Main Menu

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

Started by radiator, 02 August, 2012, 10:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dracula1

Sounds serious, . . . I hope it doesn't tarnish the release of the movie.

COMMANDO FORCES

Goaty

Total Film and Empire give it 4 stars each.

Dandontdare

saw this yesterday and thought it was excellent. I really didn't like the 'look' they've given quicksilver when I saw the publicity photos, but he's the best thing in it - the scene in which he [spoiler]nonchalantly strolls around moving bullets and positioning guards to punch themselves is great.[/spoiler]

There's also a post-credits teaser in which [spoiler]loads of egyptians watch a pyramid being created by telekenisis by a blue skinned guy as they all chant "En Sabah Nur" - Looks like the Age of Apocalypse is coming![/spoiler]

The Enigmatic Dr X

Um...

A sequel is confirmed. And they've said it's [spoiler]Age of Apocalypse[/spoiler]
Lock up your spoons!

Professor Bear

I'll take a pass on this, but I do wonder where Singer got the inspiration to do a film about someone trying to wipe their mistakes from history.

Radbacker

Once again only saw this as a Thai dub, bit more talky than Godzilla so understood even less but it looked good, will definately watch again when i get back to oz.

cU Radbacker

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 May, 2014, 09:34:26 PM
I'll take a pass on this, but I do wonder where Singer got the inspiration to do a film about someone trying to wipe their mistakes from history

The X-Men series is about an older gentleman who invites teenage runaways, whose bodies are changing in new and exciting ways, back to his palatial home, where he teaches them how to make use of their new talents. There, he offers them drugs and equipment which enhance the experience, make them forget the pain in their past, and stop them blowing their wad all at once. Singer just seems to understand the appeal of this premise in a way other directors can't, in the same way Dennis Hopper had a natural affinity for the characters and subject matter of Easy Rider.

Link Prime

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 May, 2014, 04:33:58 PM
=I really didn't like the 'look' they've given quicksilver when I saw the publicity photos, but he's the best thing in it - the scene in which he [spoiler]nonchalantly strolls around moving bullets and positioning guards to punch themselves is great.[/spoiler]

My favorite scene in any of the X movies, perhaps due to the wedgie.
Inspired.

radiator

Saw it on Sunday. Overall I liked it quite a bit - one of the better superhero movies of recent years. I liked how despite (apparently) being one of the most expensive movies ever made and having a huge roster of characters, they managed to keep it quite contained and personal. The plot got a tad convoluted at points - which is unavoidable, really, but overall I was impressed how well it all hung together. The packed-out audience went nuts for Quicksilver - I expect to see him back in a much bigger role in the next film. Great use of powers in the film - especially when two or more mutants were using their powers in tandem - the Chinese teleporting girl did some great mind-bending stuff that was clearly inspired by the Portal games.

I thought the final scene in the [spoiler]Xavier school with all the surprise cameos was perfectly-judged and just lovely (I'd avoided all spoilers), and I took it to be an ending/farewell for the original X-cast, wiping the slate clean and allowing the younger cast (with Mystique as a goodie/ambiguous antihero) plus Wolverine) to branch out into all new adventures.[/spoiler]

One minor quibble is that I didn't really like the design of the future sentinels. I can see why they beefed them up, but 1970s sentinels were way, way cooler imo.

A couple of things I didn't quite get on first viewing:

[spoiler]The Vietnam scene seemed a bit random. Xavier and Magneto's students were drafted, and Mystique was liberating them, is that correct?

I also didn't quite catch Magneto's motivations going into the third act. He was helping the others to stop Mystique, but then decided to kill Mystique to make double sure - that much I understood. But I didn't quite see why he went off towards the end. To destroy the sentinels? But he couldn't tell that would backfire massively? It could be me being slow but I felt there was a scene or two missing here.

And back in the 'past' timeline - Wolverine is now not going to be experimented on and bonded with the metal skeleton?[/spoiler]

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 27 May, 2014, 05:31:23 PM

A couple of things I didn't quite get on first viewing:

[spoiler]The Vietnam scene seemed a bit random. Xavier and Magneto's students were drafted, and Mystique was liberating them, is that correct?

I also didn't quite catch Magneto's motivations going into the third act. He was helping the others to stop Mystique, but then decided to kill Mystique to make double sure - that much I understood. But I didn't quite see why he went off towards the end. To destroy the sentinels? But he couldn't tell that would backfire massively? It could be me being slow but I felt there was a scene or two missing here.

And back in the 'past' timeline - Wolverine is now not going to be experimented on and bonded with the metal skeleton?[/spoiler]

Vietnam: The mutants were already working soldiers, likely in a 'special unit'. [spoiler]They were being sent to Trask industries upon request, probably for vivisection.[/spoiler]

Magneto: [spoiler]After figuring out he could control the proto-Sentinels, he made a power play, pure & simple. The future knowledge provided by Logan likely spurred him into a more proactive anti-human frame of mind.[/spoiler]

Weapon X: [spoiler]It's never explicitly revealed if Wolverine has his Adamantium skeleton in this revised time-line or not. The second time the Adamantium bonding process took place in the comics, it was Apocalypse who carried it out, not the Weapon X program. I'd say it's likely going to go this way / 'already went that way' if Jackman is returning for Age of Apocalypse [/spoiler]

Proteus4

Saw this at the start of the week. I'm a big fan of xmen and x2 and first class, but did not like or remember very much of origins, x3 or the wolverine - all of which were just a bit pants.

The girl who [spoiler]played Portal all over the place[/spoiler] at the start was awesome - that whole scene was great with the sentinels [spoiler]slowly picking off the remaining mutants one by one[/spoiler]. And then they [spoiler]star trekked it and reset the time line so no one was dead anymore[/spoiler]. I gave them a pass on that one as I enjoyed the scene so much.

What did I forget from the other movies??? [spoiler]Fuck me xaviers alive[/spoiler]! How'd that happen. I had to look it up when I got home.

Then wolverine (Huge Action) started walking around in the nip for a bit and I puked a little in my mouth. He looks like Slaine in a warp spasm - big bulging veins and rippling muscles. And his bony claws are actually gross - his metal ones are way cooler.

I loved quicksilver. He was all like "[spoiler]wo! here's a wedgie and why don't u punch yourself in the face dude[/spoiler]". Shame he couldn't have been in the rest of the movie but the plot was busy enough already I guess.

For me Michael fassbender is one of the best actors of his generation so I enjoyed all his screen time. Great twist with him just [spoiler]turning on mystique like that[/spoiler].

Peter Dinklage is mega in anything.

And then sentinels [spoiler]start picking people off in the future again and storm gets skewered and magneto gets a few extra metal ribs[/spoiler] and then they - u guessed it - they [spoiler]star trekked it and reset the time line[/spoiler]. Ahem.

Then lots of little cameos for [spoiler]rogue, jean grey and Scott and everybody's happy and all is well with the world[/spoiler].

Yeah. I really enjoyed it. Despite it's wee flaws, it was great

Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

GrinningChimera

Just noticed that Trask (as in Trask Industries) is an anagram of Stark....

So was Bolivar Trask a little person in the comic books? I agree with everyone else about Quicksilver stealing the show.

Montynero

Quicksilver's scenes were cool, and it was good film overall. [spoiler]I love the 70's setting, which is a bold move for a blockbuster film, and making Wolverine the instigating character who goes back in time worked brilliantly. (It was a little bit comedy the way Wolvie wigged out during Mystique's escape from the summit though, just to make room for the other characters to take the lead for a change.) [/spoiler] James McAvoy stole the show as Xavier, bringing real pathos and humanity to the role. Brilliant actor. [spoiler]Inevitably there are slightly too many characters, which prevents you getting hugely involved with the fate of any individual, and it really lacked a strong nemesis. Obviously the Sentinels were  threatening and Trask was cool, but unless the forces of evil are embodied in a physical character things tend to feel a little 'whatever' when they should be ramping up from the mid point on[/spoiler]. A very enjoyable evening, my main gripe being that its twenty quid for a couple of tickets and a hot dog now: Cinema is no longer a cheap night out!