Main Menu

Xbox Live Dashboard Update 2011

Started by JamesC, 02 November, 2011, 01:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Anyone heard about this?

Apparently, later this month, there'll be a massive update to the Xbox 360 dashboard giving us access to Youtube, iPlayer, 4OD and Lovefilm!

I'm quite excited about the prospect of the Lovefilm service. Does anyone have this on their PS3? Looking at their website it looks as though for £5.99 a month you can stream as many films as you like. Sounds a bit too good to be true.

Goaty

Quote from: JamesC on 02 November, 2011, 01:22:37 PM
Anyone heard about this?

Apparently, later this month, there'll be a massive update to the Xbox 360 dashboard giving us access to Youtube, iPlayer, 4OD and Lovefilm!

I'm quite excited about the prospect of the Lovefilm service. Does anyone have this on their PS3? Looking at their website it looks as though for £5.99 a month you can stream as many films as you like. Sounds a bit too good to be true.

Yes we got it on our PS3s :-) also ITV Player, and C4 Player...

radiator

QuoteI'm quite excited about the prospect of the Lovefilm service. Does anyone have this on their PS3? Looking at their website it looks as though for £5.99 a month you can stream as many films as you like. Sounds a bit too good to be true.

I joined Lovefilm on the PS3 when they did a free trial, and to be frank the selection of films on offer for the streaming service (not interested in postal DVDs - too much hassle) is beyond shit - lots and lots of obscure straight-to-DVD movies and a tiny handful of films you've actually heard of. Nothing recent either - all the films on there were 2+ years old. I naively thought it would be a huge catalogue like Netflix in the states, but no.

The quality of the streaming is pretty damn shoddy too - I guess it has to be at present to stop it buffering every 30 seconds.

I called them to cancel, and had to be very firm as they kept trying to convince me to stay with the service - felt like I was prising my card details out of their clammy hands, and had to ask them to cancel at least three times. The guy on the phone said the service would be improving incrementally - and I don't doubt that it will - but it's not a service I'd pay for until it's a damn sight better.

JamesC

That's a shame - thought it seemed too good to be true!

I actually just checked the titles available for streaming via a PC. There's quite a bit on there but some say 'Free with a subscription of £5.99 or more' and some have a price attached.
The funny thing is that it seems totally arbitrary as to what ones cost and which are included in subscription. It's not a case of new releases having a premium added.

Youtube should be good though.

radiator

The list of available films seems a little better than when I joined, but if you browse by genre, while it initially seems to be a fairly good selection, a couple of pages in you start to get to the chaff, and there is a lot of chaff.

Here's the classics listed on page 7 of the Action/Adventure selection: The Formorian (2009), Rampage (2009), Attack on Leningrad (2007), Twin Dragons (1992), Brotherhood (2004), Battle of Wits (2006), Trinity is Still My Name (1971), Passchendaele (2008), September Dawn (2006), Best of the Best 3 - No Turning Back (1995).

A similar thing afflicts the Playstation Movie Store - you can't move for shitty straight-to-DVD titles - so much so that it's kind of off-putting and makes it a pain to navigate as 80% of what's on offer is useless toss.

mogzilla

i got a letter inviting me to have 30 days free trial to love film and i would get a £20 amazon voucher !