Main Menu

Facebook timeline for characters...

Started by Steve Green, 21 December, 2011, 12:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Facebook have been rolling out timelines for users... thought it might be fun to do one for a fictional character...

A lot of work obviously, for whoever wanted to do it, but it might be an interesting way of showing a history of Dredd for example, tagged panels from strips replacing photos etc.

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Steve Green

The upside is that it's easily shareable, the login could be given to anyone who wanted to edit it - and also it's quite nice that it's done under the umbrella of a social media site.

The downside is that it's hosted by FB, and subject to their whims of mucking around with the layout.

I guess it's whether anyone has the time or inclination to convert a timeline into status updates, panels into photos etc. It's a bit of a monstrous task.

John Caliber

I'm presuming the most accurate timeline currently comes from Book 1 of the Mega-City Archives by Mongoose Publishing? I'm only going off distant memory, mind you.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

James Stacey

would be the only thing accurate in those books :D

Emperor

Yeah I think you'd want to start closer to the comics and then doublecheck against the Mongoose Publishing timeline as it is always possible they'd tinkered with things to better fit whatever they've done (or not, but it could lead people astray for any numbers of reasons).

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 December, 2011, 09:34:50 PM
The upside is that it's easily shareable, the login could be given to anyone who wanted to edit it - and also it's quite nice that it's done under the umbrella of a social media site.

The downside is that it's hosted by FB, and subject to their whims of mucking around with the layout.

I guess it's whether anyone has the time or inclination to convert a timeline into status updates, panels into photos etc. It's a bit of a monstrous task.

Or do it through Google documents (perhaps initially as a spreadsheet) as that is set-up to allow you to share the editing. As I mentioned above, the 2000AD wiki would seem the ideal home for this and it is still in the pipeline, something simple like Google documents might be a hand stop-gap measure until then, it'd allow you to hammer in the rough data and get an outline, for example.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+