Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

Is it just 'Return to Ro-Busters' and 'Fallout' contained in this volume? No extras?

The Monarch

no extras just the back matter which is worth a read

Dark Jimbo

Boo! Was really hoping for the Blackblood 'General Public' solo and/or the Hammerstein solo.
@jamesfeistdraws

Max Headroom

What is the Hammerstein solo? Can you say where it first appeared?

The Monarch

yeah i am wondering about that hammerstein solo i know the blackblood one was in fcbd 2017

Dark Jimbo

I said Hammerstein, but it's really more of a Ro-Busters story -'Seeing Red' from the 40th anniversary prog. By Mills and Langley, too, so could hardly have fitted any better in this book!
@jamesfeistdraws

Bad Andy

Hmmm. Seems I've missed Brassed Sun 2 and The Returners. Off to Hachette I go

sintec

Well that ABC Warriors book sure does look pretty, Langley is superb throughout. Not sure there's much to love about either story beyond the art though. The ret-conning of Ro-Busters to make Quartz the big bad doesn't really end up going anywhere beyond "big business is bad, mm'kay". By Fallout he's just become another bland megalomaniac hellbent on killing the Warriors. Setting the Warriors against each other gave Langley some great fights to draw but there was never any sense of tension there. Mill's continual polemic against the sheeple get's pretty tired too.

The article at the back discusses the split between Rebellion and Mills. Mills comment that:

QuoteAn over-hands on approach to scripts from the creator of 2000ad contrasted with him letting extremley poor artwork on some of my other stories go with a rubber stamp

I wonder which stories he's referring to here as the art on pretty much everything Mill's has scripted in recent years has been superb. I think Secret Commonwealth is the most recent Mill's story where I thought the art was weak and thats a long way back now. It's also a shitty thing to say publically about your collaborators. I get he's got beef with Rebellion, and some of that may well be valid, but I don't see how that justifies pulling other creators over the coals. Particularly when that accusation just doesn't feel like it rings true for me. Mill's seems to have become a character in one of his own stories, stuck in a loop and constantly ranting about the vast conspiracy designed to keep them subjugated.

IndigoPrime

Would be interesting to know which era he's referring to. My understanding is that Mills for the majority of his time on the comic got to dictate who illustrated his strips. And I've no idea what an over-hands approach to the scripts means. Is he arguing that the scripts were edited heavily? (Something Mills always did to others, which was apparently fine, but that presumably isn't OK for his work? And at what stage? Hasn't his work during Matt Smith's essentially been left alone?)

I'm morbidly curious to read this back material... although not to the degree I want to actually buy the book. It sounds quite 'warts and all'.

Richard

I recall him saying that Andy Diggle imposed a structure on an ABC Warriors arc where the story was to be told in a few short stories instead of letting him do one big story. But Diggle was 20 years ago!

Dark Jimbo

He's trying really hard tp trash his own legacy, isn't he? 🤦‍♂️
@jamesfeistdraws

Tomontherun94

He's currently going off on one defending his NFTs on his Twitter, calling everyone that disagrees with him about them authoritarians so I'm not sure if he's really concerned about his legacy anymore

IndigoPrime

Great to see that he's inviting debate and then calling anyone who disagrees with him a fascist.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 October, 2022, 08:39:06 PM
Great to see that he's inviting debate and then calling anyone who disagrees with him a fascist.

Is that not par for the course in Millsian debate...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sintec

Well Blunt really is a refreshing read after the Warriors. I read the 2nd and 3rd parts when they ran in the Meg and this bounced off me a bit. Not sure if that was down to missing the set up in part 1 or just that this reads better collected. Probably a bit of both tbh. Boo's art is great throughout, lots or alien weirdness and psycehedlic craziness. Like Mill's this has a message, unlike Mill's I didn't feel berated by it. It's a great addition to the collection imo.