10:35:30 AMAs an aside, now that I've had an iPhone 4 for a little while I find ALL my computer screens (monitor/ipad/laptops) to look horrible and a bit smushy. I don't think I'd ever want to buy anything that isn't 'retina' resolution again. Which means no new hardware for me for some time anyways...

Amen to that PJ. Had my iPhone 4 for a week now and I'm gobsmacked by the screen quality. 

If they do make this 'Cintiq-ish iPad (iPad 3 or 4 I guess), then yeah, I'll buy one straight away.

staticgirl

*DROOL*

Of course I'd never be able to afford one but it would make the other companies look into it too...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Kerrin on 06 February, 2011, 11:27:52 AM
Amen to that PJ. Had my iPhone 4 for a week now and I'm gobsmacked by the screen quality. 

It's odd -- I upgraded to the iPhone 4 mainly because my contract on the 3G was up and I fancied the multitasking (specifically so I could listen to internet radio and do something else at the same time), but it turns out the two things that have really struck me were the things I didn't really care about beforehand: the quality of the retina display, which is outstanding, and the quality of the camera, which is far better than the simple 5MP measure would lead you to believe.

Cheers!

Jim

pauljholden

God yeah, the camera is ace - I've been able to film time lapse HD (HD!) on my Phone, edit it together on iMovie (on MY PHONE! MY PHONE FOR CRISSAKES!) and upload to youtube. ON MY PHONE!

Unless I drop this phone in the toilet while peeing, I don't see how I'll ever need another phone...

-pj

Mardroid

Quote from: pauljholden on 06 February, 2011, 11:33:41 PM
Unless I drop this phone in the toilet while peeing, I don't see how I'll ever need another phone...

Heh. I've actually done that. (Well technically afterwards leaning over toilet. Note, don't put phone in breast pocket.)

I took it apart, gave it a wipe and left it to dry... and it worked fine! Not that I'd recommend doing that. Especially with an Iphone (way out of my price range!) I had a fiddle with my friends Ipod Touch though, and I loved the sensitivity. (Maybe I should have rephrased that.)

pauljholden

I said:

I should have said

Unless I drop this phone in the toilet while peeing (AGAIN), I don't see how I'll ever need another phone...

-pj

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 February, 2011, 11:18:28 PMand the quality of the camera, which is far better than the simple 5MP measure would lead you to believe.
As you're aware, MP figures aren't that meaningful unless you've got a good lens, and the iPhone 4 has a very good lens. I'm looking forward to the iPhone 5, so my 3GS can hit eBay.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Kerrin on 06 February, 2011, 11:27:52 AM
Had my iPhone 4 for a week now and I'm gobsmacked by the screen quality. 

Likewise. I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. Felt kind of guilty due to the expense but as (good) luck would have it, I have quite a bit of work heading my way this month so really glad I got it.

We have crap everything reception here but since I figured out how WIFI connection am loving it. Facetime is really great. My brother gave me a guided tour of where he is living. Would've made a great Apple advert.

I played with an iPad last week as TBH I was quite disappointed with the quality of the screen on the homepage.