Main Menu

london super comic convention

Started by chaingunchimp, 31 August, 2011, 11:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willthemightyW

Just got back- I loved it, best con I've been to, granted I've only been to 2 MCM's and Kapow, but this topped them all. Agree with Steve, I thought the venue was nicer at Kapow, but overall I much preferred this, and it helped that the staff weren't complete knobs, which, for the most part, they were at Kapow. I spent most of the day over with the guys from Comic Geek Speak, and appeared on their show! Woop woop, as they say!
Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Steve Green

I never really had any dealings with the staff at Kapow, but the staff at SCC were great.

I do wonder if they would be better off combining the MCM Expo with SCC. I guess it makes sense financially for them to potentially get people going to both, but it would be a lot more impressive to have something like MCM but with a much expanded comics section. (And shift it away from the same time as Cardiff)

I'd much prefer the o2 as a venue, or at least somewhere where the panel rooms aren't just a sectioned-off bit of a large warehouse.

I've not been to that many cons either, Bristol, BICS, Kapow, MCM and now SCC. I missed BICS even though it wasn't that big, it had a nice atmosphere.

matty_ae

I had a great weekend and got a nice Greg Staples Anderson sketch.

They organised the Stan Lee mass signings better than any other con I've seen which made me forgive them for taking 45 mins to get in originally.

Some small 2000ad snippets:

Edmund Bagwell has a Cadet Anderson cover coming up
Jock's storyboards were quite loose for them film so he's drawing the movie adaptation from scratch - whilst very tight-lipped you can tell he wants this to be a huge success
Nikolai Dante is over but another story from the Universe might be possible - great if it keep Simon Fraser in the comic

It was a con to get loads of signatures but a single 'name' sketch at most. Wonder how they'll top Stan Lee!?

Eamonn Clarke

Spoke to one of the organisers who said that all the panels were filmed and they hoped to post them on http://www.londonsupercomicconvention.com/ at some point.

I recorded the 2000AD panel but haven't listened to it yet. I suspect the thumping Zumba music may have drowned it all out!

Eamonn Clarke

And met Will the mighty and we had a geek-out comparing our signed Progs.

willthemightyW

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 26 February, 2012, 09:21:32 PM
And met Will the mighty and we had a geek-out comparing our signed Progs.
Twas great meeting you, and we both appear on CGS at the same time! Consider the Murd truly muddled!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

maryanddavid

QuoteEdmund Bagwell has a Cadet Anderson cover coming up
Jock's storyboards were quite loose for them film so he's drawing the movie adaptation from scratch - whilst very tight-lipped you can tell he wants this to be a huge success
Nikolai Dante is over but another story from the Universe might be possible - great if it keep Simon Fraser in the comic

Nice one Matt, any idea who is writing the adaptation?

Large48

Are we allowed to talk about the next Dante 'story'?
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

matty_ae

Sorry I forgot to ask Jock who was writing it.

Here's the sketch from Greg

Molch-R

Quote from: matty_ae on 26 February, 2012, 08:54:34 PM

I believe you misheard what Jock said. There isn't going to be a comic book adaptation of the film.

strontium71

Is that plausible deniability or genuinely the truth. Because that would be quite sad if that's the case. At least an adaptation in the prog maybe?
...because I hate you.

COMMANDO FORCES

In fact he said that very thing at last years KAPOW!

Molch-R

Quote from: strontium71 on 27 February, 2012, 11:42:09 AM
Is that plausible deniability or genuinely the truth. Because that would be quite sad if that's the case. At least an adaptation in the prog maybe?

I'm saying there's not going to be an comic book adaptation of the movie, in any form.

TordelBack

This does seem a l-e-e-e-tle odd, but thank Grud for it.  Even allowing for the towering genius of Jock, comic book adaptations of actual movies are always crap - I can think of no exceptions.  They made sense in the days before home video, and they can be an interesting insight into the embryonic stage of a movie (often being based on screenplays and concept art/stills), and obviously the art can be beautiful in its own right, but as comics they fall completely foul of that 'medium translation' problem.  A 96 minute film does not comfortably fit into 96 comic pages.