Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davgardo

Quote from: Neil C on 16 August, 2017, 09:23:30 AM
Just confirmed on Facebook - 13 volumes of Slaine

Good Grud! I'd much rather have a couple of volumes of stuff like Leviathan and Red Seas than those murky Steve Tappin and Nick Percival Slaine stories.
This has just confirmed my decision to cherry pick rather than subscribing.

James Stacey

13 volumes of Slaine certainly has me questioning a sub. A couple of books of solid gold, a couple more good ones, but 13? Thats got to be at least 6 books of Clint Langleys talking heads

TordelBack

Quote from: James Stacey on 16 August, 2017, 10:26:54 AM
13 volumes of Slaine certainly has me questioning a sub. A couple of books of solid gold, a couple more good ones, but 13? Thats got to be at least 6 books of Clint Langleys talking heads

I'd say 3 at most. The 5 Langley collections are only about 100 pages each. And most are surprisingly good too.

EDIT: I was forgetting Lord of Misrule (60 pages)

IndigoPrime

So:

CONFIRMED

ABC Warriors: 6
Ampney Crucis: 1
Bad Company: 2
Caballistics: 2
Future Shocks: 2
Halo Jones: 1
Hewligan's Haircut/Sooner or Later: 1
Judge Dredd: 3
Nemesis: 4
Nikolai Dante: 9
Rogue Trooper: 5
Shakara: 2
Sláine: 13
Skizz/DR & Quinch: 1

=

GUESSWORK

Ace Trucking: 2
Kingdom: 3
Robo-Hunter: 2
Invasion/Savage: 4
Sinister Dexter: 4
Stickleback: 1
Strontium Dog (inc. Durham Red)?: 11
Zombo: 1

EDIT: Above now edited after subsequent posts in this thread.

That's 80. Although that doesn't take into account that we know there will be some Dredd/Anderson content in there. So presumably you can knock back some of those by a book or so.

And, yeah, 13 books of Sláine is a little surprising, given how variable the quality was during that point. (I can't imagine the collection would have lost anything by jumping from Horned God to the Langley stuff, BUT then I imagine Sláine fans might argue the same regarding Nikolai Dante. That said, if all of Sláine is being collected, you'd hope Strontium Dog gets the same treatment, since that one is comparatively remarkably consistent across the run.)

IndigoPrime

13 Sláine books:

Warrior's Dawn / 200
Time Killer / 176
The King / 256
Horned God / 208
Demon Killer / 160
Lord of Misrule + Treasures of Britain / ~ 256
Grail War / 192
Lord of the Beasts / 256
Book of Invasions 1 + 2 / ~ 230
Book of Invasions 3 + The Wanderer / ~ 250
Book of Scars / 192
Brutania 1 + 2 / ~ 240
Brutania 3 + 4 / ~ 200

Time Killer and Demon Killer may need some padding, or pages to move from, respectively, The King and the Lord of Misrule/Treasures of Britain book.

IndigoPrime

Playing around with Soulver again, Strontium Dog fits into 11 books if Durham Red isn't in the mix. The Agency Files account for just over 7 big books (1776 pages, on the basis of the original Rebellion trades) and the newer stuff comes in at 836 – just over three books. So muck about with page counts and you're sorted. (You'd only have to move Top Dog to deal with that.)

On that basis, it looks like the collection will be:

All of (or very nearly all of) Strontium Dog, the complete Nikolai Dante, every last drop of Sláine, and probably all of Nemesis – as far as the major non-Dredd characters go. (Thought: was Top Dog in the JD Mega Collection? If so, it wouldn't be included in this one. I don't recall it being in there though.)

moly

:lol: :lolIf this is successful forget a bigger bookcase think I'll need to bulk an extension to the house

Steve Green

I thought it was 7 Johnny Alpha strontium dog books + 3 other which I guess could be 1 Abnett Durham Red, possibly the Ennis/Hogan Strontium Dogs, maybe Middenface standalones?

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 August, 2017, 10:53:40 AM
13 Sláine books:

Warrior's Dawn / 200
Time Killer / 176
The King / 256
Horned God / 208
Demon Killer / 160
Lord of Misrule + Treasures of Britain / ~ 256
Grail War / 192
Lord of the Beasts / 256
Book of Invasions 1 + 2 / ~ 230
Book of Invasions 3 + The Wanderer / ~ 250
Book of Scars / 192
Brutania 1 + 2 / ~ 240
Brutania 3 + 4 / ~ 200

Time Killer and Demon Killer may need some padding, or pages to move from, respectively, The King and the Lord of Misrule/Treasures of Britain book.

Hmmm, the actual strip material in Book of Scars is only 45 pages,  Carnivale and strip in the Wanderer collection weighs in at 48+96  and the 5 Books of Invasion come in at about 250 including Clint's extra pages in the collections.  So plenty of slack there. Perhaps the Lost Years tales and the Annual stories (currently in Lord of the Beasts collection) could be spread out to pad out (or dilute) other slimmer volumes. Or even some Tales of Telguuth!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 August, 2017, 11:38:54 AMHmmm, the actual strip material in Book of Scars is only 45 pages
Really? How the hell did the trade get so chunky, then? (I don't own that one myself.)

But, yeah, plenty of slack – or room in the collection for planned Sláine in the Prog over the coming years. (I notice the Marvel extension's been doing much the same – running reprint a while after standalone trades have hit the shelves, which happens pretty rapidly after the floppies are done. No reason why 2000 AD couldn't do the same if this series does well.)

Tomwe

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 August, 2017, 10:48:55 AM
Although that doesn't take into account that we know there will be some Dredd/Anderson content in there. So
Facebook confirmed three Dredd books, again nothing already in the Mega Collection. So likely some kind of Origin book covering Prog 2 through to Robot wars, then Dark Justice, possibly including the Percival sequel. And maybe Every Empire Falls since it has a 'Death Of Dredd'.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 August, 2017, 11:42:45 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 16 August, 2017, 11:38:54 AMHmmm, the actual strip material in Book of Scars is only 45 pages
Really? How the hell did the trade get so chunky, then? (I don't own that one myself.)

Creators' picks of classic covers, lots of text: 30th anniversary stuff. It's a nice looking book, but it's the only one I don't own either!

abelardsnazz

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 August, 2017, 11:00:14 AM
(Thought: was Top Dog in the JD Mega Collection? If so, it wouldn't be included in this one. I don't recall it being in there though.)

Top Dog is in the Judgement Day volume, so presumably it won't be included here following the announcement no Dredd stuff will be duplicated.

Quote from: Tomwe on 16 August, 2017, 11:56:11 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 August, 2017, 10:48:55 AM
Although that doesn't take into account that we know there will be some Dredd/Anderson content in there. So
Facebook confirmed three Dredd books, again nothing already in the Mega Collection. So likely some kind of Origin book covering Prog 2 through to Robot wars, then Dark Justice, possibly including the Percival sequel. And maybe Every Empire Falls since it has a 'Death Of Dredd'.

I wondered whether Dark Justice might now appear in the MC extension for continuity with the rest of the Death stories. More recent Anderson has also been confirmed for the MC extension. Would the right balance of Dredd stories for this collection be ones where you don't need to know loads of backstory but there are enough references to pique your interest?

BPP

If the phonebooks are replaced completely for Ace and SD then its a fine time to pass them on to others. Likewise Dante.

13 Slaine is way way too much. And I like Slaine.

Have we any indication what size the statues re yet? 1/6 1/8 1/12 ?
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

TordelBack

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 16 August, 2017, 12:33:08 PM
I wondered whether Dark Justice might now appear in the MC extension for continuity with the rest of the Death stories.

Also consider its relevance to the PJ Maybe and Day of Chaos volumes.