Main Menu

GQ: How 2000ad Predicted The Future

Started by Frank, 27 April, 2014, 08:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 August, 2014, 10:04:31 PM
Less impressive was Tony Blair becoming Prime Minister in Maniac 5 - he committed suicide some time before the first series, then Mark Millar forgot and he came to life back in the third.

Ha! Blair would have enjoyed that - death and resurrection are very much in keeping with the messianic image he has of himself.

Bubba Zebill

Perfect!
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 27 June, 2014, 01:40:20 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 11 May, 2014, 05:20:58 PM

From winning the affections of Nikolai Dante in 1997 (prog 1066), to winning Eurovision in 2014. Tharg, predicting the future since 1977:

Except Conchita Wurst is, what would generally be considered, a male. And the Lady Eudoxia Looshin is deffinelty, what would be considered by most, a female.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Buttonman

Quote from: Satanist on 27 June, 2014, 06:12:17 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 10 May, 2014, 06:41:54 PM

Smart gun technology is the latest consumer product and hot topic in the USA - the NRA don't like 'em. Sensors in the grip detect the user's palm print and stop the weapon being fired by an unauthorised user. They were initially developed for use by law enforcement officers ...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/josephsteinberg/2014/05/04/smartguns/

I wrote a letter to Tharg about that years ago, cannae remember the prog though.

OhOh late to the party - cheers Danddontdare for the heads up. What's your surname Satanist - I know you're mark but I have a few Glasgow Marks and I don't want them getting excited. Approx Pog range ould also lend credibility to your claim.

Toni Scandella

"different areas of the building would be linked by a series of bridges and walkways helping to 'increase exchanges, communications and interactions, creating a 'vertical city' housing thousands" - sounds similar to the way that the old Crescents in Hulme were promoted when they were being built.  Those worked well...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Toni Scandella on 31 August, 2014, 07:59:18 PM
"different areas of the building would be linked by a series of bridges and walkways helping to 'increase exchanges, communications and interactions, creating a 'vertical city' housing thousands" - sounds similar to the way that the old Crescents in Hulme were promoted when they were being built.  Those worked well...

Streets in the Sky is an old idea.

Bolt-01

I lived in Hulme in the late 70's, and the crescents were flippin' great to skateboard on. A lovely smooth surface. All gone now...

Satanist

Quote from: Buttonman on 30 August, 2014, 12:34:13 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 27 June, 2014, 06:12:17 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 10 May, 2014, 06:41:54 PM

Smart gun technology is the latest consumer product and hot topic in the USA - the NRA don't like 'em. Sensors in the grip detect the user's palm print and stop the weapon being fired by an unauthorised user. They were initially developed for use by law enforcement officers ...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/josephsteinberg/2014/05/04/smartguns/

I wrote a letter to Tharg about that years ago, cannae remember the prog though.

OhOh late to the party - cheers Danddontdare for the heads up. What's your surname Satanist - I know you're mark but I have a few Glasgow Marks and I don't want them getting excited. Approx Pog range ould also lend credibility to your claim.

Just checked on Barney and think its prog 1376. My one and only entry in Thargs organ. Ffnarr!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Dandontdare

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 01 September, 2014, 03:04:55 PM
I lived in Hulme in the late 70's, and the crescents were flippin' great to skateboard on. A lovely smooth surface. All gone now...

By the time I moved to Hulme in 1990, they were good for late night shebeens, smack dealers, dogshit and muggings.

Still, at least the place had energy and character with loads of squatting punks, poets, musicians and artists. Nowadays Hulme is just new-build student flats and yuppie apartments for the city centre workers, and all but one or two of the dozens of pubs has shut down. The bit I live in (known as the redbricks) is one of the few old bits that survived the demolition, and it's like a nature reserve of the old Hulme - a protected sanctuary for the punks and crusties.

Toni Scandella

I never lived there as in, had a rent book (not that anyone bothered collecting rent there anyway) but I did wind up staying there a lot in the late 80's as a lot of the flats by then were just empty, and most of my friends lived there. Miss that place!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Toni Scandella on 01 September, 2014, 06:01:53 PM
I never lived there as in, had a rent book (not that anyone bothered collecting rent there anyway) but I did wind up staying there a lot in the late 80's as a lot of the flats by then were just empty, and most of my friends lived there. Miss that place!

you should have stuck around a bit - when they finally came to demolish the blocks, any remaining squatters got rehoused - with compensation! (before all the frothing rightwingers want to string me up, we did offer to pay rent, but they refused to give us a rent book as we were "illegal occupiers", but could not evict us as they'd then have to rehouse us anyway, so they were happy to turn a blind eye to the squatters in the empty flats.)

We got a flat in the redbricks (and started paying rent) and I've been in that same flat for the last 21 years.

Buttonman

Quote from: Satanist on 01 September, 2014, 03:15:59 PM

Just checked on Barney and think its prog 1376. My one and only entry in Thargs organ. Ffnarr!

Hmm let's check that fanciful yet still unimpressive claim...

Whrrrrrr-ting

LAURENCE   O'ROURKE   EDINBURGH   1376
LINTON   PORTEOUS LLL   DUNDEE   1376
RICHARD   KAVANAGH RRR   DUBLIN   1376
CLIVE   JEVONS   E-MAIL   1376
FLOYD   KERMODE FFF   JAPAN   1376
MARK   KENNEDY   GLASGOW   1376
JEAN           BENFORD   LONDON   1376
RICHARD   BALMER   HERTFORDSHIRE   1376

Well OK - in amongst a couple of letters greats there - and Floyd too! Hahahahaha!

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105