Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: repoman on 29 April, 2020, 11:47:41 AM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 April, 2020, 11:18:54 PM
KILLING EVE is pretty good. I'm on Season 1.

I still need to start s2 but heard it was kind of disappointing.  Will get onto it soon though.

Mrs YNWA loved series 2 - isn't quite so keen on the start of 3 however.

Apestrife

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Having a great time watching this. Initially a bit unsure of it's 3D animation, but it quickly won me over with it's fun and interesting adventures, occasionally with a dark edge to them.

I'm finding it quite interesting that the stories are not shown in a chronological order, and the different ways they'v made great use of it.

Very much looking forward to the finale tomorrow on May the 4th  :)

sheridan

Quote from: radiator on 17 April, 2020, 01:41:43 AM
Been bingeing Netflix's The Crown. Just started on season 3.

It's a bit bombastic in tone at times, almost certainly overly heightened dramatically, and some of the dialogue and staging is a little heavyhanded at times, but so far it's been surprisingly excellent and a really nice slice of  comfort viewing in very stressful times - the televisual equivalent of a really rich mug of hot chocolate.

The cast is pretty much incredible from top to bottom, and I'm actually learning quite a bit about 20th century British history - to my shame I'd never even heard of things like the Aberfan disaster or the crazy killer London fog incident.
Is Aberfan the Welsh mining village?
A friend of mine worked on The Crown - she's a seamstress - it's amazing to think how many people put work in to every TV production, particularly the period pieces, or anything which requires bespoke furniture, clothing and other craftworks.

moly

Finally got Disney plus, mainly for the mandolarian, only on episode 2 but not feeling it yet, does it get better

repoman

Quote from: moly on 03 May, 2020, 12:07:00 PM
Finally got Disney plus, mainly for the mandolarian, only on episode 2 but not feeling it yet, does it get better

I'd say so.  I wasn't feeling it after the first two eps but by 4 or 5 in I was liking it.

repoman

Rick and Morty fans should check out Solar Opposites as it is by the same guy and pretty similar.

TordelBack

Into the Night. Very silly end-of-the-world nonsense which was billed as an adaptation of Dukaj's enigmatic The Old Axolotl, but is actually a non-supernatural cross between Lost and The Langoliers.

It features deeply-improbable sex symbol Laurent Capelluto, who diligent Netflixers will remember as Siriani from Black Spot/Zone Blanche, and the captivating gamine Pauline Etienne as they circle a dying earth keeping ahead of a lethal sunrise and deal with the traditional cast of mobsters, muslims, murderers, millenials and moms that make up any random gang of survivors these days.

At 6 episodes it races along from one predictable wholy illogical crisis to another and I really enjoyed it when I wasn't thinking about it at all. This Belgian stuff must be growing on me.

Bosch on the other hand... it's such old-fashioned TV that it's downright weird. Having got used to the astonishing casting of things like Better Call Saul or Fargo, it's a shock to find oneself watching a series populated entirely by the usual suspects of US TV (half the cast of ER for a start) barely any one of whom is really believable in their role.

Titus WellIver himself is a fine lead, but the Bosch character is such a godawful basket of clichés. No-one is bad, but they all clearly know they're in a cop show, every bit as obviously as the cast of Brooklyn 99.- it's not something I've seen in a 'serious' show for a long while.

Not that I'm objecting to this kind of nostalgic comfort food at this time, it's perfectly good fun. Just odd.

repoman

currently working through the latest series of Better Call Saul.  One episode left (hence me not posting in the BCS thread).  I love this show so much and it is odd because the pace is so slow and not much of any consequence happens in any given episode.  But it's just so brilliant.

I feel like they need to wrap it up before one of the older actors dies though.

Mardroid

Fargo

I'm on the second series now. Anthology crime drama with black humour, and curious American accents that sound rather different to others I've heard. (They remind me  of Canadian accents in the way they pronounce certain words, although likely Canadians or Americans reading this will be shaking their heads on horror at my ignorance. Seriously though, listen to how they pronounce 'ou' sounds!) The first two series have been really good. Highly recommended if you'd like to watch a crime series with a difference, or just good telly.

Seeing Kirsten Dunst's character  is making me feel old though. I still remember her as the doll-girl vampire from Interview With the Vampire and Mary-Jane from the Raimi Spider-Man films.

Previous to this, I've been binging a couple of comedy series.

Arrested Development
I've found it very amusing in places, but I'm finding it a bit irritating now. I'm on the last series and decided to give it a bit of a break, but I'll likely go back to it soon, to see I it improves.

Still Game
Scottish sitcom about a couple of old codgers and their mates in a Glasgow suburb. It goes from very funny to sad and poignant and it all mostly works. I understand it's been around for a few years but I only started watching it recently.

Thoroughly enjoyed most of it. Last of the Summer Wine, it certainly isn't! (Not to knock the latter, just saying it's very different, aside from 'old boys getting up to shenanigans' premise.) I also learned a couple of new phrases I wasn't really acquainted with before, South-eastern Sassenach that I am.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 May, 2020, 05:03:51 PM
Fargo
I'm on the second series now.

Us too, and thoroughly enjoying it. As I was musing upthread, the casting in these things is just spectacularly good.

Fake Matt Damon (Jesse Plemons) in particular is terrific, a man so gormlessly oblivious he's actually pretty hateful (or that could be the Todd-hangover speaking). The chemistry (of desperation) between him and Dunst is so good that I just this minute wondered if there was a real-life history there, and lo and behold wikipedia tells me they're engaged.

Patrick Wilson as the younger incarnation of Keith Carradine's Lou Solverson is magnificently heroic, and if you haven't got to [spoiler]Bruce Campbell[/spoiler] as Ronald Reagan yet, it's a little bit of a triumph.

Mardroid

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 May, 2020, 06:06:22 PM
Patrick Wilson as the younger incarnation of Keith Carradine's Lou Solverson is magnificently heroic, and if you haven't got to [spoiler]Bruce Campbell[/spoiler] as Ronald Reagan yet, it's a little bit of a triumph.

Ha, yes I'm on season 3 now, which is also very good. Concerning Reagan's casting: [spoiler]Campbell's got one of those voices that I recognise straight away, so on hearing his voice-over before he appeared, and seeing REAGAN in the subtitles, I thought to myself "Reagan sounds a lot like Bruce Campbell". And there he was, with a bit of rouge portraying Reagan very well. Heh.[/spoiler]

There was a later scene where [spoiler]Mrs. Solverson dreams of the future, and we see the original actors of Molly and Lou from series one in happier times. I found myself tearing up a bit. I think I'm turning into a big girl's blouse in my old age.[/spoiler]

Anyway series 3 is proving quite different (which fits with 1 &2 also being very different but there is less character linkage here, unless I'm missing something) but so far also very good. [spoiler]Ewan Macgregor puts in a great performance as two characters! Curiously I didn't even recognise the curly haired brother as also him until the second episode, but the funny looking one I recognised straight away![/spoiler]

auxlen

Enjoying Schitt's Creek and Kims Convenience on Netflix...both Canadian 'sitcoms'.

David in Schitt's is such a great character as is MR KIM in the latter.

repoman

Fargo is fab.  I liked all three seasons of it.

I've started rewatching Community.  I know it tails off hard later on but it is great at first.

My brother recommends a cartoon thing called Mr. Pickles which I'm going to start this week I think.

Jim_Campbell

Just finished a leisurely rewatch of Frasier... well, I say 'rewatch', we didn't watch it religiously when it was originally running so quite a lot of this was actually new to us. I think I may have been fairly resistant to watching originally due to not caring much for Cheers at all.

What a remarkable achievement — 11x 24-episode seasons and I can't recall an actual duff episode in the whole thing. At it's worst it's gently amusing and at its best, it's genuinely hilarious but capable of pivoting to something quite touching without missing a beat.

It hits the ground running — there's remarkably little reworking of the formula in the early seasons and the mileage is evident from the fact that the series doesn't mess with the fundamentals for the entire run. Starting off funny, Frasier matures like [insert Miles-appropriate cheese/wine simile here] until, in the latter seasons, the character work is so finely-tuned that it can raise a laugh from a raised eyebrow or even what someone doesn't say.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

Frasier is one of my favourite US tv shows, and there's certainly no season without highlights, though 10 is definitely the least strong - some of that's down to the death of show co-creator David Angell in the 911 attacks. But it absolutely rallies with the final season, when its best writer, Joe Keenan, returns and pens the Patrick Stewart episode. Even at its weakest, Frasier is pleasant tv, and you still feel you're hanging out with some people you're very fond of. Something simple, like Grammer's amazing enunciation, can be a joy - watch out for any time he says the word 'nude'. But at its best - stuff like The Matchmaker, The Impossible Dream, Out With Dad, Moon Dance, The Ski Lodge or The Candidate - you've got episodes that can go toe to toe with the best any sitcom's ever offered.