Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

As it goes I've just read 28 and on the whole it was great BUT it did feel like it wrapped up the whole Jonah in the present stuff really quickly. Which much to my suprise given how I felt about the whole thing going in was really disappointing. Makes sense now to get him back and wrap things up in the old west as it should be.

Mind 102 issues of an ongoing western in the current market, all by the same writing team. That ain't bad by any estimations. Or to put it another way.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Or not the rumours are being denied now, so you can ignore me, as I should ignore Bleeding Cool!

Colin YNWA

Anyway now I've stopped winding myself up over the rumoured cancellation of one of my favourite books I got my haul early this week. As I said Jonah Hex 28 was fun but wrapped up the 'future' storyline a little abruptly for my tastes. The Massive 20, normally another favourite felt as though it was peddling this month and Animal Man 28 was an all action issue ending the story setting up next months finale. All of them a little off their normally wonderful form (well Animal Man hasn't been so great of late).

Three 5 however ended things very well, City of Courts continues to be fun and Wonder Woman 28 was on fine form as was Sex 11. Nothing alas blew me way this time out. Still nothing worried me too much either.

Mardroid

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 27 February, 2014, 09:49:47 PM
Sorry tangent here but best place for this.

THEY'RE CANCELLING JONAH HEX

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Really? 1/3 of my DC 52 comic pulls... Sigh.
As for new Comics, I recently picked up Revolutionary War: Super Soldiers. As I didn't have any cash and they require you to spend more than £5.00 to take your credit card at my local Comic shop I picked up Sandman Overture #1 and the new Fantastic 4 #1. I wasn't that keen on F4 but the comic book guy recommended it and he said he usually dislikes them too. (I don't hate Fantastic 4 (I quite like the character of The Thing in fact) I just don't find the family dynamic stuff that appealing.

Anyway, I've yet to read them. More feedback when I do.

Hawkmumbler

Wowowowow Vinland Saga volume two is out? Ordered!

Colin YNWA

Oh and it turned out the Jonah Hex being cancelled thing was wrong Jimmy Palmiotti went to various site running the story and corrected it.

So - phew - panic over.

Mardroid

Having read the three comics I mentioned above:

Revolutionary War: Supersoldiers - Like the previous outings, kinda silly and lightweight but fun.

Fantastic 4 #1 : The introduction suggests that things are going to a dark place which is no bad thing. The main stuff was again lightweight fun 'team take down a big monster' stuff, which is also no bad thing. Pretty good so far.

The Sandman: Overture - Ho ho yes. The best of the three, but being a rather different creature to the others probably unfair to compare. I plan to pick up the other Sandman trades at some point*, so should I trade-wait this? Economically speaking, yes I should. Then again, economically speaking I probably should do this for all the non-anthology titles I pick up. There is a certain fun in picking em up periodically but this is a rather expensive comic, a dollar** (so I guess that's around 60 pence) more than the others. But can I wait...

* I've read a few, borrowed from the Library. Despite being among my favourite comics of all time, I never got round to buying them though.
**As US imports the price I see in the comic shop is in dollars.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mardroid on 02 March, 2014, 03:15:19 PMRevolutionary War: Supersoldiers - Like the previous outings, kinda silly and lightweight but fun.

I was disappointed in this, as it seemed to miss the point of the original*, and also made the same mistakes as the Knights of Pendragon one-off in creating an equivalence between jingoism and patriotism while still throwing the old characters under a bus - but there is at least specific referencing to how the Marvel UK stuff happened in the 1990s, which deliberately ages the characters involved by decades rather than the usual "Marvel time" guff that keeps Marvel's US characters eternal adolescents.  That's a nice touch.

*  To be fair, though, the original was a protracted and shameless steal from the then-recent but not-entirely-groundbreaking Universal Soldier movie.

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 03/05/14

2000AD 1871 - New JUDGE DREDD story looks to be a solid short series. STRONTIUM DOG ended last week on a bit of a punch-out ending. Felt a bit unsatisfying really. GREY AREA is generally okay, but I kind of wish Abnett was giving us more SINISTER-DEXTER instead. Next couple of weeks seem to be mostly short run strips until a new jumping on Prog.
INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE 11 - Its kind of neat how Hester and Nauck have managed to make a footnote team like The Lizard League seem dangerous over the last number of months.
MEGA MAN 34 - This actually came out digital two weeks ago. This issue debuts the MEGA MAN X back-up, which does a good job recapping the opening story of Mega Man X. Something seems a bit off with the artwork though, like the line weight is too thin. Makes the characters merge in with the backgrounds, and generally dull looking.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 14 - I said it last week, but the WSJ line-up is absurdly strong right now. Even with ONE-PUNCH MAN on an off week, I can't wait to dig in. Also, WORLD TRIGGER has defied the odds and lasted a whole year! Looks like it'll be around for a while (in comparison Cross Manage only lasted 34 weeks before cancellation).

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

A trio for me this week:

Moon Knight 1 (Not overly familiar with the character, but Warren Ellis is always worth a shot. Plus, only €2 in my LCS. If I like it I'm gonna pick up the 1st trade).
Rogue Trooper 1 (New series from IDW, discussed at length on the forum already. If it's good I'll keep reading. Can't be fairer than that).
Afterlife with Archie 4 (So, so good. I can't get over how taken I am with this comic. Francavilla is such a atmospheric artist. Would love to see him do something for Tharg, even a cover).

Hawkmumbler

Still loving All You Need is Kill. I've not read the short novel so this has all been new to me. Obata is quite the talent.

Loving how over the top the current stories in One Piece and Toriko are, even by their standards.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 March, 2014, 10:21:12 PM
Francavilla is such a atmospheric artist. Would love to see him do something for Tharg, even a cover).

And how his covers are blooming wonderful. Given how in demand he seems doesn't seem likely but would be just great!

Mardroid

Ok, I recently finished threeI've yegue of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Gentlemen collections.  While I enjoyed them I ultimately didn't think them very good. I thought the resolution to the last one rather poor although that  might be partly due to not getting the reference.

I also read Nimo: Heart of Ice and while I can understand why people preferred it due to getting back to high adventure, etc. it didn't do a  whole lot for me, although I saw how it worked as a character arc story piece. I guess I felt the need of more plot twists.It was still an okay read though and I'm still looking forward to Roses of Berlin.

On the other hand, I recently finished the last two comics in Dept of Monsterology, and that was very good. Roll on series 2.

I just downloaded issues 6-9 of American Vampire, which I've yet to read (I enjoyed the first arc which I bought as paperback collection and as Comixology are selling the issues for 69 pence each that seems a good deal). I also saw Savage She Hulk going really cheap in The Works, and while I'm unacquainted with the character or the 'Savage' concept at that price I thought I'd give it a go.

Mardroid

Sorry. I  keep spelling 'Nemo' the wrong. And I probably should have spoiler tagged some of that post. Again, sorry.