Main Menu

Which Tablet?

Started by radiator, 26 November, 2012, 12:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

For the iPad (deep breath):

Capture (immediate video recording); Photogene (photo editor); WeatherPro HD; Animoog, Figure, GarageBand and NanoStudio (music); PCalc (calculator—Soulver is also worth considering for a different take on calculations); Dropbox; Dictionary; WriteRoom (Dropbox-sync writing tool); eBay; Facebook and Tweetbot; Reeder, Comic Zeal; Wikipanion; Remote (if you get an Apple TV, or even if you don't); Air Video; TuneIn Radio; BBC iPlayer; Flixter; TV Guide; TED; AppShopper; Tap! magazine (which I write for!); 30/30; Solar Walk; Pocket or Instapaper.

Games: Bit Pilot; Café International; Hero Academy; Letterpress; Pinball Arcade; Super Hexagon; Ticket to Ride; Gridrunner; Forget Me Not; Magnetic Billiards; Plants vs Zombies HD; Space Invaders Infinity Gene; Super Stickman Golf; Trainyard (fantastic puzzler); World of Goo HD; Zen Bound 2; Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

If you do Twitter, follow my @iphonetiny account, which regularly tweets about great apps, freebies and deals. Also regularly check AppShopper for discounts and free stuff.

Steve Green

If you're in London - bus checker

National Rail

Quite impressed with kitcam as a replacement camera app.

AvplayerHD

radiator

QuoteIf you're in London - bus checker

I've found that Citymapper London is superb for navigating public transport - just tap in where you want to go and it'll instantly tell you how to get there by bus, tube, overground, walking, bike. cab, how much it'll cost and in the case of walking and cycling how many calories you'll burn! It's only on iPhone though.

I find the camera to be pretty useless on the iPad - the screen is so sharp it renders pretty much all but professional photography a noisy, pixellated, unsightly mess! The Guardian Eyewitness images look absolutely bloody stunning though.

radiator

To counteract my earlier Apple love, I will say that I am getting so many static shocks of my aluminium keyboard I am this fucking close to smashing the bloody thing with a hammer and buying an old-school plastic one instead.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 11 December, 2012, 11:50:37 AM
To counteract my earlier Apple love, I will say that I am getting so many static shocks of my aluminium keyboard I am this fucking close to smashing the bloody thing with a hammer and buying an old-school plastic one instead.

You'll prize my full size bluetooth white Apple extended keyboard from my cold, dead hands -- to the extent that I now have two spares procured from eBay. (There's one on there now for fifteen quid -- I think they come up fairly regularly. My most recent one cost a tenner.)

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 11 December, 2012, 10:24:36 AM
So, can anyone recommend any must have Apps for iOS?

So far I've got, among others:

2000 AD
Comixology
GTA: Vice City
Dredd Vs Zombies
The Room
Guardian Eyewitness
Beatwave
Procreate
Paper
Accuweather

From the top of my head, apart from several you've listed, I'd use these the most;

Marvel (3 free comics, updated every Tuesday morning)
Dark Horse (Comics)
Wind-Up Knight (Game)
Scrabble (Game)
Tetris (Game)
Go Go Gadget (Game)
Infinity Blade I / II (Game)
Dead Space (Game)
Kindle
Sunday Times
IMDB
eBAY
Youtube
Bookman (for linking w/ Dropbox)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 December, 2012, 12:17:14 PMYou'll prize my full size bluetooth white Apple extended keyboard from my cold, dead hands
I love the slimline metal ones, although it took time to get used to the 'bounce' of the Bluetooth one with my new iMac versus the extended one I had before. I'm a huge fan of the short travel—fantastic for typing with.

pauljholden

Procreate has been updated, and it's pretty significant. Its now possible to do fully colour print sized comics on it. Between this and the new Manga Studio, I'm giddy at the chance to ditch photoshop from my workflow...

pj

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 December, 2012, 01:13:48 PM
I love the slimline metal ones, although it took time to get used to the 'bounce' of the Bluetooth one with my new iMac versus the extended one I had before.

Can't do without the numeric keypad, but the arrangement of my desk doesn't favour a wired keyboard...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Alas for hopes, a tablet is no longer even a possibility this year after all, but I have to say that after doing buckets of research and fondling the entire stockrooms of Major Retailers, the iPad Mini has completely stolen my heart.  What a beautiful, responsive thing it is, and so eminently totable. If anyone needs someone killed rather ineptly or would like to see my nude cover of Gangnam Style, that's apparently my price right there.

(Incidentally, I've set about making an alternative compu-pressie for the kids, in the shape of a jury-rigged laptop built from the scavenged bodies of the fallen.  Based around a really glorious Vaio VGN 17" screen, I'm currently lacking only a decently sized harddrive [the one I'd triumphantly extracted from a dead iBook turned out to be IDE {in contrast to every other Mac I've ever opened}, and there's no room in the case for a SATA converter], I intend to install an unused XP licence over Lubuntu and pack it to the gills with every PC game and ripped DVD I've ever owned, and every vaguely educational piece of freeware I can find, but primarily Scratch, which I've fallen hopelessly in love with).

DoomBot

Quote from: radiator on 11 December, 2012, 10:24:36 AM
So, can anyone recommend any must have Apps for iOS?

So far I've got, among others:

2000 AD
Comixology
GTA: Vice City
Dredd Vs Zombies
The Room
Guardian Eyewitness
Beatwave
Procreate
Paper
Accuweather

BbC news
Bbc iplayer
Spotify
Dropbox
Evernote
Kindle
Tiplodocus

My Samsung galaxy tab 2 has been pretty darned good so far. Much cheaper than equivalent ipad and does me for comics, youtube, browsing. Its regularly nicked by the rest of the Tips clan. Never had a problem with apps not working and 10.1  inch screen is perfect for 2000ad. I never bothered with 3G as I can tether it to my phone or abuse home or various free wifi.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!