Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Better Call Saul  (Read 10300 times)

Smith

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
Better Call Saul
« on: 26 April, 2017, 04:34:05 PM »
Things are certanly heating up in season 3.:)

Buttonman

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
Re: Better Call Saul
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2017, 09:08:04 PM »

Smith

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2017, 05:49:50 AM »
About the trainers,same here. :)
As for the pacing,Im getting the feeling it was made for binge watching.

Keef Monkey

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • I knew you'd say that...
    • View Profile
    • POPOLAC
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »
It was great this week, and that trainer observation went over my head too. I think I was forgetting that the show often opens on a pre-titles flashback and just assumed I was looking at current events!

It was the first episode I've downloaded on the Netflix app and watched on my tablet though, I don't generally do that because I'd rather soak it up on the big telly without distractions, but have been working too late to get home and do that so figured this was a good solution.

Anyway, the point I'm getting to is that the download seemed to suffer a few problems and I was curious if others have the same issues - the sound developed a crackle about halfway through the episode which got worse and worse as it went on until things were pretty distorted, and then the picture started skipping occasionally. Was really annoying, but I still enjoyed the show which is probably testament to how damn good it is. Not sure if that's a 'thing' with Netflix downloads or if I just got unlucky with this one.

In future I'll be holding off until I can watch it on the couch in front of the telly, for a show that's so character based it's shot in a very cinematic way so that's clearly where it really shines anyway. It looks amazing at times.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Droning on and on relentlessly since the 70s
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2017, 12:25:58 PM »
Mmmm, some of the shots where Mike was following the tracker down desert roads last week were just extraordinary - especially juxtaposed with Jimmy's mural art of essentially the same thing. The pacing of BCS, and the room it affords these kinds of sequences, is exquisite, one of my favourite things about a great show.

Mute77

• Page Numbering Droid
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2017, 05:27:16 PM »
This is my favourite thing on telly at the mo*. Normally a slow burning pace would bore me but its something about the characters/actors that i cant get enough of. Brilliant stuff.
*this and Fargo!

radiator

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • A fry without beans is a mere meat collage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »
About the trainers,same here. :)
As for the pacing,Im getting the feeling it was made for binge watching.

Yeah - it's definitely more satisfying to binge watch rather than piecemeal week to week. I love the extended visual sequences though - so cinematic. I liked the sequence of Kim getting ready for work - reminded me a bit of Darren Aronofsky and Edgar Wright's style.

Dark Jimbo

• Bionic Fingers
  • Grobbendonk spoke gibberish, a fringeworld dialect
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »
While Breaking Bad had some stellar moments and episodes, it also really dragged in places and got a bit silly in others. BCS never hits the highest heights of BB, but unlike BB it's consistent - a steady level of quality right the way through, episode after episode.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mattofthespurs

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2017, 05:30:20 PM »
Man, just finished the 1st season.
I love this show.
It's all good, man.

radiator

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 May, 2017, 07:33:53 AM »
I love it.

Weirdly, it does a few of the things that I usually hate about prequels, but I don't mind because its so well made and you can just tell everyone involved is really bringing their a game.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Droning on and on relentlessly since the 70s
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 May, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »
I love it.

Weirdly, it does a few of the things that I usually hate about prequels, but I don't mind because its so well made and you can just tell everyone involved is really bringing their a game.

It does a great job of kicking you in the stomach on a regular basis - I find myself looking at the newly painted office, at how supportive Kim is, how decent Ernie is, how Mike has avoided getting offed by either Hector or Gus, and thinking hey!  They'll work this out, Jimmy and Mike are as cunning and likeable as it's possible to be... it'll all be fine.

And only then do I remember I'm watching a prequel.

Must say, my ideal end for this show would be for it to stop just short of BB, then without skipping a beat resume Jimmy's story in the 'present':  see if he can get back on top after all.

Mardroid

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 May, 2017, 03:04:35 PM »
I haven't watched either of these shows.

Would you guys suggest it's best to start with the prequel (Better Call Saul) or watch it in production order?

Smith

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 May, 2017, 03:25:49 PM »
I have to say production order.

radiator

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 May, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »
Deffo Breaking Bad first.